I feel like I've been robbed

Gecko123

My step-daughter's just starting 11 grade, and on Saturday we moved her into an apartment about 50 kilometers away from our house so her commute to private school would be less brutal, and she'd be closer to her tutors. It's going to be wonderful for her. This afternoon I called her to see how she's doing, and she was playing volleyball with a group of classmates who live in the same town. She sounded so happy! She's just 20 minutes away from school, as opposed to an hour and a half away before, so tomorrow the commute's going to be a breeze for her.

She's just the greatest kid you could ever wish for. Everyone who knows her instantly falls in love with her, whether it's classmates, teachers, or just anyone. There's no question that moving her closer to school is best for her, and I'm really happy because I'm positive this was the right decision, but man, I'm torn up to see her move away. It's really a happy moment, but I feel like it's a happy moment that came two years too soon, and I'm just torn up beyond belief.

Can anyone offer me some words of comfort?

Edited by Gecko123

I work 21/21 so go through the torment of leaving my family every three weeks to work overseas,my daughter who is nearly two and of who's birthday I will miss next month doesn't understand why her daddy cries like a baby every three weeks on a Monday before departing the car and getting on the inter provincial bus.

That may or may not be of comfort to you though.

"She sounded so happy"

There you go, mate! thumbsup.gif

You gotta let it go! Can't cling forever.

Reminds me of one of my fav Buddha quotes, "In craving pleasure and in nursing pain, there is only sorrow"

If I were you, I'd put my feet up and have a cold beer - it makes the suffering easier.

Aside from that, the independence will be good for her. She will grow more in these 2 years than she would with you looking after her. A colleague of mine was telling me about one of his students, I think M5 or something, who went to Australia for a year, and when she came back he said she was completely different, so grown up (especially compared to the rest of her peers).

Edited by EmptyHead

You are only 1 and a half hours away, you can go there, she can come home in the holidays. You did a wonderful thing for her, but not for you....just think how good it will be when you see her again. There is Skype, Facetime, Line etc.

I know you feel sad now, but it will pass. All kids 'fly the nest' at some point in there lives, but girls are harder to let go....first hand experience on that one! Good luck mate.