New Traffic Law in Chiang Mai

2BOB

Did you know it is against the law to ride a motor bike in Chiang Mai whilst smoking. Yesterday traverling over Narrawat bridge ,pulled over usual police check, produced my thai license , all ok but not happy no fine,then he started to write me at 2000bt ticket for smoking whilst ridding my bike. This sent up a red flag,and i asked to see the big boss,no no he no come you pay,produced my phone to take his photo and said would go to police office to complain, soon backed off.

Warning to all dont smoke and ride.

It's not against the law, it's just a scam opportunity for the police.

I once saw the police stopping and fining motorbikes that had the rear footrests down with no passengers.

All the time people stand for it, such behaviour will continue.

You should be fined for gross stupidity for smoking, full stop.

Apparently there is a law where you are not permitted to use a mobile when riding a bike in the rain - seems to be very pratical as the 'spare hand' is already holding an umbrella

It's probably not the act of smoking, but he knows that the rider is going to casually throw his butt onto the road when he is finished.

It's called littering and there is a law against that.

Oh...and you don't look cool btw.

I'm all for any law prohibiting activities that require one or more hands be unavailable to steer the scooter and operate the brakes and horn.

And any law that prohibits leaving garbage in your wake.

Edited by impulse

Yes Boss, and for eating fatty foods, drinking too much, sleeping around with too many loose women ....

Seriously not sure if your pst was serious or not.

It was a serious joke I'm sure

It's probably not the act of smoking, but he knows that the rider is going to casually throw his butt onto the road when he is finished.

Really? there is a law against littering? Clearly not working, at least a gazillion trillion plastic bags on both sides of the road all the way from Bkk to Kalasin, no one gives a damn in Beautiful Thailand

Edited by Linzz

Saw a "Joe Cool" Thai on a "chopper" one day, smoking while he drove. Apparently an ash flew up in his eye, as his left hand shot up to his eye, causing his right hand to twist the throttle and jerk the wheel. Bike went one way and got trashed by a big pickup behind him, while he went the other and went "splat" on the road, all while trying to run through a red light. I was waiting at the light in the opposite direction, so I got to see the whole thing. Could only shake my head and chuckle.

2 things who knows if he would throw it on the ground.......and i doubt hes gives a t-oss what you think..about what is cool or not..get a life

It is against the law to ride a MC in my home country without having both hands on the handle grips ever since I can remember which is more than 40 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand had a similar law but like everything else is seldom enforced. It should be enforced and anyone smoking or talking on a cell phone should be fined. After all it is a distraction and everyone knows driving in Thailand requires 100% attention at all times.

Having said that my own son tried driving his scooter while holding a coke in one hand. Short story he crashed his bike but luckily he was driving slow and only the bike and his ego were hurt. He could have hurt someone else in the process. Why is it so hard for people to understand that without 2 hands on the wheel or handle grips they are an unsafe driver period.

you forgot to add also riding a motorbike in Thailand , but then in "some" cases also being born

2 things who knows if he would throw it on the ground.......and i doubt hes gives a t-oss what you think..about what is cool or not..get a life

"get a life" wow, what a cool response.

Ah, a preemptive fine no doubt.

It is against the law to ride a MC in my home country without having both hands on the handle grips ever since I can remember which is more than 40 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand had a similar law but like everything else is seldom enforced. It should be enforced and anyone smoking or talking on a cell phone should be fined. After all it is a distraction and everyone knows driving in Thailand requires 100% attention at all times.

Having said that my own son tried driving his scooter while holding a coke in one hand. Short story he crashed his bike but luckily he was driving slow and only the bike and his ego were hurt. He could have hurt someone else in the process. Why is it so hard for people to understand that without 2 hands on the wheel or handle grips they are an unsafe driver period.

Did he spill the coke?

Funny response...but you are crap at grammar. Please try harder.

All smokers throw their butts on the ground. Stat.

He didn't look like Steve McQueen on his 125cc Fino...but he thought he did.

Carry on.