Chiang Mai to Lampang by Bus?

bangmai

I need to go to Lampang City in the next few days...I've only been through there a few times, so it's pretty new to me. GreenBus goes there, and I have an agent next door, who will issue me a ticket. 91 THB..pretty simple. However, is there a less restrictive way to go? Do the Blue Songtaews that go to Lamphun from Worrorat Market get you near the Lamphun Bus Station? Once in Lamphun, are there lots of frequent buses going to Lampang? Or, should I go to Arcade without a ticket, and go from there. How frequent/easy is it to get from Arcade to Lampang? I do like to save THB, but it's more about being able to do it on my schedule and not have to worry about getting to Arcade at a set time...traffic can be unpredictable getting there from CMU area. Thanks!

I flew to Lampang recently and immediately went to the bus station to catch the bus to CM. I had no ticket but there were a couple of aircon buses leaving within 30 mins. The buses are ok but not as good as the VIP green bus that goes to Maesai. The green bus may be the most comfortable option? My bus took about 1 h 45 m. Buses are quite frequent so you can just turn up and get on next departure.

Just go to Arcade and you will be presented with so many different bus options and prices it will make your head spin. I would be very surprised if you had to wait longer than half hour. The government busses are the cheapest (the beat-upped green ones) at about 55 baht.

the GreenBus takes 90 minutes, and is 91 thb....105 minutes, unrestricted is probably a better move and more like 50 THB I believe. I am still curious about Blue to Lamphun, though. The extra distance from Worrorat to Arcade could cost more than the ticket to Lampang.

Always the train so long as your insured, and have a good lawyer in the god ole USA.

but, the trains seem to attract more Euro-Trash with bad body odor..so the bus is better. And, I actually know a few good attorneys in CNX, too.

Always the train so long as your insured, and have a good lawyer in the god ole USA.

but, the trains seem to attract more Euro-Trash with bad body odor..so the bus is better. And, I actually know a few good attorneys in CNX, too.

Nah, not for the usual daytime commuter train. It's cheap too and a good option if you feel like seeing some scenery.

If not then just get over to the Arcade bus station and get on any Lampang-bound bus. That's a lot faster, too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Troll, I would say. How difficult can it be to get from Chiang Mai to Lampang. It's only a day's walk if you want to save money. From the 91 Baht you can buy yourself a great meal somewhere in the middle of the track.and still get where you want. That is if you leave in time of course and have your walking boots on..

Oh, forgot...is OP from CMU??wink.png

Edited by hugocnx

train is ok for going there (evenings), but coming back takes 2:45..leaves in the middle of the night, and that is if it is on time. The only thing trolling is your head up your a@@. Thanks everyone else for the info! Maybe NCA will get that English website up in the next decade or so....maybe greenbus will fix theirs....

train is ok for going there (evenings), but coming back takes 2:45..leaves in the middle of the night, and that is if it is on time. The only thing trolling is your head up your a@@. Thanks everyone else for the info! Maybe NCA will get that English website up in the next decade or so....maybe greenbus will fix theirs....

There are several daytime departures. Most of them late, but still daytime.

You may be looking at the tourist train brochure that only lists a couple Special Express trains.

But feel free to take a bus back.

Or rent a moped for 150 Baht.

yes, hitchhiking wouldn't be bad....Back in January, I got stuck in CR for 5 hours, because all the CM buses were sold out. It had never happened to me in 10 years of going through there...always just showed up...but Lampang is closer, and all the BKK traffic would tend to go through it, or by it. And I'm just sleepless over the thought of no proper English breakfast or a nice 250 thb pint of 3 week old guiness to top off a long morning. It's a tough world out there.

The blue songteaws (which you can board either at Kad Luang or on the east side of the river opposite River Market) will take you directly to Lampang for 20 baht or less. Just an option. I'm not sure about trips to Lamphun or getting from Lampang to Lamphun as I've only taken the blue songteaws directly to Lampang and back.

Edited by CMBob

Troll, I would say. How difficult can it be to get from Chiang Mai to Lampang. It's only a day's walk if you want to save money. From the 91 Baht you can buy yourself a great meal somewhere in the middle of the track.and still get where you want. That is if you leave in time of course and have your walking boots on..

Oh, forgot...is OP from CMU??wink.png

He rents a student type apartment at cmu he's certainly not faculty or a student

Maybe NCA will get that English website up in the next decade or so....maybe greenbus will fix theirs....

or maybe you will learn to read some simple Thai since you live in Thailand.

The blue songteaws (which you can board either at Kad Luang or on the east side of the river opposite River Market) will take you directly to Lampang for 20 baht or less. Just an option. I'm not sure about trips to Lamphun or getting from Lampang to Lamphun as I've only taken the blue songteaws directly to Lampang and back.

wrong. there are no 20 Bath blue songtaews going to Lampang. nice try.

confused much, Bob?

Whoops.....yes, confused the two.....went to Lamphun. I've driven to Lampang and taken the train there but have never taken the bus or a songteaw there. Sorry.

Edited by CMBob

How much are cost of those blue busses by the Rimping river side?

Was interested as a day trip just to look around. do they have a set return time?

Was interested as a day trip just to look around. do they have a set return time?

the bus that goes to LAMPHUN is purple and is cheap. i forget how much exactly. to go to Lampang there are trains and buses. the train is a nice trip. go to Lampang for a day trip. not much to see but O.K. for a day trip i suppose.

Do not count on any website to give you correct train schedule... this is always in flux... better to go to the train station the day before and look at the hand written board that shows the schedule...

They go to Lamphun and depart regularly throughout the day, as soon as one is full or near full then it departs.