Chiang Mai to Lampang by Bus?

bangmai

I believe the main pick-up is very close to the flower/produce markets...they are good to use even to get to the Holiday Inn area. Not a good road to walk along. Lamphun is a good place to visit.

Wow what a strange thread.

A simple question was asked and I figured a few simple answers and that would be the end of it.

It then turned into something really quite bizarre.

Go figure.

A simple question was asked and I figured a few simple answers and that would be the end of it.

Go figure.

it was not a simple question at all. it was convoluted and peppered with bizarre statistics

need to go to Lampang City in the next few days...I've only been through there a few times, so it's pretty new to me. GreenBus goes there, and I have an agent next door, who will issue me a ticket. 91 THB..pretty simple. However, is there a less restrictive way to go? Do the Blue Songtaews that go to Lamphun from Worrorat Market get you near the Lamphun Bus Station? Once in Lamphun, are there lots of frequent buses going to Lampang? Or, should I go to Arcade without a ticket, and go from there. How frequent/easy is it to get from Arcade to Lampang? I do like to save THB, but it's more about being able to do it on my schedule and not have to worry about getting to Arcade at a set time...traffic can be unpredictable getting there from CMU area. Thanks!

The less restrictive way is just go to arcade and get on the next bus to Lampang. You could be moving within minutes or waiting up to 30 mins. If getting to Arcade is slow in gridlock traffic at the busy times and the songtaeow to Lamphun is easy, go to Lamphun and bus it from there. The slow way is the train and even slower when its not running on time.

When i used to visa run to Mae Sai i would cycle to arcade. The bike can always get through the worst traffic jams. It cost 5 baht to park when i got there . No pissing about with songtaow tuk tuk drivers quoting silly money or taking 45 minutes to get there from the city. When i got back to arcade i would pick up the bike up from "secure" parking and just cycle back to the city. 0 baht and faster than a songtaeow. If you dont have a motorcycle a bike is very handy in the city. The city is generally slow moving traffic clogged streets and a bike just cuts through it all.

Maybe NCA will get that English website up in the next decade or so....maybe greenbus will fix theirs....

or maybe you will learn to read some simple Thai since you live in Thailand.

An alphabet with 44 consonants, 26 vowels, special vowels plus all the tones? Give me a break, it takes the average Thai child about 4 years to master the Thai alphabet. I can speak reasonable Thai; however, at 72 I've got better things to do with my time.

Go figure.

it was not a simple question at all. it was convoluted and peppered with bizarre statistics

need to go to Lampang City in the next few days...I've only been through there a few times, so it's pretty new to me. GreenBus goes there, and I have an agent next door, who will issue me a ticket. 91 THB..pretty simple. However, is there a less restrictive way to go? Do the Blue Songtaews that go to Lamphun from Worrorat Market get you near the Lamphun Bus Station? Once in Lamphun, are there lots of frequent buses going to Lampang? Or, should I go to Arcade without a ticket, and go from there. How frequent/easy is it to get from Arcade to Lampang? I do like to save THB, but it's more about being able to do it on my schedule and not have to worry about getting to Arcade at a set time...traffic can be unpredictable getting there from CMU area. Thanks!

why not drive there. I've done it many times, it's not the lease bit daunting. perhaps I can give you a lift.

At the Arcade Bus Station you will have many options, and probably no more than 30 minutes waiting. At the new Arcade, Green Bus and others....at the old Arcade cross street, the cheap, slow, and old Green Bus (not recommended) and the Green Vans...and also the Nakonchai Air buses (not very often). If you are not in a hurry, the Green Bus at the new Arcade may be the best option, tickets just at the bus station entry lobby.

Maybe NCA will get that English website up in the next decade or so....maybe greenbus will fix theirs....

An alphabet with 44 consonants, 26 vowels, special vowels plus all the tones? Give me a break, it takes the average Thai child about 4 years to master the Thai alphabet. I can speak reasonable Thai; however, at 72 I've got better things to do with my time.

If you speak reasonable Thai, learning to read some simple Thai is a lot easier than you probably expect. A lot of the complex stuff is infrequently used so not necessary to sort out some basic reading.

Some people prefer not to be illiterate. Also it actually helps learning to speak Thai if you have a way to write it down. (That doesn't involve some silly transliteration scheme that's of no use.)