Known American scammer cheats Thai Man in Pattaya out of 32,000 Baht

webfact

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm obviously the odd man out here but I absolutely detest people (of any nationality) who prey on the loneliness of others to scam money from them. If this Thai man was genuinely looking for love or simply a better life for himself...... who of us is any different. I would certainly not like this to have happened to either myself or someone near to me. It is the lowest of the lowest acts on this earth. When the scammers received the money I hope they both crawled back under their slimy rock for a long long time to come.

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes me more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more have been lost.

Well put. Many of the posters here are transferring their obvious loathing for Thais onto this poor guy. I'm sure it was a lot of money for him and it's going to take a long time to build up that lost savings again . And so what if he's gay? He's a human being who has everyday struggles like the rest of us.

So, they 100% know it was an "American Scammer"? Based on what, his pictures from a website? The Philippines used to be notorious for men posing as women, complete with pictures, working online to scam people out of money, all in the name of "love".

Yes... and I doubt he could tell an American accent from someone who can speak English perfectly but may not be an English speaker. He only saw pics of him. Could be a fellow Thai.

I'm obviously the odd man out here but I absolutely detest people (of any nationality) who prey on the loneliness of others to scam money from them. If this Thai man was genuinely looking for love or simply a better life for himself...... who of us is any different. I would certainly not like this to have happened to either myself or someone near to me. It is the lowest of the lowest acts on this earth. When the scammers received the money I hope they both crawled back under their slimy rock for a long long time to come.

I am sorry for the outburst.....my motto " Whatever you say....say it with love" failed me badly on this occasion but this type of thing probably vexes me more than anything else I can think of.

I am one of the lucky ones...over the years I have become a little "street wise" and feel so sorry for people who have to go through the pain of being "had" like this. In some cases peoples life savings and even more have been lost.

Well put. Many of the posters here are transferring their obvious loathing for Thais onto this poor guy. I'm sure it was a lot of money for him and it's going to take a long time to build up that lost savings again . And so what if he's gay? He's a human being who has everyday struggles like the rest of us.

I agree totally with you.

Wow, what a hideous crime, the poor victim... Thousands of foreigners are cheated out of their life savings, houses, cars, bikes, boats, business partnerships, whatever in Thailand by Thais on an almost daily basis and this Thai gay lover losing a pittance to a westerner makes headlines? You must be e##in' kidding me!!! 1zgarz5.gif

Edited by MockingJay

Dotpoom! I would like to ask a very simple question to you since you are sympathizing with the scammed man. If someone carries $300000 (money that is used internationally and accepted everywhere-Thailand inclusive), and they are asked just 75000 baht. Why would they not take just about $2300 from the $300000 that they are carrying to pay the custom? A judicious use of sense will let you know that one can't be carrying so much money but needs a small amount of money from you to pay for anything whatsoever. He is so so gullible. I was waiting for $300000 so he could even spare 100000 baht for a man he has never met. Som na nar at its best.

Scams only work because people keep falling for them, all the world over. Hard to believe how you can go through life living just by your heart, or by greed.

Edited by stoli

If he was dumb enough to loose 65M, you wonder how he was ever smart to accumlate that fortune ??

I have to say all the foreign scammers are amateurs.

They should take lessons from Thai scammers who take people for all life savings, houses, cars etc.

Like Irish the other day, was taken for 65 million.

He says a bank loan was made in his name fraudulently by bankers and the court deemed it his responsibility to continue paying for the loan.

Cant they just trace the bank account(s) the money was sent to?

If he had have conned the $300,000 out of his ¨victim¨all would have been good, but the indignation of being caught out at your own game......

But the thing is there was nothing wrong in his mind with what he had in mind, but the ¨American¨ was a crook and should be arrested!!

The crime pales in comparison to child molestation, and a hundred other I could mention.

+1

Beat me to it.

People that abuse and exploit children are the lowest scum imaginable.

Sorry for the young Thai fella, he won't do it again.

Newsheadline --- Know Thai woman scammer and lawyers etc cheat Farang lover out of life savings ...No one takes a blind bit of notice

Thai scammers have a license to scam farang.....farangs don't have that license, big difference :-(

This scammer was probably not American but a Nigerian, not I wouldn't put it past a Yank if he thought he could get away with it, but Nigerians posing as Americans to scam the vulnerable lovelorn is quite common.

You are 100% correct. The scammed are not learning any lessons from similar stories. The pathos is too poignant.

It was internet and voice. How can there be a warrant out for the arrest of a man whose name, nationality and whereabouts are unknown?

"Alert Officers, we are putting an APB out on the Boogeyman. Do you copy?"

Worse, the con-artist claimed to have 300k, but could not pay out 77,000 baht? The Thai was allegedly ripped off (allegedly, because nothing I read in the news here makes 100% sense) but needs serious remedial math.

blink.png

Edited by FangFerang

The scammer and his accomplish pulled this scam off to perfection and should be congratulated, as for the young Thai lad he will just have to move on a learn from this.

Wow, just wow. There's a lot of very unhappy people here and why I often don't read through a lot of comments. Feel sorry for a significant number of you.

1. Because some Thai's scam foreigners, well tough luck mate. It's karma (although the guy getting scammed here could very well be a perfectly decent human being).

2. This happens everywhere. People prey on people wanting companionship, yet magically, Thailand, blah blah.

3. I doubt he was likely hoping to scam the guy 'coming to meet him' as some have suggested. What scammer would pay someone else money, in the hope of scamming them more later on.

4. This guy like many others, simply believed in the genuineness of someone else and was taken advantage of. Just like I was by an Englishman a few years ago in Chiang Mai, who I genuinely thought needed help. Too bad he was another scumbag. The world is screwed because people lack compassion for others. Lack of compassion allows scammers to behave like they do with no thoughts for others. When people get screwed over there goes their compassion for others and the cycle just spirals downwards.

I feel sorry for the guy. I don't think it's karma getting him (where's the proof he did anything to anyone), unlike half of the posts suggest. <deleted>.

Newsheadline --- Know Thai woman scammer and lawyers etc cheat Farang lover out of life savings ...No one takes a blind bit of notice

as it always does..... the worm has turned

If he had have conned the $300,000 out of his ¨victim¨all would have been good, but the indignation of being caught out at your own game......

But the thing is there was nothing wrong in his mind with what he had in mind, but the ¨American¨ was a crook and should be arrested!!

There is a picture of a woman from an ID card in the linked story which i assume is from the bank account. Since she appears to be the only person who really exists there is nothing to indicate this isn't just a Thai on Thai scam.

It seems that most people on this thread take the label 'love scam' for granted because it started on a dating site. Well, call me a pessimist, but I am utterly convinced that love had nothing whatsoever to do with it. There are many different types of scams, but they all use the same lever, and that lever is greed. The Thai guy paid because he was hooked financially not emotionally.

The American told the Thai guy that he would buy a bar, and the Thai guy saw an opportunity to make quick and easy money. Given the chance he would probably have squeezed the farang's money dry. In Thailand, thousands of bars open and close in a wink because 90% of them are just a way to siphon a naive (and often enamoured) farang, nothing to do with regular businesses. Especially because regular businesses involve actual work, and work is the last thing a newly-appointed Thai 'boss' would want to do.

Edited by Yann55

There is a picture of a woman from an ID card in the linked story which i assume is from the bank account. Since she appears to be the only person who really exists there is nothing to indicate this isn't just a Thai on Thai scam.

Good point and the only one that should matter.

It's a Thai scammed by a Thai - nobody knows any other people involved... so far, at least.