Transfer Retirement Extension to New Passport

Although my passport is several years away from expiry, my pages are almost filled up (as I travel quite a bit), therefore I plan to get a new passport during an upcoming summer holiday trip to Canada.

My question is do I need to do anything prior to my trip to Canada regarding my existing retirement extension/visa which expires in October or do I, upon my return to Suvarnabhumi in July provide my new passport, my old passport with the visa/retirement extension for re-entry into Thailand and then go to Chaeng Wattana to transfer the visa/retirement extension to the new passport?

Thanks

Ask your passport issuing authority to only clip the corners of the cover and the personal information page of your old passport, not the whole passport.

Tell them about your Thai visa situation.

Edited by KarenBravo

You do not have a "visa"

If you wish to retain your extension of stay a " re-entry" permit should be obtained PRIOR to your departure.

On return present both old and new passports to immigration.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that I already have a multiple re-entry permit - question is upon return with my new passport (and old passport) at Suvarnabhuni is my current retirement extension/multiple re-entry permit still valid from the old passport and will allow me entry into the kingdom after which I can go to immigration and get the retirement extension/multiple re-entry permit transferred to the new passport? Has anybody recently done this and were there are specifics that need to be addressed before leaving Thailand so that I don't have to start the entire Non-immigrant Visa/extension process again?

Everything in your old passport will still be valid. They will just look at the re-entry permit when you enter the country and stamp you into the country in the new passport.

Then you will go to immigration to have your stamps transferred. Dependent upon the immigration office you have to use you may need a letter from your embassy requesting they transfer the stamps.