Nong Hoi Area Pros and Cons

stament

My wife is now leaning towards this area. I've heard the area can flood at times? Can anyone advise the pros and cons of this area as well as recommend any particular areas or moobans with songtaew access close by please?

Read about one near plaza 89

Thanks

Pro is close to the city and roads south, con is that, as you mentioned, when flooding starts, Nong Hoi is the first to go. Nong Hoi means, roughly, "mussel swamp," which tells you that it's a low-lying area.

However, based on your preferences, I would recommend that you stay closer to your kids' school and not shy away from having your own transport. It may seem intimidating at first, but driving (a car) in Chiang Mai isn't particularly difficult or unsafe, and it will transform your experience. Welcome, and good luck.

Edited by Puwa

Sampalyang is a mooban 5 minutes walk from Plaza 89, just beyond the defunct UFO Bowling. It is quiet, friendly and traffic free. Four years ago the streets were flooded but the water was not high enough to flood houses. A refugee vehicle came round and dished out fried chicken and rice and bottled water and my neighbour launched a boat so it was quite an event. No problems since. There are a couple of houses available for rent/sale and I can recommend the place. The first house I saw in Chiang Mai is the one I am in now.

It is very convenient to town. Songtaews available from Plaza 89. It takes about 15 minutes by bicycle or m/bike and it's also quite close to Promenada and the Super Highway. Good for children, swimming pool in the mooban, no obvious drawbacks. Recommended.

I would advise driving around the area and exploring. There are pros and cons with every housing community. A nice house but with noisy neighbors might drive you nuts. For condos their is a nice one across from the nong hoi market.

Are you looking for rentals or going to buy a house, or buy land and build a house?

Palm Springs community is quite lovely but pricey. There are also housing developments that are as cheap as 300k baht a unit. There are lower end communities with a lot of labor class, there are high end communities with 5k baht a month community fees. Nong Hoi has it all.

The only draw back is the lack of good eateries near by. There are a few places and they are excellent but choice is limited. The nice thing is that the Super highway is right there and you can pretty much get around anywhere in the city in less than 15 minutes.

I personally think that either CM VILLA 1 or 2 or Chiang Mai Land are a little better than Nong Hoi and only a few minutes away.

As for transportation Nong HOi is a major route for Songtheaws so no big deal with that. Tuk tuk are pretty common in that area also. You are also near the hospital and smaller clinics.

It has been getting more crowded on that road over the past years. During school rush, you will need to leave 30 minutes early if not on motorcycle. It is gridlocked during that time.

Nong Hoi floods, the apartment building mentioned "Riverside" had 2 meters of water on the ground floor during the last big one. Despite the Ping barricades, the flooding also comes from the water table. Chances are it will happen again.

Never been to Nong Kai quite happy in Chiang Mai.

Where is Nong Kai?

Nong Hoi is part of Chiang Mai and has the very good hospital Rajavej in it.

Certainly agree about Rajavej hospital. Not a designer building but good professional and friendly medical care and very reasonable fees.

Edited by scorecard

There is a nice quiet moobaan in Nong Hoi usually with plenty of decent houses to rent or buy. It's called "Home in Town". Turn left off the main Chiang Mai - Lamphun road at the Police Station and you will see the entrance on the right-hand side after about 200m. If you drive around you can see some houses with for sale or for rent signs outside. My son had a good 3 bedroom detached house there for 12,000 per month. Another advantage is that it's relatively crime free because quite a lot of police live in the area

Nong Hoi floods, the apartment building mentioned "Riverside" had 2 meters of water on the ground floor during the last big one. Despite the Ping barricades, the flooding also comes from the water table. Chances are it will happen again.

CNXTim, just give correct info to the people. Riverside, just as the Holiday Inn hotel have never flooded. Both buildings are about 5 meter above street level.

You confuse with Galae Thong condominium which is on the other side of the Ping River and 500 m west of Riverside. That building was indeed flooded.

Get your facts right before posting please.

The facts are that the first level of Riverside did flood in 2009/10. The bottom was covered with mud for a few days and clean up was a nightmare. So the person does have his/her facts straight.

CNXTim, Zeichen, one must have some pictures of the flooding on the first level I guess. Someone show us those please. I have been living at Riverside during your mentioned period 2009/10. In fact used to live there for 10 years before moving out a while ago. I have NEVER seen water and mud on the first level. NEVER. That means the parking must have been under water completely as the first floor is about half a meter above the parking. All this while the parking runs off to the street which is a few meters below.

Just show some pics please. Would like to see.

The bottom is the parking lot. My friends car was totally covered in mud. Cost him over 5k baht to have it cleaned. I never said the lobby. I said the bottom.

As to the other poster perhaps ground floor also meant the parking. I am not sure.

If you lived there during the flood, you must have not left your room. The entire entrance to the street was engulfed. Walking to the street was waist level.

holiday inn is at a higher elevation than riverside but its lower parking lot was covered as well.

As for pictures sorry, I don't take photos. I never thought I would have to "Prove myself" to a keyboard warrior.

Sorry Zeichen,

NOT BELIEVE A SINGLE WORD. What is your agenda?

What you say is just IMPOSSIBLE. Holiday inn and Riverside are at the same level. Parking level of both buildings is the same level above sea and Ping river. Walking between Riverside lobby and Chiang Mai - Lamphun street being at waist height in the water and mud is just IMPOSSIBLE being the street and Ping river a few meters below parking level.

As for your friend: he also has no pictures taken from his car full of mud and costs 50.000 Baht to clean???????? Come on Zeichen. We all have a smartphone with a camera. Who is your friend? Which condo is he living in? Would like to talk to him when I visit my friends at Riverside. Good laugh guaranteed.

I left my condo every day during the floods. Yes difficult on the road but not on the parkings. In fact, I left many times a day to watch the flooding at Gymkana and Galae Thong which was completely inundated.

Yes Zeichen, you will need to prove yourself. Sorry for that but I like to see pictures of events going against all laws of nature.

Actually since there are others posters who have backed my claim, why not post pictures that you took proving us wrong.

You have the agenda trying to sell a condo that you owned there. Why would I ever give you the name of my friend, when you are hostile, argumentative and just plain rude.

", I left many times a day to watch the flooding at Gymkana"

Really, Gymkana was closed during that flood and had serious clean up, want to try another lie.

You are a troll and misquote people so discussion is over. (5k is 5,000 baht, not 50,000 math man)

Three of my friends live in Nong Hoi; one even in "suffering" Riverside. They are not wet behind the ears when it comes to choosing where to live in Chiang MaiI.

Ignore the naysayers, I agree there may have been a problem with flooding in the past but they don't spend 2 years building a flood defence wall if its not going to do a job.

.....and not only that; its the home to the best pizza restaurant in Chiang Mai............but you know that already; if you read this forum.

Most of us aren't naysayers. I actually live in the NOng Hoi area and own property there. The 2-3 days of flooding every 5-10 years isn't bad. But people should be aware. Riverside are nice condos. Not once did I piss on them. Just stated the fact that they did suffer from the last major flood as did most places in that area. It only lasted a few days though.

Ok, where is this pizza place? Not that I eat pizza more than once every few years, but if it is that good will have to give it a try.

I have just spoken with a long term resident of Riverside and he tells me that, other than the car park, the building itself, even ground floor, has never flooded in all his years there. The street is way below the building level so of course any potential flood water runs off.

And since the last 'floods', large new water management sluices have been installed on Mae Ping, so it seems to have an even lower risk of Nong Hoi in general, and Riverside in,particular, flooding.

• 1 month later...

I live across the road from 89 Plaza, turn by the police station, the soi leads to the two Moobaans mentioned: Home in Town and Sanplayan. I live in between these two moobaans. The 89 Plaza road get rather big puddles of water during the heavy rains, but I would not call it flooding. Both moobaans mentioned are old, houses mostly for rent, some for sale. But, both are very secure, many farangs living (families actually, kids). I find the area very convient. 89 Plaza has a market on Mon and Weds late afternoons/evening. Lots of food and clothes. Also, there's a food court open daily in the back by the parking lot.

In 2011, the area between 89 Plaza and the river did not flood but to the east of 89 Plaza was flooded to the railway line. Flooding further south was vice versa, flooded on the river side, not on the east. Further north it was all flooded. These floods happen roughly every 7-8 years, in 2011 my house on Moo Baan Siri Wattana was under water for 2 days.

But even in the 2011 floods there were many parts of Siriwattana that didn't get affected badly. Nong Hoi is an underrated place to live - it's convenient for town as long as you don't want to always travel in the rush hour and Varee School is reachable by bicycle or on foot. Flooding potential should be checked on a street by street basis when you are really looking for a home.