How many years can someone stay on education visa?

Just asking out of curiosity about someone I know, not for myself. Firstly, how long can someone continue to do the 3 month extensions to their education visa? Secondly, if they finish with their education visa yet still want to stay longer, if they did a border run, would they be able to get 30 days or more? This person has been on an education visa for over 2 years, I think.

it depends on the education you are following: university/formal education or something like a Langiage course.

For language courses and such one can only stay for up to 1 year with 3 monthly extension in Thailand and then has to leave and apply for a new ED-visa.

Yes, with a border run they would get up to 30 days (depending on their nationality and mode of transport).

I think it also varies depending on location. One (well known) language school in Bangkok said as of the new regulations (last August/Sept) that the most you can do there is 1.5yrs, essentially 6 months per level (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced). My school in Phuket has also stated the exact same thing and ties up with my current schedule (I finished my first course and just took the Beginner test at Ministry of Education to allow me to apply for my 2nd ED Visa and move onto the Intermediate level). Apparently in Pattaya they didn't follow these latest regulations and kept to their own so you can do 3yrs.

One of the teachers explained to me that it's essentially max 3 visas - so if the local government lets you extend (every 3 months) after each visa to make 1yr total, then you have 3yrs overall (like Pattaya if that's still the case), or if its only 6 months then you only have 1.5yrs (Phuket/Bangkok). This also makes sense as for one of my fellow students who got his first visa and extension for 1yr (before the changes), but the last two visas he can apply for will follow new regulations and just cover 6 months each (3 month visa, 3 month extension).

You can do 3 years then u can do 1 more year advanced thai.

Not any more.

It's become really hard to get a second year at a language school.

Most schools stopped offering the second year recently (in the last month).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Devil's advocate, you could renew your passport for a fresh one every two years, change schools, and stay forever.

Similar thing with tourist visas and changing consulates.

If you just want to stay though and have hit a plateau in your level of Thai, just switch to tourist visas and self-study, that's what I did. Could only learn so much from classroom lessons. Once you can read, just start reading novels, Pantip forums, websites etc. yourself to master it, don't need a teacher at that point. Hire a private one on one tutor while you're on tourist visas, reinvest the money you save by being on tourist visas (assuming you're doing those quite cheaply, train journeys to Laos etc.).

Edited by jspill

You can now only study for maximum of 1 year, than you have to leave the country and get a new ED-visa. Even if continuing at the same school. You still can study a few years, but simply have to make a new ED-visa every year.

Three years.

When my 3 years were up, I looked for a place that would do advanced Thai for a fourth year. Nobody offers it.

If anyone knows of a place, please tell me. I would happily take the class, even without the visa.

After your 3 years studying Thai, you can get a visa to study another language: Chinese, Japanese, or English. I have been told that western Europeans will not be allowed to get a visa to study English. I believe you can only get a total of 10 months to study those languages. I don't know if that 10 month visa can be renewed, I'll let you know when my 10 months have finished!

Added: Mario is correct, you gotta leave the country each year to get a new student visa to study Thai.

Edited by timmyp

You can now only study for maximum of 1 year, than you have to leave the country and get a new ED-visa. Even if continuing at the same school. You still can study a few years, but simply have to make a new ED-visa every year.

Same as before then, the law says you can have ED visa for 5 years as long as you are under 99 years old.

Same as before then, the law says you can have ED visa for 5 years as long as you are under 99 years old.

???????

Where does the law says that? it says no such thing as 5 years allowed.

Added: Mario is correct, you gotta leave the country each year to get a new student visa to study Thai.

More correctly is that your passport need to leave the country each year...

And you have to leave with it. More than one person has over the years gotten in serious trouble because their passport left the country without them. It can mean arrest and deportation (immediately if your lucky).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

???????

Where does the law says that? it says no such thing as 5 years allowed.

Is there a link to that specific law? Understandably it'd be in Thai, just curious though if you have it. I can read Thai.

When you guys say that you have to leave the country to get a new ED-visa, do you mean that you must return back to your home of origin (US, UK, AUS, etc) and obtain all of the letters and docs from your language school, etc. as you did the first time you applied for the visa? You are not talking about just leaving the country to Laos or Singapore to do this, correct? What is the closest country to Thailand that you can fly to apply for a new ED-visa--Australia? Thanks

When you guys say that you have to leave the country to get a new ED-visa, do you mean that you must return back to your home of origin (US, UK, AUS, etc) and obtain all of the letters and docs from your language school, etc. as you did the first time you applied for the visa? You are not talking about just leaving the country to Laos or Singapore to do this, correct? What is the closest country to Thailand that you can fly to apply for a new ED-visa--Australia? Thanks

They mean Laos. Dont need to go back to uk/us/aus

Officially,indefinitely, if you change subjects after each course, ie Thai/English/Chinese/Japanese/etc.

Doing border run you get 3 months and very rarely tested, although one guy was and refused entry (reported here).

in BKK/Pataya it's getting expensive doing extensions at 5K each, the rest of the country seems ok