Music streaming apps?

dddave

Tidal works, and costs far less in Thailand than it does in the West:

http://tidal.com/th

179 Baht/month for access to 25M tunes, all legit, no VPN needed, Thai cards accepted, first 30 days free.

Works very well, but the app can be a PITA as you search and build playlists... "back button hell" :(

Don't be put off by the homepage - it's not all urban and rap - it's got everything, even Thai music tongue.png

Edited by IMHO

Deezer works. I got a free year for buying a Sonos player.

Thank you for the heads-up on this - indeed it is available in TH, no VPN, no BS, for 179 Baht/month (same price as Tidal). They also accept PayPal (which Tidal don't).

I did some quick testing, and it appears their library has the same limitations as the Tidal one (e.g. no original artist version of "Days Like This" by Van Morrison [one of my favorite end of day commute tunes :P ]).. so, so far content seems about the same between the two - even the search results look the same (e.g. a list of karaoke tracks if the tune you're after isn't supported).

I've only listened on a pair of relatively basic Shure earbuds so far (SE425's), so haven't yet had a chance to properly compare SQ against Tidal's "hifi" (lossless) audio, and haven't yet had an oppty to use their device app either.. Maybe I'll report back on these if there's any further interest in this thread.

But good to know there's more options, thanks! smile.png

Edited by IMHO

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Slow learner so I'll try one at a time. Downloaded "RDIO" Only got a 48 hr. "trial version". What does it cost for the permanent version?

IMHO: Van Morrison does it for me also: You might put this on after work drive list "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibhVMphqfjA

Edited by dddave

I've only listened on a pair of relatively basic Shure earbuds so far (SE425's), so haven't yet had a chance to properly compare SQ against Tidal's "hifi" (lossless) audio, and haven't yet had an oppty to use their device app either.. Maybe I'll report back on these if there's any further interest in this thread.

Deezer are rolling out a hi-def service for an extra charge.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/deezer-elite-sonos-global/

Rdio ... 159 baht per month. I've been a member for several months. All in all a decent service. Much more content than Tidal.

As opposed to something stated before, Tidal does accept Paypal.

No Days Like this by Van Morrison - just the same covers and karaoke versions as Deezer and Tidal :(

Just got myself three months of Spotify for 99 cents.

1 - Set VPN to USA and sign up for an account.

2 - Follow the link to the offer page

3 - Use US CC or US Paypal account to pay the 99 cents.

Personally I think Spotify is the best provider. But also no album of Van Morrison as mentioned. Perhaps that album has been published by another company or the rights have not been secured.

There seem to be misunderstanding. You can refrain from using a vpn (after signing up) to use Spotify but you need a Premium account. On free accounts you can only use it upto 14 days outside the US (or country you signed up in). After that you have to use a VPN if you have a free account.

Edited by sniffdog

• 3 weeks later...

Apple Music launched yesterday, and is available in TH without any VPN:

http://www.apple.com/asia/music/discover/

The price is good at the moment, but will it stay at that level?

No Sonos support for now, but due before the end of the year.

As far as I know there's still no FLAC support in Itunes which makes it pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. I dont fancy converting my 80,000+ track FLAC library to ALAC. And I dont like Apple software anyway and would prefer to avoid installing it all together.

Apple Music launched yesterday, and is available in TH without any VPN:

http://www.apple.com/asia/music/discover/

The price is good at the moment, but will it stay at that level?

No Sonos support for now, but due before the end of the year.

As far as I know there's still no FLAC support in Itunes which makes it pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. I dont fancy converting my 80,000+ track FLAC library to ALAC. And I dont like Apple software anyway and would prefer to avoid installing it all together.

The whole point of a music streaming service is those 80,000 tracks you've either downloaded or transcoded become a thing of the past ;) Sadly though, no lossless music options that I can see in Apple Music yet. Tidal still wins there (but only there).

They also don't have "Days Like This" BTW - it seems that track is for transcoding only. The good thing about Apple music is the way it seamlessly integrates your own music library with the online one - but if you have a hatred for iTunes, or aversion to anything Apple, Apple Music definitely isn't for you :P

The reason why these music services are 50% of the price in the US is simple. In Thailand you don't get the same as so many songs and albums are not available here. For me Spotify US is still the best unless you feel you miss all the Thai songs you get here.

Edited by sniffdog

The reason why these music services are 50% of the price in the US is simple. In Thailand you don't get the same as so many songs and albums are not available here. For me Spotify US is still the best unless you feel you miss all the Thai songs you get here.

Go an example of a track or album that is available streaming in the US and not here?

Many examples ... but to pleasure you here's one ... cheap trick - sgt pepper. Or Tyga ... the gold album:18th dynasty. If you find albums with missing greyed out songs you bet they are available in the us. Example ... Alesso - Forever album - Track 11. Not in Thailand but in the us.

Now show me non thai/asian songs which are available here but not in the us.

Edited by sniffdog

Many examples ... but to pleasure you here's one ... cheap trick - sgt pepper. Or Tyga ... the gold album:18th dynasty. If you find albums with missing greyed out songs you bet they are available in the us. Example ... Alesso - Forever album - Track 11. Not in Thailand but in the us.

Now show me non thai/asian songs which are available here but not in the us.

Deezer has the Tyga Album, and track 11 of the Alesso album (which it actually a Calvin Harris track). It doesn't have that Cheap Trick live in concert album though....