Flight Paths, Holding Patterns And Airplane Noise

my benny rai

I assume it will operate a lot like the current airport, one runway for take-offs and one for landings. The new airport is a bit safer as landing aircraft do not have to (potentially) cross an active runway. If prevailing winds are the same at the new airport expect to land from the north to the south on runway 19R (or L), and take off to the south on runway 19L (or R).

These can/do change at the old airport, occasionally, when the approach for landing is from the south (over Bangkok) for runway 3L, and take-offs to the north on runway 3R.

I don't think I've ever experienced a true holding pattern (looping around an oval with say 20 mile legs) coming in to BKK, but they obviously exist and are published? Usually ATC slows the plane down, and then maybe swings it a bit to the north (I usually approach from the northeast, overflying Danang) before continuing our approach to Don Maung.

I expect noise will be greatest in the vicinity south of the new airport?

In the document "Aeronautical Information" from AOT which can be downloaded from their website or from here:

Aironautical Information Suvarnabhumi Airport

you can find the information about approach and departure routes, holding patterns and modes of operation of the two runways.

This is a very large file!

But you will find no information in this document about noese pattern.

More about noise pollution you can find in this article:

noise pollution Suvarnabhumi Airport

Hi Lomatopo,

holding patterns are mostly determined by time and not distance. Normally below 14000 ft you fly one minute legs, so a standard hold takes 4 minutes. Above 14000 ft you would change the leg time to 1.5 minutes. This is all done on modern aircraft through the flight managment computer which also has the option to plan a hold based on a distance. This would normally be done after a request from air traffic control.

Both runways, 21 left and 21 right in don muang are used for take offs and landings, however most take offs are conducted on the right runway due to the location of the terminal building. 21 left is mostly used for landing however a request for the right side is granted from time to time.

I work for an airline based in the middle east and we still do not have any information for the new airport. We would normally have the information for a new destination/airport about 1 month prior to the operation starting.