Thai govt not worried about foreign opinion on Prayut's power extension: Spokesman

webfact

Thai Govt Not Worried About Foreign Opinion on Prayut's Power Extension: Spokesman
By Khaosod English

14337461701433746229l.jpg
Thai junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha leading students government officials in an oath against corruption at the Government House, 8 June 2015.

BANGKOK — Thailand's military government is not concerned with the international community's reaction to a proposal that junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-och stay in power for two more years, a spokesperson said.

"There has been no reaction from foreign [governments], and it is not something that should concern us either," said Maj.Gen. Weerachon Sukhondhapatipak .

He was referring to a measure, put forth by 26 members of the junta-appointed National Reform Council (NRC), that calls for holding a referendum on whether Gen. Prayuth should push elections back by two more years in order to complete his government’s reform projects.

"Sometimes, foreigners have to listen to Thai people's opinions," he said. "If foreigners disagree with some issues that are the desires of Thai people, to whom should we give more importance, fellow Thai people or foreigners?"

The spokesperson said that foreign governments would have no grounds to protest the measure if it was accepted by the Thai people in a national vote.

"It would be considered the consensus of the country," he said.

Under the junta's current "road map" for the return to civilian rule, the next election is scheduled to take place in September 2016 at the earliest.

After seizing power, Gen. Prayuth appointed the NRC to propose reforms across a variety of sectors - including politics, economy, culture, and media, among others - and assist with the drafting of a new charter. The military government has also used emergency powers to enact other reform measures aimed at solving with issues like land encroachment and human trafficking.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1433746170

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-08

For once I think he is being forthright with us. He knows the West is going to most likely ban seafood imports and TPP is going to hurt as well. One of the few known provisions in the TPP is Japan is going to substantially reduce rice imports from Thailand so he probably sees the writing on the wall for Japan too.

He is already moving toward Chinese/Thai or Russian/Thai association. Next is Cobra Gold is moved out of Thailand and sanctions imposed on the junta. Could be a long long time until he steps down...

Army Commander General Udomdej Sitabutr has insisted that the current government has no intention to stay in power as rumored

I'll stay on if people want me to: PM

Campaign to seek 2 more years for PM

Thailand's military government is not concerned with the international community's reaction to a proposal that junta chairman Gen. Prayuth Chan-och stay in power for two more years, a spokesperson said.

Prawit insists NCPO will strictly follow the roadmap to democracy

Make your choice coffee1.gif

Edited by Anthony5

"Sometimes, foreigners have to listen to Thai people's opinions," he said. "If foreigners disagree with some issues that are the desires of Thai people, to whom should we give more importance, fellow Thai people or foreigners?"

Why exactly? Even YOU don't listen to 'Thai peoples' opinions', they're not allowed to express one for fear of having their attitudes adjusted. Some of the absolute anti farang crap being dished out regularly by this muppet is being swallowed by certain of the Thai populace and they're not the 'prai' disparaged so many times on this forum. From personal experience they are the already nationalistic Yellows. 'General Prayut says there's a farang hairdresser in Bangkok who charges 800k for a haircut'. general Prayut says that foreigners smell because they eat bread.' Ad infinitum I must listen to this shit from my ex university professor neighbour. My lowly taxi driver, on the other hand, laughs at him and asks when are these 'reforms' supposed to come into place haha! And BTW, I believe P cares very very much about what is thought of him both internationally and domestically. Fragile little egotist that he is.

nah just the light catching the angle of his eye. if u forget they aint elected:blink: in fairness the junta apart from the wages issue aint doing to bad a job . but the re introduction of regional wages could well be a huge mistake.

A digression ...

Out of his usual military uniform or business suit, and into khaki civil servant attire ..... I don't mean to be disparaging, but in the photo he looks exactly like my gardener!

The resemblance is uncanny ... however, my gardener is definitely not pro-Junta (as he's from the nort-east)..

Edit - my part-time gardener is employed by the BMA, and moonlights/does light garden chores one afternoon a week, and sometimes arrives on his bike still in his BMA garb. I'll try to take a photo of him the next time he comes, for comparison.

Edited by tx22cb

Of course Thai people will support him. Nothing but good news about him and his struggles against corruption, troublemakers, foreign plotters. If there is a hint of that, they are put out of business.

A digression ...

Out of his usual military uniform or business suit, and into khaki civil servant attire ..... I don't mean to be disparaging, but in the photo he looks exactly like my gardener!

The resemblance is uncanny ... however, my gardener is definitely not pro-Junta (as he's from the nort-east)..

Edit - my part-time gardener is employed by the BMA, and moonlights/does light garden chores one afternoon a week, and sometimes arrives on his bike still in his BMA garb. I'll try to take a photo of him the next time he comes, for comparison.

Oh, please do!! We can't wait!!! clap2.gif

Edited by eeworldwide

Am I the only one that sees this photo?

The boy on the left of Prayut looks either extremely upset or moderately terrified.

Hummm, makes you wonder where the General's right hand is. cheesy.gif

You mean left ;)

If he leave before everything is done, we'll have exactly the same again in 2-5 years.

Better stay 2-3 years longer and complete the task to ensure the guy from Montenegro won't come back again.

If Thailand is serious about ending the last 10 years+ of political chaos, they must completely purge the knuckle-dragging savages that have embedded themselves in the political framework of the country...America has even supported some of those knuckle draggers and ignored their bypassing of democracy to push lucrative foreign business deals through.

Popular sentiment separated from the rule of law is simply another form of dangerous tyranny and thaksin's 7% hardcore followers prove daily that the country is far from ready for elections by continuing to call for them merely to take advantage of the fact that there are major flaws in the system easily exploited by criminal elements and foreign interests.

The majority (not the 7% majority) are sick and tired of coups ergo reform is desperately needed before elections so that democracy is never bypassed again by a certain group after elections or if it is the group is held to account by strong checks and balances.

If you hate coups you too would want reform before elections.

Edited by djjamie

If Thailand is serious about ending the last 10 years+ of political chaos, they must completely purge the knuckle-dragging savages that have embedded themselves in the political framework of the country...

Popular sentiment separated from the rule of law is simply another form of dangerous tyranny and thaksin's 7% hardcore followers prove daily that the country is far from ready for elections by continuing to call for them merely to take advantage of the fact that there are major flaws in the system easily exploited by criminal elements and foreign interests.

The majority (not the 7% majority) are sick and tired of coups ergo reform is desperately needed before elections so that democracy is never bypassed again by a certain group after elections or if it is the group is held to account by strong checks and balances.

The "Knuckle dragging savages" as you so oafishly put it, are Thai citizens unlike yourself, and so have far more goddam right than you to be part of the political framework of their own country. Who the hell do you think you are?

The spokesperson said that foreign governments would have no grounds to protest the measure if it was accepted by the Thai people in a national vote.

Fair enough. If a majority of Thai people accept Prayuth's rule in a fair national vote, I'll accept him as legitimate.

Now, when exactly is that vote scheduled for?

If Thailand is serious about ending the last 10 years+ of political chaos, they must completely purge the knuckle-dragging savages that have embedded themselves in the political framework of the country...America has even supported some of those knuckle draggers and ignored their bypassing of democracy to push lucrative foreign business deals through.

So easy to shout from your roof about reforms or have the junta chief talk about reforms. But what reforms? You know something that we don't? You supporting something that are so abstract which you yourself have no clue about.

One couldn't imagine why the international community would care about such an irrelevant person and I say the word irrelevant because that's all this junta will be after when or where ever or if ever Thailand holds Democratic elections , nobody is getting up set down in Kiwi land and no one even cares up in Lyon ( France ) but they just might freeze the assets in overseas bank accounts, now who will start to play the game then. coffee1.gif

If he leave before everything is done, we'll have exactly the same again in 2-5 years.

Better stay 2-3 years longer and complete the task to ensure the guy from Montenegro won't come back again.

There will be always a guy from montenegro..

He is not staying to be sure that Thaksin cannot come back, he is staying for 2 main reasons : be sure that the wealthy stay wealthy and keep the poor and north population under its claw

The second one is taboo...

There maybe a third reason : he likes power

But he certainly not stay for his capacity to rule the country or solve the problems...

Just as an exemple : i am curious to see if the flood happen this year how he will handle the situation

Who told you the army was not at least partly responsible for the Chaos?

If he was honest and really wanted to remove corruption he should have started with the army.

7%??? You must use the "Prayout system" for the polls, right?

When the inevitable happens, and foreign investment dries up ( with its supply of brown envelopes) then they and the few they represent will.

If sanctions are applied, either because of the out of control fishing industry, or the slave trading business, or some other reason just waiting to come to light ,then they and the few they represent will.

If assets in foreign bank accounts are frozen then they and the few they represent will.

If it becomes more difficult to get the visas to send offspring to expensive schools and universities abroad then they and the few they represent will.

When face is lost because of any of the above then they and the few they represent will.

Edited by JAG