Airport taxi surcharges to be increased

fair point unless they have lots of baggage and or children which make it problematic

on $300/m salary in farangistan, I would be strongly suggesting said guy or girl shouldn't have had kids, and if they do have kids, some how they I don't think they will be travelling to Thailand on holiday or have lots of baggage :whistling:

One suspects the average refugee sneaking into Europe has more money

your do realise we are talking about a 1 off payment of 3 dollars don't you ?.....if some ones holiday budget is stretched that far then maybe they shouldn't be taking international holidays then ?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would have to ask why they are then willing to endure the long queuing time if 50 baht is not enough.

Try telling the guy or girl on 10,000 baht a month who has saved for 2 years for a holiday why he/she has to pay the driver 50% more for the privalege of just taking a taking a taxi

My understanding is that they are designed to compensate the long queuing time tha6t the driver has to endure before picking up the fare. The theory is that if he were in the city he would be productive during that time.

Seems fair to me.

Very fair its only a couple of dollars

I would be telling the guy or girl in the situation you describe to get the bus then thumbsup.gif

they don't have to use a taxi from the airport, there are busses, and an express train into town

Train, yes. Express train, no. Suspended months ago. Just the City Line, now. And unlike the express train used to, no real provision on the City Line for baggage... Oh, that's right, taxi drivers think they're entitled to baggage fees as well...

Until taxi drivers are complying with existing rules (must use meters, cannot refuse riders, etc.), there shouldn't even be any DISCUSSION of higher fares!

I know I am talking about approx $3 US, however, having to pay $1,$2 or $3 for practically nothing is in my opinion not right whether you use airport taxis once in your lifetime or once a week, its about a principle.

Whilst taxis are plentiful, the drivers get subsidised fuel, and there is effectively no control over the drivers determined to rip people off, and they have just had a fare increase and another due soon, it seems a little over the top to increase the surcharge by 50%+ don't you think?

fair point unless they have lots of baggage and or children which make it problematic

on $300/m salary in farangistan, I would be strongly suggesting said guy or girl shouldn't have had kids, and if they do have kids, some how they I don't think they will be travelling to Thailand on holiday or have lots of baggage whistling.gif

your do realise we are talking about a 1 off payment of 3 dollars don't you ?.....if some ones holiday budget is stretched that far then maybe they shouldn't be taking international holidays then ?

Let's be honest, taxis are still very cheap comparatively to all western capitals, there is no comparison. Nobody should complain. Taxi drivers make average of 300 baht a day. It has no sense to complain about taxi pricing.

300 Baht a day?

If I take a taxi to the airport I pay 400-450 Baht for 1 hour, gas cost very little. 450x12=5400 Baht-25% time without customer inside=4050. Rent a taxi will be something like 500 Baht per day. Gas 500 Baht=3000 Baht in the pocket without paying tax. A taxi driver was whining a few weeks ago in a news article that he makes "only" 3000 Baht per day which fits nicely with my theoretic calculation.

3000x30=90.000 Baht. While others work the same hours and get 9000-12000 Baht.

I would rather pay the staff of 7/11, BigC or these who work in the garment industry more. But Taxi driver are politically connected and somehow important.

What's the best way to get from the airport to a hotel in Khao San Rd, Bangkok? Any tips on what to be careful of or avoid when getting transport out of the airport. It will be in the afternoon. What is the average price for a taxi trip like this ? Thanks

Take the airport link to Phaya Thai (Last station) walk to BTS and exit on the opposite side of the road from where you came ie cross the road in BTS station. Flag down a taxi (don't get in a parked one) and it will cost about 60 baht on the meter. OR just take a taxi direct (400 - 700 Baht fixed price) or about 250 (Including tolls) IF....big IF...the meter gets turned on

I know I am talking about approx $3 US, however, having to pay $1,$2 or $3 for practically nothing is in my opinion not right whether you use airport taxis once in your lifetime or once a week, its about a principle.

Whilst taxis are plentiful, the drivers get subsidised fuel, and there is effectively no control over the drivers determined to rip people off, and they have just had a fare increase and another due soon, it seems a little over the top to increase the surcharge by 50%+ don't you think?

on $300/m salary in farangistan, I would be strongly suggesting said guy or girl shouldn't have had kids, and if they do have kids, some how they I don't think they will be travelling to Thailand on holiday or have lots of baggage whistling.gif

ok so its about principles, what have you done about this issue in your own country then ? pentioned the government about over priced surcharges, protested ?,

as make no mistake this practice is common in just about every country/airport in the world, Thailand is not unique with this practice..the fact some posters don't know this actually shows how little these people have travelled

Edited by Soutpeel

Just a small increase not too much 25 bt for normal and 45 bt extra for the bigger ones. I am sure the taxi drivers wanted more. This is acceptable for sure for tourists. Now they must only make sure that they always open their meter and get suspended right away when a tourist is ripped off by them.

But I do not get why there should be one to start with.

Taxi's do not make enough, they are not forced or required to go looking for customers at the airport .

I do not think I have seen other places where taxi had a surcharge of any kind because it was airport

Australia's major airports do