Thai Commerce Min to launch 136 low-cost stores nationwide

webfact

Commerce Min. to unveil low-cost stores this June 19

BANGKOK, 10 June 2015, (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce with the cooperation of 136 local mom-and-pop stores nationwide is organizing a low-cost store campaign, which is to kick off on June 19.

According to Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalya, the campaign is part of his ministry’s continuing effort to help lower the cost of living for the public, by cooperating with local stores in providing affordable items for everyday use to residents.

Much like the blue flag campaign, a wide range of products will be available at discounted price, said the Commerce Minister.

The campaign will feature over 30 types of basic, essential goods, including drinking water, bagged rice, cooking oil, soap, shampoo, and toothpaste, etc., said Gen. Chatchai, adding the campaign costs the government next to nothing in terms of budget.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-10 footer_n.gif

That's a first - a government initiative that costs "next to nothing". coffee1.gif

It's a lot easier to see how retailing basic consumables, even at discount prices, could be cost neutral, compared to paying way over the top for rice and forcing up the market price.

Aldi seems to manage it, and make a profit. Big food retailers might not be too happy about losing the core of their businesses though.

Commerce launches 136 low cost stalls nationwide June 19

6-10-2015-12-21-12-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Commerce Ministry will next Friday open 136 low cost stalls across the country to sell necessary goods to the people at low prices.

Commerce Minister Gen Chatchai Sarikalya said the scheme is a pilot project and is part of the ministry’s effort to help low income earners meet the high cost of living and also is an option for shopping.

Initially these low cost stalls will be located at a space inside major shopping centres in each province and at grocery shops in residential communities, he said.

He said the ministry has already reached agreement with private shopping centres to arrange spaces to locate low cost stalls.

They included Jaem Fah shopping centre in Lamphun, Kiatsin Hotel in Khon Kaen, and Srisamai Wholesaler in Yala.

These stalls will sell affordable items for everyday use to residents.

Much like the blue flag campaign, he said a wide range of products will be available at discounted price.

Over 30 items of basic, essential goods, including drinking water, bagged rice, cooking oil, soap, shampoo, and toothpaste, etc., he said.

Gen Chatchai added that the low cost cost stall scheme did not have cost on the government next in terms of budget.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/commerce-launches-136-low-cost-stalls-nationwide-june-19

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-10

How much will farangs be charged, to enter these stores ? whistling.gif

I fear this initiative will go the way of the 10B food-stalls ...

Why would they want to? Isn't the purpose of this project to provide low cost products to poor Thais?

Once more the government meddling in the marketplace. What about the stores that don't get the cheaper goods. I can't believe the government keeps doing this.

How does the government get cheaper goods to pass on. What happens to the wholesalers of these goods.

This will eventually be another total, I don't want to be rude.

They better make a law against the cartels in Thailand. Having a free market will make most prices go down.

When i compare proces of food, electronics, cars etc. they are much cheaper in p.a Holland where the averege income is much higher than in Thailand.

Aldo i think this will not happen in the near future because the 3% very rich role the country.

There will be no light at the end of the tunnel for farangs. Imported foods suffer 250% taxesThggai government such as wine, imported foods etc. this is not

designed to make it cheaper for farangs.

this sounds like a very good idea as many thai people are on low wages and many farangs are on small pensions this would certainly go down very well I am sure.

And good for cheap Charley's like me , but...

If I (and all the poor thais without transport ) have to drive 100 km or more just to get to one of those cheap stores , what's the use?

this sounds like a very good idea as many thai people are on low wages and many farangs are on small pensions this would certainly go down very well I am sure.

And good for cheap Charley's like me , but...

If I (and all the poor thais without transport ) have to drive 100 km or more just to get to one of those cheap stores , what's the use?

They will be located out in the boonies not in a central location.

Commerce launches 136 low cost stalls nationwide June 19

They included Jaem Fah shopping centre in Lamphun,

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-06-10

Woo hoo! Jaem Fah got a mention in national news! This is the shop front for those of you that don't know it:

post-78027-0-96856400-1433956113_thumb.p

The door with the welcome sign. No idea where inside they will find the space for this though. Will go looking for it.