National Police Chief orders Pattaya Facebook Page to Shut Down

webfact

Checkpoints do not improve road safety in Thailand at all, so what the point of them.

( just a paperwork exercise for collecting money) ?

The police should use there time in better ways, like get the guys who run the red lights all the time.

Dangerous drivers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such information would be interpreted as an obstruction of the law in the U.K.

Would those complaining about the removal be so happy if a video of someone assaulting you or stealing your property or you being injured or maimed due to road racing antics was forbidden as evidence be so ardent in your campaign?

Would you be happy if such a video camera did not exist in the first place?

I believe in deterring crime, not using it as a tool to make money.

Having cameras and speed checks deters crime, only if one knows about them.

It was the same in a MIddle Eastern country where I once worked. Everyone knew the location of the speed traps and just went under the limit for a 1km, then when outside of th area would drive at 180km/hr until the next one; speeed limit was 120km/hr.

You hav to move the traap areas and lt no one know where they are. If you keep the same it becomes common knowledge and is a waste of time

Just move the page administration to someone outside of Thailand, see them close it then...

they will just block facebook, like they did with that UK news website.

555 I'm going take that as a joke, blocking the dailymail and blocking Facebook are two different things.

they found a clause within the Computer Crimes Act of 2007 which meant they could threaten the owner of the page with criminal action should the page not be removed.

still i dont understand the reason to close the page...do you?blink.png ....Computer Crimes Act of 2007...what the hell is that Computer Crimes Act of 2007facepalm.gif

The law predates the Junta

There is a law against disclosing a police checkpoint that is out in public view? Can you provide the citation for that law?

I think the violation comes under the law of "Whatever Suits the Police."

There is no law, it is an act that is in place, An act is not law only a contract between 2 party's, Act's and statues are nothing more than a contract, if one does not agree then there is no contract.

how can the junta know who is the owner of the facebook page, except facebook give it to them ?

than mark zuckerberg "social" site will not be so social anymore ?

facebook : good for divorces, murders by jealous boyfriends/husbands, cyber bullying, stalking, losing your job as you are to dumb to think nobody might find your post, jail time, 15 years in prison in this country or multiply of that

While in Australia you have full and legal disclosure, on-line, as to the where about of all the speed

cameras...

Yes indeed and should not be a problem surely. As a UK policeman I knew once told me these checkpoints, as well as radar speed check cameras, are primarily there not to extract money out of motorists but to safely slow them down as a deterrent to speeding. That is of course clearly the intelligent and sensible reasoning for it. As such then of course it helps the police achieve that deterrent objective if folk disclose to others their approximate or actual whereabouts. It is also exactly why there are speed camera warning signs up in most countries and indeed here too in Thailand as it is an effective speeding deterrrent.

I am not saying I agree with all motorway speed limits however as I do not because it causes in itself processions of close up nose to tail high speed traffic, and the multiple pile ups that result form what would otherwise be a small road traffic incident. I fully agree with the sensible and proven to be safer German main autobahn system of no speed limits except maybe around junctions where traffic joins and melds with the main motorway traffic.

Just move the page administration to someone outside of Thailand, see them close it then...

they will just block facebook, like they did with that UK news website.

Now, if Facebook ever got blocked in Thailand, that WOULD cause a national uprising!

Add Youtube, and you'd get a double digit rise in productivity and a nice boost in GDP...

And not just in Thailand.

The Police began scouring the Law Books to see if they could lawfully force the page to close and they found a clause...!!!!!!!!!!

clap2.gif

Under section 14, sub-section 3 of the Act, it states that “If any person commits any offence that involves import to a computer system of any computer data related with an offence against the Kingdom’s security

How does tipping off drivers about checkpoints "against the Kingdom's security"?

I think the pissed off Boys in Brown are drawing a bit of a long bow there. Let's face it. It's an "offense against the BiB's Tea Money"

What's next? If you mention to a mate in a bar that you just saw a checkpoint up the road (where the mate was about to head for) ... you'll be arrested for Treason?

blink.png

Edited by Fullstop

While in Australia you have full and legal disclosure, on-line, as to the where about of all the speed

cameras...

That is the same in the UK, but speed camera's are not check points, these are for security and crime based check points

Well in Vancouver, Canada the police actually go on the radio and announce where the radar/seatbelt checkpoints are going to be.

You can also see in Los Angeles where DUI stops are located both on the police site and various DUI lawyer sites.

dont see whats wrong with the check points being known, it means people will drive more carefully in those places, the police just need to set up check points else where and keep moving them, which they should be doing anyway, but obviously are too lazy. this is about the police losing face, not public safety, as usual

Other argument would be that if you know where the checkpoints are you can drive like a maniac in between the checkpoints.

exactly why they need to keep moving them. do they seriously think the locals dont know where they are anyway?

Only a driver with something to fear should be concerned about check points and speed cameras.

But then of course there is the traffic delay to be concerned about (for those who have nothing to fear).

Then you dont know anything about Thailand.

Most checkpoints will stop most motorcycles and most farangs they can spot and find waterver excuse to take your money and waste your time.

Not true everywhere. Pulled in this morning, did not come to a full stop before they noticed I was a farang and told me to go. Waved through another an hour later.

Riding behind my Thai fiancée on the pillion, I was nicely told by a policeman directing traffic at an intersection to put on my helmut. He had a legitimate excuse to "take my money" but didn't.

On the Pattaya to BKK motorway on the Bus you will often be cruising along in the second or third lane only to see a truck or a bus on the other carriageway flashing it's lights. Cue a rapid speed change and a tuck into the first lane and a Police car or bike appearing on the hard shoulder.

Only a driver with something to fear should be concerned about check points and speed cameras.

But then of course there is the traffic delay to be concerned about (for those who have nothing to fear).

Then you dont know anything about Thailand.

Most checkpoints will stop most motorcycles and most farangs they can spot and find waterver excuse to take your money and waste your time.

Not true everywhere. Pulled in this morning, did not come to a full stop before they noticed I was a farang and told me to go. Waved through another an hour later.

Riding behind my Thai fiancée on the pillion, I was nicely told by a policeman directing traffic at an intersection to put on my helmut. He had a legitimate excuse to "take my money" but didn't.

Why would you want to put on a German ?

Well in Vancouver, Canada the police actually go on the radio and announce where the radar/seatbelt checkpoints are going to be.

yeah, except the pattaya checkpoints are not about helmets, seatbelt or speed checks - they are about finding drugs, weapons and possibly stolen goods as well as wanted criminals.

yes, that's funny, it's not the first time I read "helmut" instead of "helmet" on this forum, I've always wondered why this mistake is so widespread. and indeed, I must always thing about a former colleague when I read Helmut, LOL.

yes, that's funny, it's not the first time I read "helmut" instead of "helmet" on this forum, I've always wondered why this mistake is so widespread. and indeed, I must always thing about a former colleague when I read Helmut, LOL.

Okay, so big deal, I spelled the word "helmet" wrong. Compared to some of the spelling errors and illiteracy that I see on TVF, this mistake is pretty insignificant. And BTW, you might want to check your own spelling. I guess you meant "think", not "thing" in your less-than-perfect punctuated sentence.

cameras...

.. which is counter productive.

I am in favour of controlling speeds everywhere, and always have been.

I happen to still be recovering from being knocked over, thrown over a barrier, landing on another road bellow, by a car that had lost control and left the road, slamming into me. This happened in September 2013.

If you get booked for speeding, anywhere, .. then wear it. I hope it hurts. More to the point I hope you realise how stupid and selfish you are.

post-101696-0-00678100-1434112862_thumb.

cameras...

.. which is counter productive.

I am in favour of controlling speeds everywhere, and always have been.

I happen to still be recovering from being knocked over, thrown over a barrier, landing on another road bellow, by a car that had lost control and left the road, slamming into me. This happened in September 2013.

If you get booked for speeding, anywhere, .. then wear it. I hope it hurts. More to the point I hope you realise how stupid and selfish you are.

Well and graphically stated. Just leave a few minutes earlier and there will be no need to speed.

Best of luck to you on a full recovery.

Okay, so big deal, I spelled the word "helmet" wrong. Compared to some of the spelling errors and illiteracy that I see on TVF, this mistake is pretty insignificant. And BTW, you might want to check your own spelling. I guess you meant "think", not "thing" in your less-than-perfect punctuated sentence.

The Helmut one is a bit of a joke on the forum.

But ok sorry if offended you.

Think the Police man that pulled you, about the Helmut

was not on Helmut duty that day. wai2.gif

LOL, it's not about spelling or typos, it's about the "helmut" thing as another poster pointed out :-)