What is the easiest way to get my Marriage certificate translated and certified

kiouma

In order to get my marriage here in Thailand registered in Denmark, I need according to the Danish Embassy, to get my marriage certificate translated and the translation certified by the Foreign Ministry here i Thailand. Afterwards the embassy also has to certify the translation.

I live in the northern part of Thailand and really don't want to travel to Bangkok to do all this unless it's absolutely necessary.

Any suggestions regarding the easiest way to do that.

Thanks in advance.

Kim

If you are near Chiang Mai you could get the translation done there. The MFA has an office in there that does the certifications.

You could also make arrangements with a translation service in Bangkok to do the translation and handle the certification. Just arrange to pay for it and send them the marriage certificate by EMS, Perhaps contact this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/translations .

You probably still would have to make the trip to your embassy though.

This is an English translation? Is there any real reason you need to register the marriage in Denmark? Marriage is fully legal without any need to register in our home country in most cases.

The reason for do it, is a matter of tax on my pension, other than that no reason at all !

f you are near Chiang Mai you could get the translation done there. The MFA has an office in there that does the certifications.

You could also make arrangements with a translation service in Bangkok to do the translation and handle the certification. Just arrange to pay for it and send them the marriage certificate by EMS, Perhaps contact this one: http://www.thaivisa.com/translations .

You probably still would have to make the trip to your embassy though.

Very useful and thx for your reply !

But suspect that is specific to your country then - US has never required more than translation/MFA registration for any issue - that includes tax/pension survivor/insurance/bank accounts/INS approval for immigrant status (when considering it). Believe for many, if not most, there is no home country registration required - just the copy and the MFA translation making it a legal document anywhere. I know from UK posters they have a process (at high cost) to do but everyone says not requirement for anything that have needed.

OS Visa on Nimman soi 9 (opposite now demolished Monkey Club) will look after everything for you very efficiently. At least, they did for me last year. I forget the cost, but not that much, I think.

My gf translates all documents herself and the girls in the government office in Chiang Mai check it, advise if any corrections are required (no charge for this) then they certify the documents. This is only an option if your wife is very good with English and of course if she is prepared to do it.

But suspect that is specific to your country then - US has never required more than translation/MFA registration for any issue - that includes tax/pension survivor/insurance/bank accounts/INS approval for immigrant status (when considering it). Believe for many, if not most, there is no home country registration required - just the copy and the MFA translation making it a legal document anywhere. I know from UK posters they have a process (at high cost) to do but everyone says not requirement for anything that have needed.

For the U.S., if you and your wife plan to travel back and forth, and perhaps stay for a few months at a time, it is a good idea to take the certified copy and register it with the Secretary of State's office in state of residence. It also facilitates any issues with Green Card, and survivors benefits.

For the U.S., if you and your wife plan to travel back and forth, and perhaps stay for a few months at a time, it is a good idea to take the certified copy and register it with the Secretary of State's office in state of residence. It also facilitates any issues with Green Card, and survivors benefits.

Could you please post a link to any states website that give a procedure to do that.

As far as I know that is not possible in any state.

Could you please post a link to any states website that give a procedure to do that.

As far as I know that is not possible in any state.

I got the information from the U.S. Embassy piece on foreign marriages. It is at the bottom of the page about registration. Go the SOS's web site for the state in question and do a search for registering foreign marriage. It is the same procedure for marrying a Thai or another American. It seemed to be true that just registering a Thai marriage could not be recorded in California and it has to do with the translation and certification of the documents spelled out in in the Embassy piece. Presumably this could be recorded without any hassle. In California, worst case is filling a petition with the Superior Court in the county of residence to make it all Kosher. Marriage is a State and local thing so laws governing it will depend on the state.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/CourtOrderDelayedMarriagePAMPHLET-(01-15)-MERGED.pdf

Good luck

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

I see no mention of it being marriage done in a foreign country in the California PDF file.

The one on the embassy website is just a general statement.

I checked the Texas secretary of staet website and found no mention of marriage registration on it. In Texas and many other states marriage registrations are only done at the country level.

Anyway there is no need to register the marriage in the states for any reason. A certified translation is all that is needed.