Sihanoukville Police Set Sights on Tuk-Tuk “Mafia”

geovalin

News by Khmer Times/Jack Laurenson

SIHANOUKVILLE (Khmer Times) – Municipal officials and the police have started identifying and registering the city’s previously unregulated tuk-tuk and moto drivers, following a constant flow of complaints about them from tourists and business owners, officials say.

They said the plan will see drivers registered, given photo identification and even uniforms, but tuk-tuk and moto drivers interviewed by Khmer Times said this was all news to them.

With more than a million tourists drawn to Sihanoukville’s warm waters and sandy beaches every year, business owners and residents are calling for controls and regulations on the city’s public transport drivers who have a reputation for fleecing tourists...

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/12285/sihanoukville-police-set-sights-on-tuk-tuk----mafia---/

Sihounukville is a BIB dream. I got stopped once there when driving a motorcycle during the day when the headlight was on. The headlight is automatically illuminated when the ignition key is turned to on and none of the other moto drivers were being stopped for the "offense". I tried to explain this to the cop but he said he didn't understand. I forget what he wanted for a bribe but I had a flash roll with only a few dollars of reil so I told him I would go to the ATM and get what he wanted. Yeah, I made sure I came back to give him the rest of the bribe- NOT.

At least PoPo is not greedy, I always donated a dollar when I was stopped on my scooter while

I was there for a week. Local ex-pats advised I just drive around/ ignore there request to stop.

Me, I just could not, kind of like a ringing phone, it is hard not to answer it in a reflex motion.

I find it hard not to stop when PoPo is waving you to the side of the road. facepalm.gif