Entering Thailand with less than 6 months validity on visa but resident in Thailand on Non-O visa

I've just today heard that someone cannot enter Thailand if they do not have 6 months remaining validity on their passport.

My wife, a Filipino citizen, and I live in Samui on Non-O visas with multiple re-entry visas. Her Non-O expires in December and she is planning to add another 1 year extension but maybe there is a problem. We are presently on holidays in Europe for the summer. We booked round trip flights from Samui to Hong Kong, where my wife is a permanent resident, for 4 days back home to Samui on 22nd of August. Her passport expires on 22nd February 2016. Its total coincidence that our date of return would seem to be the exact date that is 6 months left on her passport. It wasn't planned or even thought about until today, midway through our trip, when I saw another similar post here on TV. She was planning to fly up to Bangkok to her embassy and get her new passport there in September/October. She shouldn't have to go to another country other than the one in which she lives to renew her visa, should she?

Now that I've seen this rule about not allowing entry if less than 6 months validity, I'm beginning to think that she might not be allowed back home.

Does this rule even apply if some one isn't a tourist on a tourist visa or looking for a visa exempt stamp but a returning resident on a current Non-O visa with multiple re-entry permit? If the rule does apply, is the traveling on the exact day that would mark 6 months an issue, or should we look to reschedule our flight from HK to Samui for 21st of August, just to have one day of cushion? And is it even 6 months, or do they count days, as in 182 or 183 days or similar?

Thanks. I've see that website also but what is the intended stay? I think we'll stay in Thailand at least a few more years, but I suppose that's not the correct answer. Is it until the end of her current Non-O visa validity? So in this case, until 22 or 23 December, while the passport expires on 22 February?

Yep. December.

Do you think Bangkok airways agents are aware of this and won't give a problem?

Bangkok Airways is a member of the IATA and will certainly have access to the same info that I posted earlier.

Perhaps go the webpage I posted a link to earlier, enter the required info then print it out.

It is highly likely she won't be able to board flight any flight internationally with the six month date so close.

I have seen at bangkok airport a gentleman turned away who had just over six months left on his passport because he had a visa which could be active during the less than six month period.

I'd suggest your wife start now contacting her embassy whatever you are and get a new passport.

I am unsure how or ofnypu need tkx transfer the visa she obtained onto the new passport. You may posoboy be allowed to enter and then transfer it over but someone here may have experience with moving the visa to. a new passport. I would imagine its a similar process to losing a passport and getting your visa placed in new passport.

It is highly likely she won't be able to board flight any flight internationally with the six month date so close.

I have seen at bangkok airport a gentleman turned away who had just over six months left on his passport because he had a visa which could be active during the less than six month period.

I'd suggest your wife start now contacting her embassy whatever you are and get a new passport.

I am unsure how or ofnypu need tkx transfer the visa she obtained onto the new passport. You may posoboy be allowed to enter and then transfer it over but someone here may have experience with moving the visa to. a new passport. I would imagine its a similar process to losing a passport and getting your visa placed in new passport.

Passport validity for Thailand depends upon a persons nationality. Most that can enter on visa exempt entries are allowed entry with less than 6 months as stated in the info posted earlier.

Many countries require 6 months for all nationalities other than those from that country. Others like Thailand allow less for certain nationalities.

You should check the info available from the link I posted earlier,

Had the same in the uk, not being able to travel long haul even if passport is valid for the entire trip think its a bloody liberty, so basically everybody has lost 5 % of the length of the passport x.that by ?? No' s of passport holders and cost and u are talking a shed load of money. Bloody daylight robbery

rijit

Never underestimate an airline agent.

I was checking into an airline from Abu Dhabi to fly to Bangkok. Presented my new passport, to which the agent said I could not fly because the passport was less than 6 months old.

After I let out a bit of a laugh, i realized he was serious, I had to call for his boss to explain the rules to him.

Do not listen to airlines there full of shit and some like to play immigration officers as well. I have a 12 month multi ED and on way back to Thai from Australia. The airline boy told me i require a return ticket funny... I live in Thai on a VISA... Ignore and was welcomed back at Thai airport with a 90 day stamp.

In regards to your passport it is under 6 months expirey risky but I think they not really look anyway. Although you need get a new VISA app outside THAI. Say in HONG KONG

Cheers Tom

I was checking into an airline from Abu Dhabi to fly to Bangkok. Presented my new passport, to which the agent said I could not fly because the passport was less than 6 months old.

After I let out a bit of a laugh, i realized he was serious, I had to call for his boss to explain the rules to him.

Scuze my ignorance, but what exactly are the rules ?

rijit

Scuze my ignorance, but what exactly are the rules ?

rijit

A newly issued passport should be valid the moment it is given to you.

In my case, the agent took the "6 months validity" as being from the front or back. Of course if the government wanted you to wait to use it, they'd just keep it before handing it over.

I'm just glad I didn't loose my cool at the counter and get ejected for other reasons.

Do not listen to airlines there full of shit and some like to play immigration officers as well. I have a 12 month multi ED and on way back to Thai from Australia. The airline boy told me i require a return ticket funny... I live in Thai on a VISA... Ignore and was welcomed back at Thai airport with a 90 day stamp.

In regards to your passport it is under 6 months expirey risky but I think they not really look anyway. Although you need get a new VISA app outside THAI. Say in HONG KONG

Cheers Tom

They ste playing immigration officer because they ste required to do so. Don't meet the requirements and they have every right to deny you entry.

Had the same in the uk, not being able to travel long haul even if passport is valid for the entire trip think its a bloody liberty, so basically everybody has lost 5 % of the length of the passport x.that by ?? No' s of passport holders and cost and u are talking a shed load of money. Bloody daylight robbery

rijit

If you have a UK passport you loose nothing if you renew up to 9 months early, it gets added, so where is the "daylight robbery"?

The best answer is, contact the airline that you will be flying. They are the ones who may let you fly or refuse you boarding. They are the ones who decide to let you fly. Immigration will let you in, if you get to Thailand.

Some airlines are more strict than others.

rijit

You don't lose anytime as you're credited up to 9 months if you renew the passport early...

E.g. I renewed my passport last Year after only having it for a couple of years (Was full of visas as I was doing a lot of traveling with work), the issue date of my new passport is October 2014 & the expiry date is July 2025... So it's valid for 10 years & 9 months (though I'm 12 pages in already so am expecting it to last closer to 4 years :().

E.g. I renewed my passport last Year after only having it for a couple of years (Was full of visas as I was doing a lot of traveling with work), the issue date of my new passport is October 2014 & the expiry date is July 2025... So it's valid for 10 years & 9 months (though I'm 12 pages in already so am expecting it to last closer to 4 years sad.png).

Good that UK does that. But other countries do not, so in fact getting a new passport early makes one loose validity.