renewing registration for a scooter (owner is overseas)

konisaan

I've been using my friends bike while he is away. I have never registered or renewed a vehicle in Thailand.

Will I encounter any problems if I take the bike to the registry and it's not in my name? I have the green book which I'm assuming is all I will need plus a certain amount of Baht.

Also, registration is about 1 week overdue. I'm assuming this wont be an issue..

If there is anything else I might need to know, please chime in.

Do you mean road tax, 1 week is not a problem where I live no charge, if 5 years or older it has to be inspected, a mini mot.

Maybe that's what they call it where you are from. It's the registration of a vehicle which has to be renewed each year, perhaps along with some kind of compulsory insurance.

No a vehicle is registered when it is first sold and is registered and given a number plate, after that you are paying the road tax.

Just did mine yesterday (in CM). One baht extra "fine" for being three days late, so 101 baht. But you need to pay for the compulsory insurance first - mine was something over 600 baht for a 250cc. Nobody looked at/checked the owners' name. Only 3-4 years old so no 'MOT' inspection necessary yet. Think it's after 7 years for cars - same for bikes?

No issues doing someones elses bike. They don't need any ID, they just want the tax money. You just need the green book, proof of insurance, and some money.

You will probably need to get new insurance. It's cheap, maybe 300 baht or so, for the required insurance.

On Saturdays they set up a table at the Big C on Sukhumvit. I did it there a few months ago. It was quick and easy. You can buy insurance at a couple of shops just across the street (north side). When I went they had two folding tables with a couple of computers set up between the checkout registers and the package drop counter.

Edit: I'm assuming this is in Pattaya. The info about Big C on Saturdays is specific to Pattaya.

Edited by Smokin Joe

No issues doing someones elses bike. They don't need any ID, they just want the tax money. You just need the green book, proof of insurance, and some money.

You will probably need to get new insurance. It's cheap, maybe 300 baht or so, for the required insurance.

On Saturdays they set up a table at the Big C on Sukhumvit. I did it there a few months ago. It was quick and easy. You can buy insurance at a couple of shops just across the street (north side). When I went they had two folding tables with a couple of computers set up between the checkout registers and the package drop counter.

Edit: I'm assuming this is in Pattaya. The info about Big C on Saturdays is specific to Pattaya. If the Bike is 5 years old or more you also would need an official inspection (5 for bikes, 7 for cars)

Just did mine yesterday (in CM). One baht extra "fine" for being three days late, so 101 baht. But you need to pay for the compulsory insurance first - mine was something over 600 baht for a 250cc. Nobody looked at/checked the owners' name. Only 3-4 years old so no 'MOT' inspection necessary yet. Think it's after 7 years for cars - same for bikes?

5 years for bikes

Did the insurance in the insurance office (sorry, sounds snide but not meant that way) - if you have a previous policy, look where that was issued, or just go into almost any insurance company office, I think. I'm in CM and could give directions to the place I went if that helps.