Climate change - now is the time for Thailand to act

webfact

WHAT OTHERS SAY
Climate change - now is the time for Thailand to act

EU HEADS OF MISSION IN THAILAND
SPECIAL TO THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Last week the G-7 states met in Elmau, Germany, to discuss the most pressing issues of our time, one of which was - of course - climate change.

The G-7 acknowledge clearly that the world will need a binding core agreement on climate change and that all countries will have to be put in a position to choose a sustainable development path that keeps the average temperature below a 2 degree rise.

Climate change is an urgent challenge. We need to reduce global greenhouse gas emissions by between 40 and 70 per cent by 2050 and to near zero by 2100 to have a reasonable chance of staying in the 2 degree safe zone. That's a huge task, which we need to start now. No country is immune to the damaging impacts, direct and indirect, of climate change.

The member states of the European Union are aware that we need drastic changes to worldwide CO2 emissions. This is not a problem that the developed world alone can fix. But the foundation for reaching the global goals is our own commitment. We have accepted that developed countries should take the lead. That is why we have taken determined action and reduced EU emissions by around 19 per cent from 1990 levels while GDP has grown by more than 44 per cent over the same period. We have committed to at least a 40-per-cent reduction by 2030 in the context of the international climate change negotiations. But most of the future growth in global emissions will come from the developing, not the developed, world.

That is why the G7 also discussed the question of financing to combat climate change. This also we cannot do alone, but we agreed to set aside US$100 billion annually from 2020 onwards to reach the climate change targets. We know that for many developing and small-island states this is a crucial point.

Action to tackle climate change is compatible with lasting economic growth. Several countries that are spearheading the development with ambitious environmental targets have proven this already over recent years and decades. This is also the central message of the "New Climate Economy" (www.NewClimateEconomy.report), which makes 10 clear recommendations to global policy-makers, including stopping deforestation, accelerating the shift away from coal-fired power generation, introducing strong, predicable carbon prices, eliminating fossil fuel subsidies, and entering into a strong, lasting and equitable international climate agreement.

The "New Climate Economy" is the flagship project of the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate. "The New Climate Economy: Better Growth, Better Climate" was officially launched in Thailand by the National Economic and Social Development Board together with representatives from the seven commissioning countries.

The World Bank's new report on "Decarbonising Development: Three Steps to a Zero Carbon Future" also lays out three steps for a smooth transition to a zero-carbon future and provides data, examples and policy advice to help countries makes the shift. They mention many steps governments can take now - such as developing public transport and improving energy efficiency - to bring immediate benefits in improved access for residents and reduced pollution. The economic transformation required to shift economies to zero net emissions before the end of the century will require public buy-in and changes in support for those most affected. The report indicates that business support for a climate deal (as shown at last month's Business and Climate Summit in Paris) is crucial. It is clear that investors are increasingly looking for "green" opportunities, including in Southeast Asia, and they seek long-term policy certainty - hence the importance of a global deal and a common platform for national action.

2015 is a crucial year for global efforts to avoid catastrophic climate change. We are only six months away from the 21st United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris, where parties have committed themselves to reaching a new, global climate agreement to take effect in 2020.

We congratulate Thailand for showing leadership by announcing at last year's 20th edition of the conference that Thailand intended to reduce its emission intensity by 7 per cent from 2005 levels through domestic actions, and up to 20 per cent with international assistance. This makes Thailand the 4th country in Southeast Asia to make a voluntary pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

We now look forward to Thailand demonstrating a strong commitment on climate change by announcing an ambitious Intended Nationally Determined Contribution as soon as possible before the Paris Conference. We also hope that Thailand will do all it can to advocate for ambitious climate action across the region, ahead of Paris and beyond. The EU and many of its member states are pleased to be working with Thailand on climate change. We look forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Signed by the European Union Heads of Mission in Thailand, on the occasion of EU Climate Diplomacy Day, which falls today.

Corruption versus Democracy: New paradox looms

Signs that a coup-maker might stay in charge of Thailand longer than he initially said have befuddled both Democracy and Corruption. The latter has signalled rare uncertainty, although he refuses to give up efforts to bring Democracy to the dark side. The verbal war over whether Democracy should join Corruption for good so they both can live happily ever after has been clouded by the latest Thai developments.

The arch-rivals, who have waged an internecine battle over Thailand, are also growing somewhat sympathetic toward each other.

Corruption: Now, they are talking about suspending you even longer. If you had signed a pact with me, this would never have happened.

Democracy: Stop asking me to cross over to your side, because that's the least of our concerns at the moment. My biggest worry now is the Thai idea of calling a vote on whether an election should be delayed or, in effect, whether Prayut should stay on. That poll would confuse the hell out of everyone, and I pray to God it will never happen.

Corruption: Why?

Democracy: Voting is democracy's top principle, isn't it? You can't call a vote to effect something deemed undemocratic.

Corruption: I get it. You're asking what's next if a majority says no to "democracy". What if a majority of Thais balk at an election? Is that what you are talking about?

Democracy: Yes.

Corruption: I know what you mean. But why worry about it now? The last election yielded something similarly paradoxical.

Democracy: If you are talking about the low turnout of the February, 2014 election, of course, it might indicate that the majority of Thais didn't want that poll. But we had some ballot stations blocked, and many eligible voters didn't show up probably because they were disillusioned or merely lazy.

Corruption: If a referendum on extended military rule took place today, all the polling stations would be open and most voters would be itching to mark the ballots. Is that what you mean?

Democracy: Yes. If they vote "Election now", we will be spared the great paradox. If not, God help us.

Corruption: One excuse would be that the referendum is taking place under military rule, so a pro-military result should be taken with a grain of salt.

Democracy: A lot of people would certainly say that. But I'm still feeling uncomfortable. If the result is fixed, I'm off the hook. But I'm talking about a real, genuine "No election" outcome here, one that, no matter how hard people try to spin it, will rock my foundations. If that happens, I won't know what to do. If a majority genuinely wants to postpone an election, what do we call that?

Corruption: Easy. We say the Thai people don't want an immediate election.

Democracy: But elections are the core of democracy, aren't they?

Corruption: Look who's asking me that question. Have you never listened to anything I've said? You are an ideal. You are not real. People bend the rules or change them outright for you all the time. Some will say a "No" to elections is undemocratic. Some will say voters are being forced. Some will say voters are being brainwashed. My point is, what's the point? None of that can change the fact that you are what people make you out to be. You can only be realer if you join me. As long as you don't, you will keep worrying about all this nonsense.

Democracy: So, you are the best there is, right?

Corruption: Of course. For starters, while people bend the rules for you, I bend the rules for them. Whereas people mould you, I mould them. I need no excuses. I need no denials. That's the best part of being evil. You have no idea how much you can do with low expectations.

Democracy: So you want to drag expectations about me to your level, or near it?

Corruption: To put it bluntly, yes. But that will do you a great favour. The systems operating under you come with high expectations, but they are unrealistic. A little more practicality won't hurt. In fact, the referendum thing proves my point. Democracy and Corruption are better off together and worse off apart. If Prayut is bad, in other words corrupt, look how he's utilising the concept of democracy. If Thaksin Shinawatra is good, in other words victimised, look how he has ended up with Corruption and Democracy not quite on the same song sheet.

Democracy: You are such a puppet master.

Corruption: It's funny that you say that. See, people left and right are pulling your strings - politicians, lobbyists, activists and all. And I'm pulling theirs. Look where you are in the pyramid, buddy.

Democracy: It doesn't seem like you need me after all.

Corruption: On the contrary, my friend - and no offence - every puppet master needs something to play with.

...And Earth, Heaven and Hell continue to hold their breath.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Climate-change--now-is-the-time-for-Thailand-to-ac-30262481.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-17

Climate change. Change is what the climate does. Always has done and always will. Anyone who thinks we can control it is either an idiot or a scammer.

Of course we can change it, cutting the forests and change the surface of the planet with concrete does.

But non of the "climate" change believer want to stop burning forests and plant new one.

I am all for preservation of forests and reclaiming deforested areas for I like nothing better than to be able to get 'away from it all' into a forest.

However that doesn't mean I believe the hype of man made climate change, a theory which has made billions for those who push it.

Then there are "Carbon credits" which can be traded both for profit and so that countries can buy them from those who pollute less so they can continue polluting.

The climate of this planet has always changed from hot periods to ice ages and it always will, the difference that man can make to this will be infinitesimal.

While saying that I support preventing or cutting pollution whatever the excuse used.

Although I think the BKK fella who wants to use superstition has a better chance.

CO2 is NOT driving the climate ! That's scientific fact !

That CO2 is driving the climate is the tool for Agenda 21 [uN] to make the air a commodity.

IF CO2 is so bad then Thailand should stop all tourism immediately as it is

causing lots and lots of CO2 - anybody think this will happen ?

If not then they are all liars !!! [Which they are]

I am all for preservation of forests and reclaiming deforested areas for I like nothing better than to be able to get 'away from it all' into a forest.

However that doesn't mean I believe the hype of man made climate change, a theory which has made billions for those who push it.

Then there are "Carbon credits" which can be traded both for profit and so that countries can buy them from those who pollute less so they can continue polluting.

The climate of this planet has always changed from hot periods to ice ages and it always will, the difference that man can make to this will be infinitesimal.

While saying that I support preventing or cutting pollution whatever the excuse used.

Although I think the BKK fella who wants to use superstition has a better chance.

. As we all know Rob ,those nasty Airplanes caused the Ice Age..[emoji299]️

I really don't want to get into a discussion with mouthbreeders, who simply ignore, what 98% of all scientists sees as "real" and "man made".

But asking Thailand of all countries?

They can't even get a simple recycling program for bottles, cans or plastic on the way.

Tackle global warming, my behind!

Huge amounts of money are involved in this issue, both from fossil fuel producers, "alternative" energy industries, "Save the Planet" donation collectors, and of course governments who see even more ways to regulate and impose taxes.

Almost as big are the levels of hypocrisy. Al Gore's "Do as I say, ignore what I do", Oz selling coal as fast as it can be dragged from the ground while building billion dollar solar power stations that produce almost nothing, and the Green advocates who think that Gemasolar is wonderful but 3 Gorges which produces 1000 times the energy is an abomination.

Obviously two articles joined by some error.

Both of them are very poor works of fiction.

The question whether democracy should be a higher value than the survival of mankind is a valid ethical question, imho.

Climate change. Change is what the climate does. Always has done and always will. Anyone who thinks we can control it is either an idiot or a scammer.

Too may scientists are relying on "climate change (aka global warming)" to keep them in very well paid jobs and it gives politicians an excuse to raise taxes and give subsidies to green projects owned by their relatives and/or friends.

Climate change/ Global warming has become a totally intolerant worldwide religion and if you question it you are a blasphemer and liable to be burnt at the stake. In the case of climate change/global warming, the use of selective data has been used/misused to prove a theory. The fact that the Pope recently has come out with backing for this new religion just proves what a bunch of hypocrites these people are.

Obviously two articles joined by some error.

Both of them are very poor works of fiction.

The question whether democracy should be a higher value than the survival of mankind is a valid ethical question, imho.

If you got some meaning from that assault on literature then I tip my hat. I thought it was demonstration of someone typing out their arse.

Yes, climate does change. But over thousands of years, not decades as is happening now. Even changing the views of millions of doubters such as yourself, is pointless, it's just too damn late. The temperature will rise by 7 degrees over the next 100 years or less, all the top scientists in the world agree on this, by which time it's 'game over' It will make little difference what countries like Thailand do to limit their emissions [That will never happen anyway, 7 percent???!] it's too late. A virus that wipes out 90 percent of the worlds human population is planet earths only hope in eventually returning to the garden of Eden in once was.

Yes, climate does change. But over thousands of years, not decades as is happening now. Even changing the views of millions of doubters such as yourself, is pointless, it's just too damn late. The temperature will rise by 7 degrees over the next 100 years or less, all the top scientists in the world agree on this, by which time it's 'game over' It will make little difference what countries like Thailand do to limit their emissions [That will never happen anyway, 7 percent???!] it's too late. A virus that wipes out 90 percent of the worlds human population is planet earths only hope in eventually returning to the garden of Eden in once was.

45 years ago the predictions were that a mini ice age was beginning. Now I know that when parts of the UK reach 300 people start dropping dead in the streets, but I see quite a few pommies here on Samui managing 34, and they haven't even got their hankies on their head (yet). So somehow I think your 90% death toll might be a bit of a wank.

We are the dominant species because we are the most adaptable.

Wow! I would love to see some of your evidence for those claims. All the scientists? 7 degrees? You must have drank all the Kool-Aid by yourself..

And your point about things changing in decades now instead of millennia. You do know that for the last 2 decades nothing has changed at all. And for the last 100 it is less than a degree. How are these facts lining in up with you 7 degrees in the next hundred year scenario? Not well at all.

While the Thai government pledges to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, it plans to build nine coal-fired power plants in the next five years.

Just shows you can't hold a bad government down.

Edited by Srikcir

Western countries have polluted environment for more than a century before they made Asia their industrial workbench. And now they come up and cry for a stop. Why should the working people in Asian countries starve for the well-being of lazy Farangs?

They should pay for it if they want to survive.

Quite sure there's all kinds of good ideas in Thailand how to protect environment, and maybe a good field for foreign investments.

Guess geopolitics is getting another (ecological) dimension, maybe the Kyoto protocol was only a first step. Not so easy to get things done if Asian countries insist on having their share of economic development. In Thailand sustainability is one of the highest political values, maybe Thailand can become a model.

I really don't want to get into a discussion with mouthbreeders, who simply ignore, what 98% of all scientists sees as "real" and "man made".

Interesting statement: '... 98% of all scientists sees [global warming] as "real" and "man made".'

The references I found regarding your statement are all pointing to this survey:

In 2007, Harris Interactive surveyed 489 randomly selected members of either the American Meteorological Society or the American Geophysical Union for the Statistical Assessment Service (STATS) at George Mason University. 97% of the scientists surveyed agreed that global temperatures had increased during the past 100 years; 84% said they personally believed human-induced warming was occurring, and 74% agreed that "currently available scientific evidence" substantiated its occurrence. Catastrophic effects in 50–100 years would likely be observed according to 41%, while 44% thought the effects would be moderate and about 13 percent saw relatively little danger. 5% said they thought human activity did not contribute to greenhouse warming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

If yes, the "all scientists" of your statement refers to 489 members of two faculties of the one George Mason University, eight years ago, of which

- 97% agreed that global temperatures had increased during the past 100 years

- 84% have the personal believe in the occurrence of human-induced warming

Please correct me if you are referring to another survey regarding the "all scientists", "real" and "man made".

I am like you, I don't want to get into a discussion as I'm not a qualified scientist - actually I'm not even a scientist at all. But from time to time I read not exclusively state- or UN-approved papers and really thought, that AGW is meanwhile completely exposed as a hoax, a scam to extort tax money for (extremely expensive) pet projects.

By calling people like me mouthbreeders, what does this make you? An a$$breeder?

No offence intended, I just couldn't resist, sorry. But I still would very much appreciate if you could disclose your source for your bold argument that "98% of all scientists (actually?) see..."

Edited by Andreas2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions_per_capita

Thailand, when it comes to carbon dioxide emissions PER PERSON, you release far less than a lot of other countries. The USA, Australia, UK, and France all release more than you on a per person basis. So, when they tell you to reduce how much coal you burn, well, tell them to shut up !! The USA releases about four times more carbon dioxide (on a per person basis) than you do.

Strange article, and Climate change are the buzz words now used after global warming was disproved and discredited. stop wasting millions on things you can not change or control. as previous posters have said, The climate always changes, always has always will, so go back to sleep