Government Hospital. Good and cheap for simple things!

mommysboy

This week by chance really I ended up at the local govenment hospital (Surat Thani).

I was staggered at the bill of just 650 baht, this was for examination/consultation, blood analysis, chest xray,hearing test, and a fistful of medicine comprising voltaren, loratidine, acetylsysteine, and counterpain.

I think many of us expats may have been missing a trick, as this would probably have led to a 3- 5000 baht bill at a private hospital.

Ideal it was not, and a heck of a free for all. But the Thais were very kind especially the women both staff and patients, who seemed to take an unusual interest in my marital status !

Anyway just a heads up for routine things (brain surgery probably not), and apologies if it is only me that is behind the curve.

Actually the tertiary level government hospitals (Bangkok and regional centers) are excellent for highly complex and specialized things, including (literally) brain surgery.

The down sides are: red tape, long waits (often really long, especially for specialized care), language issues, not being able to choose your doctor (except where the govt hospital offers a private channel), limited time with the doctors and often, doctors unused to being questioned/involving the patient in decision making. The senior doctors, many of whom trained abroad, are more used to this, but they are in supervisory role and extremely rushed (hence the advantage of seeking them out in their private hours elsewhere). The hands on care is largely from interns and residents.

Actually the tertiary level government hospitals (Bangkok and regional centers) are excellent for highly complex and specialized things, including (literally) brain surgery.

The down sides are: red tape, long waits (often really long, especially for specialized care), language issues, not being able to choose your doctor (except where the govt hospital offers a private channel), limited time with the doctors and often, doctors unused to being questioned/involving the patient in decision making. The senior doctors, many of whom trained abroad, are more used to this, but they are in supervisory role and extremely rushed (hence the advantage of seeking them out in their private hours elsewhere). The hands on care is largely from interns and residents.

Yes my wife just confirmed I went to outpatients building. The main hospital is quite a bit better. I must say I am impressed, so cheap. Suddenly, makes health care less daunting.

I find the public hospitals fine. They are crowded, but then my home country is Canada where all we have are public hospitals and they are crowded also.

Hmmmmmm. Do Canadian hospitals have beds lined up in the corridors and families sleeping under the bed, like Thai public hospitals? Since my Thai MIL got admitted to a public hospital I have been shocked at the crowding- more like a madhouse than a hospital IMO.

Whole families camped outside the wards.

I unfortunately had to be hospitalised recently, and getting information from anyone was like pulling hen's teeth. That was in a private hospital, so I can't imaging how bad it would be in a public one. They still think Drs are God and don't have to explain themselves. Like the bad old days in a western hospital.

I had a broken leg recently. Ambulance to the local public hospital - CANNOT DO.

Ambulance to a city private hospital - operation same night.

Hospitalization was 11 days & a total medical bill of B291000!

Would I change my strategy next time?

No idea - I was unconscious.

I had a broken leg recently. Ambulance to the local public hospital - CANNOT DO.

So who signed your consent form? A broken leg is not life threatening.

I find the public hospitals fine. They are crowded, but then my home country is Canada where all we have are public hospitals and they are crowded also.

Hmmmmmm. Do Canadian hospitals have beds lined up in the corridors and families sleeping under the bed, like Thai public hospitals? Since my Thai MIL got admitted to a public hospital I have been shocked at the crowding- more like a madhouse than a hospital IMO.

I have seen beds in the corridors, even been in one for a short time. No one sleeping under them though.

I have seen beds in the corridors, even been in one for a short time. No one sleeping under them though.

even been in one for a short time

Hmmm they do not offer that in our local hospital whistling.gif

NO IDEA!

NO IDEA!

I find it hard to believe that any competent surgeon would operate on a non life threatening injury without a consent from the patient, even in Thailand.

Legally they shouldn't be able to make you pay if they operated without your consent.

They required my signature on many pieces of paper before even admitting me, never mind operating.

Oh, I've been in a bed in the corridor in a U.S. hospital. I contracted pneumonia and have a heart condition. They wanted to give me a course of IV antibiotics and "observation" but there were issues with the insurance. Something about how if I spent 23 hours in the corridor it didn't count as an admission, but I was considered an outpatient. But, I had to be up-and-out in 23 hours. Not the most pleasant 23 hours in my life, but the IV antibiotics did the trick.

No, Hubby didn't spend the night sleeping under my bed! When Hubby stopped by the bring me a few essentials, he was told to move along, they didn't want extra people in the corridor.

Edited by NancyL