Thakhek lao border with Nakhon panom, what do do there ? Any duty free shop ?

No nothing much to see or do in Thakhek. More expensive than Nakhon panom and much lower standard. No duty free shop at the bridge. No nice green areas. However, laos visa is available at border.

Nakorn Phanom is boring and looks like any other upcountry Thai city. I think it's very much worth heading over to Thakhek, many tourists go there for the Thakhek loop, a motorcycle circuit that takes in limestone karsts, caves, rivers and stunning scenery. While the town itself doesn't offer that much to do (you go there to use the town as a base for exploring the surrounding countryside) Thakhek certainly sees more foreign visitors than Nakorn Phanom (which even most foreigners who live in Thailand have never heard of) and there are good reasons for that. Also, like other sizable Lao cities, there should be a decent French restaurant or two in town although I have generally preferred to stopover in Savannakhet if wanting to find some good international food that can't be found in the Lao (or Thai) countryside.

Savanakhet is the worst place on earth to find good food or nice accommodation.

Better go to Vientiane where ant kind of good food is really available.. Any Lao city cannot be worst than Savanasomewhere.

No nothing much to see or do in Thakhek. More expensive than Nakhon panom and much lower standard. No duty free shop at the bridge. No nice green areas. However, laos visa is available at border.

Nakorn Phanom is boring and looks like any other upcountry Thai city. I think it's very much worth heading over to Thakhek, many tourists go there for the Thakhek loop, a motorcycle circuit that takes in limestone karsts, caves, rivers and stunning scenery. While the town itself doesn't offer that much to do (you go there to use the town as a base for exploring the surrounding countryside) Thakhek certainly sees more foreign visitors than Nakorn Phanom (which even most foreigners who live in Thailand have never heard of) and there are good reasons for that. Also, like other sizable Lao cities, there should be a decent French restaurant or two in town although I have generally preferred to stopover in Savannakhet if wanting to find some good international food that can't be found in the Lao (or Thai) countryside.

I spent a few days in Thakhek earlier in the year with the family. The town itself is fairly laid back - stayed at a pleasant hotel on the river - the riverfront itself is nice (looking back over to NP) but didn't come across any great restaurants etc. Quite a few farangs and backpackers (for the loop)

However the surrounding countryside is pretty good - karst, caves, swimming holes. We did day trips on motocys, and did a trip to Tham Kong Lor which was good, though a bit of a hike to do in a day.

Overall I enjoyed it - I'd go back.

around thakhek

sLN4rukh.jpg

From the hotel balcony - the beer laos went down a treat!

hxWTBljh.jpg

Edited by Sporting Dog

Yes the loop is good. Agree nothing to see or do in Thakhek but we did enjoy viewing the Chedis around NP province and along the mekong riner. Absolutely stunning views.