Buy in USA or Thailand

katkando22

I am moving from New York to Chiang Mai in a few months.

I want to buy a carbon frame road bike (a Cannondale Synapse or similar) for around $2500

Should I buy the bike here in the USA & ship it to Thailand OR should I buy a bike when I get there?

I am assuming it will be somewhat cheaper here (in the US) but was thinking it might be better to source a bike locally (in Thailand) where I will have better access to parts & servicing.

Your thoughts?

I would suggest you contact the Cannondale dealer in Bangkok to check on pricing for the bike before making a decision one way or the other. You may find it cheaper to buy it here rather than pay the shipping cost from the US. You MAY also encounter customs duty upon arrival. I believe customs duty is about 30% on a new bike.

It depends.

There are some brands that can be bought on good terms in Thailand, such as Merida and Giant. Most Amercian brands, such as Specialized, Scott, GT, and probably also Cannondale are cheaper in the USA. But then again, you might find special offers at local shops. Some bicycles and parts are hard to find in Thailand, especially large frame sizes, and speciality bikes. The selection at local shops is usually not that great, except for a few bigger stores, so it may be worthwhile to buy abroad and bring it over.

This applies only to carrying the bike as sports equipment on a flight, however. If you ship it in with a shipping company, there is a hefty import duty plus taxes that will add 40% or more to the cost of the bike.

Cheers, CM-Expat

If you are traveling light and the airline will carry the bike with no charge you could bring the bike with you. I have never heard of customs ever being interested in a bike when you walk through the green channel. I have done it many times with no problem.

I wouldnt ship it and pay the shipping and taxes. I would buy one locally. Bike shops here very rarely stock anything above a 56cm. Lots of 50cm - 54cm bikes. I would check out the Giant , Merida, Trek,Bianchi bikes in the $2500 range and see if there are any alternatives to the Cannodale just incase you cant get the correct size and model here.

I would suggest you contact the Cannondale dealer in Bangkok to check on pricing for the bike before making a decision one way or the other. You may find it cheaper to buy it here rather than pay the shipping cost from the US. You MAY also encounter customs duty upon arrival. I believe customs duty is about 30% on a new bike.

I think it is 10%

I've brought a few bikes in.

In theory, 30% duty + 7% sales tax.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-bicycle-frame/

According to the Asia Trade Hub, bicycles greater than 6 mths old brought in as personal effects are not subject to duty.

In practice, I've found the whole thing a freestyle event; as always in Thailand, it depends... I'm guessing the sole importers suffer the same variations, hence the retail pricing situation here.

Agree with previous suggestions: Travel light and accompany your bike in. Pack it up dirty so it looks used - you're just another cycle tourist to the customs man!

If you want a Cannondale in Thailand, the local distributor (Thaicannasia) will charge you US MRSP + 10% if they have to special order it in. The selection here isn't great, so if that's what you want, suggest to buy in the U.S. And bring it with you.

Edited by moonoi

http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-bicycle-frame/

According to the Asia Trade Hub, bicycles greater than 6 mths old brought in as personal effects are not subject to duty.

In practice, I've found the whole thing a freestyle event; as always in Thailand, it depends... I'm guessing the sole importers suffer the same variations, hence the retail pricing situation here.

Agree with previous suggestions: Travel light and accompany your bike in. Pack it up dirty so it looks used - you're just another cycle tourist to the customs man!

Calculator tells 10 % not 30.

But 10 % will turn out that you pay something like 30% in total (including VAT, clearing fees, etc).

But if you arrive with a bicycle I am sure you don't have to pay something. Many people travel with bicycle, scuba gear, etc etc and I never heard that they got problems.

But 10 % will turn out that you pay something like 30% in total (including VAT, clearing fees, etc).

But if you arrive with a bicycle I am sure you don't have to pay something. Many people travel with bicycle, scuba gear, etc etc and I never heard that they got problems.

Really? I must have misread it. Good news! smile.png

My personal experience of bringing in more than 10 mountain bikes to Chiang Mai - via via various methods - resulted in all bikes that were shipped independently [ie unaccompanied] being subjected to the 30% duty. This could be 'managed' to some extent, whistling.gif but a public forum is not the place to go into details!

That said, a friend ordered in an XL sized Trek Madone, and the price was very competitive. --- so I'm happy to believe anything!

My personal experience of bringing in more than 10 mountain bikes to Chiang Mai - via via various methods - resulted in all bikes that were shipped independently [ie unaccompanied] being subjected to the 30% duty. This could be 'managed' to some extent, whistling.gif but a public forum is not the place to go into details!

That said, a friend ordered in an XL sized Trek Madone, and the price was very competitive. --- so I'm happy to believe anything!

With the shipping and right duty it is difficult, you need an good agent (not FedEx, UPS, DHL, TNT and specially not DHLfacepalm.gif ) and need to know everything yourself......

That alone will be a couple thousand Baht.

For 1000 USD bike not worth the hassle....for a 10 bikes important....

Calculator tells me 30% + 7% VAT... I'm confused?! A friend in Koh Samui just got his Canyon from Germany and was hit hard by customs, not sure what he had to pay but will ask. In any case he said he would never again ship a bike to Thailand!

Calculator tells me 30% + 7% VAT... I'm confused?! A friend in Koh Samui just got his Canyon from Germany and was hit hard by customs, not sure what he had to pay but will ask. In any case he said he would never again ship a bike to Thailand!

Ok, he said it was 37% for a complete bike (apparently it's only 17% for wheels or frame) but the customs rounded it up to 40%. Also if the bike is over US$ 2,500 it needs to be cleared by an agent (UPS was both his postal service as well as the handling agent) to handle the work which cost him another 8,000 baht.

Ok, he said it was 37% for a complete bike (apparently it's only 17% for wheels or frame) but the customs rounded it up to 40%. Also if the bike is over US$ 2,500 it needs to be cleared by an agent (UPS was both his postal service as well as the handling agent) to handle the work which cost him another 8,000 baht.

interesting I re-checked:

Normal bicycles are 30 % and racing bicycles are 1 %. So clear a street racing bike is 1 %. BUT is a mountainbike a racing bike or a general bike. And if it is a general bike is it still general after paying 500 Baht to the officer to check the details?

yes 30 + 7 % is easily 40 % in the calculation and yes an agent is needed. 8000 Baht is a bit over the top for the agent, but there are some fees and I would say 5000 is normal. You need an agent who knows these things are is active to save money for you and that is hard to find. We paid on on material for hydraulic seals 10% for years till we figured out that it can be done for 5 %, some cases 0 %.

If you import 10 bikes for 25000 USD you can figure it all out and find the best solution. If you buy 1 for 2.500 everyone makes mistakes and the usual agent has no clue. So I would say these 40% are honest but not the smartest thing, but I, even with experience might end with the same sad.png

His was a high end road bike and yes the agent was more expensive than he had anticipated. They charged him for overtime and other bs stuff. I'm just saying what a private guy importing a single bike could expect. Taking the bike with you yourself is always the best option if you have that option.

His was a high end road bike and yes the agent was more expensive than he had anticipated. They charged him for overtime and other bs stuff. I'm just saying what a private guy importing a single bike could expect. Taking the bike with you yourself is always the best option if you have that option.

jup as private surely you would get something like that. We kicked out our agent for sea freight after many years as their service get worse all the time and we had to pay a lot that wasn't necessary. And we have 2-3 sea freights per month and waste experience and still we get problems.

(small add: it was never the Thai customs who made us problems, always the agents. Last thing was they invoiced us 1000 Baht under the table fee for the customs to not check our shipment, our shipment is 100% correct, they can check it....)

• 2 weeks later...

Buy it here. Support the local economy. But choose the shop wisely, with an eye toward a lasting relationship and not the cheapest price for your selected model. Make sure it's a full service shop with a good inventory of parts.

When you need service, walk in with your head held high. Same thing if you need parts or accessories.

You may pay a few percent more, but discretionary items like carbon bicycles should be an object of love, and not one of cheap (if you get what I mean).

Buy it here. Support the local economy. But choose the shop wisely, with an eye toward a lasting relationship and not the cheapest price for your selected model. Make sure it's a full service shop with a good inventory of parts.

When you need service, walk in with your head held high. Same thing if you need parts or accessories.

You may pay a few percent more, but discretionary items like carbon bicycles should be an object of love, and not one of cheap (if you get what I mean).

"But choose the shop wisely, with an eye toward a lasting relationship and not the cheapest price for your selected model. Make sure it's a full service shop with a good inventory of parts."

I think this dream will simply not happen.....

"But choose the shop wisely, with an eye toward a lasting relationship and not the cheapest price for your selected model. Make sure it's a full service shop with a good inventory of parts."

I can't speak for Chiang Mai, but here in BKK, I brought some fasteners and a chain wheel over to Pro Bike, and they had replacements in stock, among what look like hundreds of parts drawers scattered throughout the store. I even had my choice of materials and price levels. The guys spent 5 or 10 minutes scrounging up my choices.

That's after I brought the same parts to several other smaller shops and got a 5 second "no have" before they wheeled around and turned their back on me. To me, that's worth paying a few percent more.

Edited by impulse

If you are traveling light and the airline will carry the bike with no charge you could bring the bike with you. I have never heard of customs ever being interested in a bike when you walk through the green channel. I have done it many times with no problem.

I wouldnt ship it and pay the shipping and taxes. I would buy one locally. Bike shops here very rarely stock anything above a 56cm. Lots of 50cm - 54cm bikes. I would check out the Giant , Merida, Trek,Bianchi bikes in the $2500 range and see if there are any alternatives to the Cannodale just incase you cant get the correct size and model here.

My Friend who lives in the US and is Thai, took the bike on the airplane with him, I think he removed the wheels and packed the whole thing in a flat box. He had no problem with the airline or with customs.

Call your airline and ask about checking your bike in as luggage.

Edited by sirineou

I can't speak for Chiang Mai, but here in BKK, I brought some fasteners and a chain wheel over to Pro Bike, and they had replacements in stock, among what look like hundreds of parts drawers scattered throughout the store. I even had my choice of materials and price levels. The guys spent 5 or 10 minutes scrounging up my choices.

That's after I brought the same parts to several other smaller shops and got a 5 second "no have" before they wheeled around and turned their back on me. To me, that's worth paying a few percent more.

Probike isn't one of h90s favorite shops, I also wouldn't hold them up as a paragon of Thai bicycle shops, you probably got lucky. :-) Edited by moonoi

Probike isn't one of h90s favorite shops, I also wouldn't hold them up as a paragon of Thai bicycle shops, you probably got lucky. :-)

I seem to get lucky a lot there. They leave me alone when I'm browsing. They help me only when I ask for help. And with the exception of an oddball part for my Aussie built recumbent, they always have the components I need. To be honest, on the suggestions of others here on TV, I avoided them for years. For the last year, they're my go-to place for bike parts in BKK. But I can see how some may not like the shop and some of their people. They aren't overtly friendly.

BTW, I'm not married to the shop, so any better suggestions are welcome. Close to BTS or MRT is a big plus.

Edited by impulse

Probike is ok but when i visit i always have trouble getting anybodies attention. Some staff prefer to avoid eye contact. This is when i am trying to buy something as well, spending cash.

Indeed was in there this weekend wanting to get a price on a Trek Fuel Ex 9, left 30 min later non the wiser.....felt like the staff were deliberately avoiding me!

Probike is ok but when i visit i always have trouble getting anybodies attention. Some staff prefer to avoid eye contact. This is when i am trying to buy something as well, spending cash.

Indeed was in there this weekend wanting to get a price on a Trek Fuel Ex 9, left 30 min later non the wiser.....felt like the staff were deliberately avoiding me!

It's cos their English isn't very good, and they are too lazy to struggle.

Actually, I disagree, their English is pretty good, I just feel like they can't be bothered. But then my Thai colleagues say they have the same experience, so at least there's no double standards ;-)

The worst place I've experienced is Thaicannasia, I'm surprised how they are still in business with their attitude. Which is on topic, as the OP mentioned they were interested in a Cannondale.

Edited by moonoi

Can be irritating, but I prefer that to the helicopter guys who hover a meter away and won't leave me alone from the time I walk in 'til the time I walk out.

Can be irritating, but I prefer that to the helicopter guys who hover a meter away and won't leave me alone from the time I walk in 'til the time I walk out.

I don't know, they're both as bad, one you potentially don't get any service that you leave empty handed, and the other bothers you so much that you do likewise.

I went to SportBicycle to check on the Specialized StumpJumper Evo Comp 29 FSR yesterday, as my attempt at Probike and a Trek Fuel EX was such a failure last week.

Completely the opposite, nice and friendly, not overbearing....the way it should be. Only problem is they are a bit pricey.........at least I got the info I wanted.

Actually, I disagree, their English is pretty good, I just feel like they can't be bothered. But then my Thai colleagues say they have the same experience, so at least there's no double standards ;-)

The worst place I've experienced is Thaicannasia, I'm surprised how they are still in business with their attitude. Which is on topic, as the OP mentioned they were interested in a Cannondale.

Same experience with Probike and the most unfriendly was the owner (at least I think he is the owner).

I don't know, they're both as bad, one you potentially don't get any service that you leave empty handed, and the other bothers you so much that you do likewise.

I went to SportBicycle to check on the Specialized StumpJumper Evo Comp 29 FSR yesterday, as my attempt at Probike and a Trek Fuel EX was such a failure last week.

Completely the opposite, nice and friendly, not overbearing....the way it should be. Only problem is they are a bit pricey.........at least I got the info I wanted.

Did you try http://www.culturecycliste.com/ I was a few times lucky with them.

Did you try http://www.culturecycliste.com/ I was a few times lucky with them.

I did, I actually bought my Commencal from them, but there after sales service was on a par with Probike. I also wanted to order a Look 675 from them, but that was nothing but trouble, which is why I ended up with the TCR Advanced SL from Worldbike.

I can only think of 2 places that give consistently good service, Km8 Bicycle, and Sport Bicycle. The rest all seem to be very similar in their lack of care towards customers.