Saving Thailand's Animals

Saving Thailand's Animals

Can Thailand's new animal welfare laws curb cruelty inside lucrative tiger temples, elephant parks and wildlife parks?

Visiting a tiger temple, watching a performing monkey show or riding an elephant are the top attractions on Thailand's tourist trail.

What guides do not tell visitors are that many of these animals have been abused.

Thailand recently introduced laws to protect animals born in captivity.

But critics claim they will do little to prevent mistreatment in this multi-million dollar entertainment industry.

I am more interested in seeing more done for the protection for animals in the wild where populations are suffering through habitat destruction and poaching.

Laws are in place but blind eyes, corruption and lack of funding have been in the past and are still preventing them being used for the optimal protection of both the environment and the animals, birds, fish and insects that live in the forests and seas.

Thailand has some of the last remaining large forest areas in Asia which contains some of the most endangered species on the planet and some great marine national parks. There are dedicated people looking after these but more needs to be done to weed out the corrupt and ensure these places and their inhabitants are still there for future generations.

Re. I am more interested in seeing more done for the protection for animals in the wild where populations are suffering through habitat destruction and poaching.

​The two are inextricably linked. The reason there is hardly any wildlife left in the forests is that they have been poached both for the tourist trade and the Chinese medicine trade. Baby elephants are now being poached from Myanmar to satisfy tourist demand. Despite efforts by the current government corruption remains the biggest problem. Endangered species and their parts are smuggled across the Mekong River daily, particularly in Nong Kai and Nakhon Phanom provinces. How does this happen? The commanding officers of the agencies employed to stop the trade are paid off. The profits in wildlife, drugs and dogs are huge. Straight officers are warned off interfering by their superiors. That information comes directly from the Navy's Mekong River unit officers and border police and livestock officials. In Thailand you don't have to look hard in any tourist resort to see photographers offering tourists the opportunity to have their photo taken with a wide variety of protected species. More warning signs should be placed in airports and in resorts advising people not to encourage these people. The police and armed forces need to get trusted commanders on the border to stamp out the smugglers. Maybe form a special unit to control the border who are only answerable to Bangkok.

I taught a science class in Summer School at a Thai school not long ago and was hit by a strikingly poignant fact - over the last ten years Thailand has lost over 90% of their wild elephants. This is not a natural disaster, this is man made.

sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

Re. I am more interested in seeing more done for the protection for animals in the wild where populations are suffering through habitat destruction and poaching.

​The two are inextricably linked. The reason there is hardly any wildlife left in the forests is that they have been poached both for the tourist trade and the Chinese medicine trade. Baby elephants are now being poached from Myanmar to satisfy tourist demand. Despite efforts by the current government corruption remains the biggest problem. Endangered species and their parts are smuggled across the Mekong River daily, particularly in Nong Kai and Nakhon Phanom provinces. How does this happen? The commanding officers of the agencies employed to stop the trade are paid off. The profits in wildlife, drugs and dogs are huge. Straight officers are warned off interfering by their superiors. That information comes directly from the Navy's Mekong River unit officers and border police and livestock officials. In Thailand you don't have to look hard in any tourist resort to see photographers offering tourists the opportunity to have their photo taken with a wide variety of protected species. More warning signs should be placed in airports and in resorts advising people not to encourage these people. The police and armed forces need to get trusted commanders on the border to stamp out the smugglers. Maybe form a special unit to control the border who are only answerable to Bangkok.

Accurately described Junk1e....it would be wonderful if your ideas came about.

Last night I went to Central Mall Pattaya, looking to see if couple was back with their endangered slow Loris. I reported them year or so ago to wildlife foundation (got a reply, but nothing was done until a few months ago). The female in the couple was no longer on plaza in front of second road. Later saw her on side street with her Loris.... one would think police must know it is endangered by now, so I wonder (not really) why this still going on...

As mentioned by others also the problem here as in a number of problems in Asia is not the laws but lack of reinforcement due to corruption.

Hit the nail on the head! You can make a new law every day in an attempt to rectify some problem that some committee have discovered, but unless the laws are enforced there will be no change whatsoever. There have been laws for generations in Thailand for generations regarding littering for example, but are these EVER enforced on the Thai people? Maybe a few farangs might get a 2000 baht fine for dropping a cigarette but Thais? Never!

So to get back on topic, there are ample laws in place to protect animals - especially the endangered species, but not the willingness to enforce them. When game reserve wardens and police in charge of overseeing these operations (in what can sometimes be very dangerous conditions) are poorly paid, and from what I have heard/read quite often paid to "turn a blind eye" to what is going on ("People trafficking?) then the situation will never change.

No need for new laws compiled and designed and passed at no doubt great expense - just enforce the current ones!

do I need to peel Bananas for elephant?

Have you ever seen an elephant peel a banana? cheesy.gif Have you ever seen an elephant fly? cheesy.gif

well I think elephants want peel banana to look like farangs. I m not joking they are smarter than we think.

I know monkies peel Banana. maybe elephants want be like monkies.? what do you think?

do I need to peel Bananas for elephant?

Have you ever seen an elephant peel a banana? cheesy.gif Have you ever seen an elephant fly? cheesy.gif

well I think elephants want peel banana to look like farangs. I m not joking they are smarter than we think.

I know monkies peel Banana. maybe elephants want be like monkies.? what do you think?

I think that you had better be careful with your personal comments, or the Mods will be giving you a holiday! And yes, I know that elephants are clever, much more so than you are with your stupid, childish post that has nothing at all to do with the topic.

Edited by sambum

As mentioned by others also the problem here as in a number of problems in Asia is not the laws but lack of reinforcement due to corruption.

Hit the nail on the head! You can make a new law every day in an attempt to rectify some problem that some committee have discovered, but unless the laws are enforced there will be no change whatsoever. There have been laws for generations in Thailand for generations regarding littering for example, but are these EVER enforced on the Thai people? Maybe a few farangs might get a 2000 baht fine for dropping a cigarette but Thais? Never!

So to get back on topic, there are ample laws in place to protect animals - especially the endangered species, but not the willingness to enforce them. When game reserve wardens and police in charge of overseeing these operations (in what can sometimes be very dangerous conditions) are poorly paid, and from what I have heard/read quite often paid to "turn a blind eye" to what is going on ("People trafficking?) then the situation will never change.

No need for new laws compiled and designed and passed at no doubt great expense - just enforce the current ones!

And EDUCATE the people on the laws and why they exist. Make the people understand that laws are there to help and protect them, their families and their environment.

The problem is not only corruption and corruption is only a part of the tangible evidence of the whole short-sightedness of the lack of environmental protection. A few baht or dollars in the pocket of a few people may mean the rice crop will be as abundant this year, or there are fewer bees to pollinate fruit crops and less forest foraging for villagers because of forest encroachment which slowly changes rainfall patterns and seasons. Everything is connected to everything else but most are too un-connected. too ignorant, too greedy or too stupid to see the whole big picture. It is not only developing countries that share this malice but first world countries too that are so willing to sacrifice a developing counties' environment,plus with the co-operation of the the traitors within, for their own comfort and profit. Wild animals, domesticated animals and animals like we humans will always pay the price..