new drink driving penalty.

crickets

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they deciding this arbitrarily, or is it national policy? Does this mean they - whoever "they" are - have taken justice out of the hands of the court and are practising vigilantism? Did they discuss the implications of enforcing such a harsh punishment with society, which ultimately must condone these things?

Which cop stood up and said: "I volunteer to arrest and jail the son of the local jao por"???

Are they deciding this arbitrarily, or is it national policy? Does this mean they - whoever "they" are - have taken justice out of the hands of the court and are practising vigilantism? Did they discuss the implications of enforcing such a harsh punishment with society, which ultimately must condone these things?

Which cop stood up and said: "I volunteer to arrest and jail the son of the local jao por"???

Aah today it is a harsh punishment on society, but tomorrow when there is an accident reported, we start slagging of authorities that they don't enforce drunk driving rules.

Aah today it is a harsh punishment on society, but tomorrow when there is an accident reported, we start slagging of authorities that they don't enforce drunk driving rules.

I think your missing the point here, in this OP it sounds like the police is setting the punishment, and that is impossible as it should come from the courts. It is the courts that decide on new punishment rules.

I don't think that WitawatWatawit was against punishment .

I think your missing the point here, in this OP it sounds like the police is setting the punishment, and that is impossible as it should come from the courts. It is the courts that decide on new punishment rules.

I think you may have missed that they are quite generous with their new penalties, since the real penalties for drunk driving are much higher

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Drunk-driving-law-tightened-30188003.html

Drunk-driving law tightened
The Nation August 10, 2012 1:00 am
Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

I think you may have missed that they are quite generous with their new penalties, since the real penalties for drunk driving are much higher

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Drunk-driving-law-tightened-30188003.html

Occupants of vehicles of any kind who drink alcohol during travel are now subject to six months imprisonment and/or a Bt60,000 fine, the Office of Alcoholic Beverages announced yesterday.

Point is courts set punishment not the police. I think the only confusion here is where did those orders come from. The police can't act on their own. Separation of powers you know.

If it was up to me.. .drunk drivers would be punished real harsh as I find it one of the lowest crimes one can commit. Drinking and then putting others at risk because because its expensive / inconvenient to take a taxi. I have NEVER ever in my life operated a car / or motorbike while I had alcohol in my system. I am Dutch and for free drug use.. but certainly not when operating a car / motorbike.

Point is courts set punishment not the police. I think the only confusion here is where did those orders come from. The police can't act on their own. Separation of powers you know.

If it was up to me.. .drunk drivers would be punished real harsh as I find it one of the lowest crimes one can commit. Drinking and then putting others at risk because because its expensive / inconvenient to take a taxi. I have NEVER ever in my life operated a car / or motorbike while I had alcohol in my system. I am Dutch and for free drug use.. but certainly not when operating a car / motorbike.

So what would you prefer if getting caught?

Being fined 10.000 Baht and/or 1 month in jail on the spot or going to court and risk 60.000 Baht and/or 6 months in jail.

Keep in mind that if you go to court and you get fined even only 1 Baht, you will be deported as well, because you are convicted of a criminal offense.

Edited by Anthony5

Rob is right Antony - I just didn't explain myself properly. It's the courts that decide penalties, not some arbitrary government department. So I'd like to know who was at this meeting, how they came to this decision, and who do they feel is going to enforce it.. This just seems like another pie-in-the-sky decision made more for headlines than for actionable policy.

BTW, just to give my comments perspective, I don't drink anymore, nor been inside a bar for a long time. But I'm not a wowser. It's great to see people enjoying themselves.

Rob is right Antony - I just didn't explain myself properly. It's the courts that decide penalties, not some arbitrary government department. So I'd like to know who was at this meeting, how they came to this decision, and who do they feel is going to enforce it.. This just seems like another pie-in-the-sky decision made more for headlines than for actionable policy.

BTW, just to give my comments perspective, I don't drink anymore, nor been inside a bar for a long time. But I'm not a wowser. It's great to see people enjoying themselves.

Feel free to answer my question in post #13.

Being fined 10.000 Baht and/or 1 month in jail on the spot or going to court and risk 60.000 Baht and/or 6 months in jail.

Keep in mind that if you go to court and you get fined even only 1 Baht, you will be deported as well, because you are convicted of a criminal offense.

No, you're not deported if you are fined. Two of my colleagues have been fined for DUI, an d they're both still here. (But not sure about the jail term, though - anyone know?)

Quote: "Being fined 10.000 Baht and/or 1 month in jail on the spot or going to court and risk 60.000 Baht and/or 6 months in jail"

Pointless. Instant jail is not the law. That would require an amendment bill in parliament to change it.

This focus on drink driving is not the real issue for Thailand's road safety

Dangerous driving is the issue,

unless all Thai drivers / Riders are pissed out there faces 24/7

What you think ?

I think with a name like yours you should not comment and that your likely one of those guys that does drink and drive. Shows how you deflect the topic.

My apologies if I jumped the gun.

What i would prefer... neither, because I am not stupid enough to drink and drive EVER. If there is one thing I am really against its drinking and driving, i lost a family member to drunk driving.

But logically nr 1 of-course (if i was guilty)

What you think ?

I think with a name like yours you should not comment and that your likely one of those guys that does drink and drive. Shows how you deflect the topic.

that's just silly

oh yes, its you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, you're not deported if you are fined. Two of my colleagues have been fined for DUI, an d they're both still here. (But not sure about the jail term, though - anyone know?)

Quote: "Being fined 10.000 Baht and/or 1 month in jail on the spot or going to court and risk 60.000 Baht and/or 6 months in jail"

Pointless. Instant jail is not the law. That would require an amendment bill in parliament to change it.

Were they fined by a court? If you are convicted by a court for a criminal offense your visa will automatically rendered invalid.

If fined by the police you will probably escape that.

I think the OP should also read AND/OR, and you didn't answer my simple question.

Quote: "Pointless. Instant jail is not the law. That would require an amendment bill in parliament to change it".

Is that still the case when a country is under martial rule (law)?

What you think ?

Could it be that dangerous driving is a result of being drunk behind the wheel?

What you think ?

that's just silly

oh yes, its you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you never drink and drive ?

Were they fined by a court? If you are convicted by a court for a criminal offense your visa will automatically rendered invalid.

Sorry to disappoint but your visa is made invalid the moment you step into the country with the permission of stay stamp. There is no automatic deportation for being fined by a court. The court can make a recommendation to immigration to do so depending on the level of the criminal act. Don't know where these myths come from.