Cruise Control

Ron19

I found this article from Australia and I wonder if this could be the case with many accidents during wet weather in Thailand.Anyone have thoughts about this ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago. It was Raining, though not excessively when Her Car Suddenly began to hydro-Plane and literally flew THRough the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence! When she explained to the Police Officer what had happened, he told her something that every driver should know -.

NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON ..

She thought She was being cautious by Setting the Cruise Control and Safe maintaining a consistent speed in the rain ....
But the Police Officer told that if the Cruise Control is on Her, your BEGIN Car Will Lose to hydro-Plane when the tires. contact with the road, and your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off like an airplane. She told the Officer that was exactly what had occurred. The Officer said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat sun-visor -.

NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE ROAD IS WET OR ICY,
Along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we do not tell them to use the cruise control only when the road is dry.

The only person the accident victim found who knew this, (besides the Officer), was a man who'd had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries ..

NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control when the windshield wipers are on.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do some Googling on this topic, you will see that there is fair amount of misinformation in the article you presented.

My car has cruise control but no one beside me ever use it. And in many cases, cruise control just is not practical in Thailand (with road condition and traffic). And, I don't know how many cars on road in Thailand is equipped with cruise control.

Edited by HidyHo

If you do some Googling on this topic, you will see that there is fair amount of misinformation in the article you presented.

My car has cruise control but no one beside me ever use it. And in many cases, cruise control just is not practical in Thailand (with road condition and traffic). And, I don't know how many cars on road in Thailand is equipped with cruise control.

I had a 2011 Toyota Vigo that had it fitted never used it though.

Clearly it is nonsense and clearly it was written by an illiterate.

Rare occasion, when we agree.

Cruise control don't cause accidents its the idiot who drive the car, i use every opportunity but not when i drive the TGF's car.....it no have.

And this..

I have done as you say and googled the topic and can't anything that debunks the story.What I did find was that the article I posted appears to be copied from an earlier article.What was the misinformation you were refering to ?

There are a number of popular vehicle models sold in Thailand with the cruise control option fitted but no chance of putting a number on that.

Clearly it is nonsense and clearly it was written by an illiterate.

It may well have been written by an illiterate as you say but I wouldn't be so quick to say the possibility of that situation happening is clearly nonsense.

The National Safety Commission Alerts

Safety is No Accident. Visit the National Safety Commission - America's Safety Headquarters for driver safety information, auto recalls and teen safe driver tips.

An automobile's cruise control is a valuable piece of technology. Along with saving gas, the benefit of cruise control is its ability to prevent a driver from exceeding the speed limit. A driver who sets the cruise control at the posted speed limit can pass police officers and cruise through radar sites without having to worry about whether or not they are speeding. Cruise control can save drivers a lot of money in gas and speeding tickets but cruise control can have a down side too. Someone who relies on cruise control too much may find themselves on "auto-pilot" and neglect to pay full attention to their driving. A driver still needs to devote full attention to the road and have a "seat-of-the-pants" feel for their vehicle. This is especially true when driving in the rain.

Rain presents two distinct dangers to a driver; both with essentially the same end result. After a dry spell of any period, accumulated oil, grease, and dirt on the road can create extremely slippery conditions. The roads are most dangerous just after it starts to rain when a light sheen of water is standing on the road. The oil, grease etc. rise up in a layer on top of the water creating conditions similar to ice on the road. It creates such a problem during the summer thunderstorm period in the southeast that it is referred to as "Florida ice." After a period of heavy rain, the oil and grease will wash off the road and the slippery conditions diminish.

Heavy rain however creates a separate and equally dangerous situation. When water stands on the road, it can become deep enough that the tires can’t squeeze the water through the tread fast enough. When this happens, the tires can actually rise up on top of the water and ride across the water like water skis creating a condition known as "hydroplaning." Hydroplaning can start at speeds as low as 35 mph and becomes especially dangerous at speeds above 55 mph. The higher the speed, the greater the chance of hydroplaning.

In either situation, the first step a driver should take to counteract skidding is to take his/her foot off the gas pedal in order to slow the car's speed. Unless you have anti-lock brakes, you shouldn't apply the brakes until you have the car under control and the speed is reduced. Applying the brakes in a car without anti-lock brakes only adds to the problem. Grasp the steering wheel in both hands, steer toward the direction of the skid and then steer to keep your car centered in your lane.

This is where cruise control presents a problem. Cruise control will want to keep your vehicle going at a constant speed and speed only adds to the problem. Cruise control is disabled when you step on the brakes but that is exactly what you don’t want to do in a skidding situation unless your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes. The safest thing to do when it starts to rain is to disengage the cruise control and lower your speed. Driving in the rain really requires heightened awareness and that seat-of-the-pants feel for the car. Save your cruise control for fair weather.

Interesting article.

I have C/C on my Spivo use it all the time, on some runs 80+% of the time.

As for am always to busy overtaking you only need to just put you foot on the gas to go past anything take off and it reverts to the original speed.

I do drive slower when it's been raining, + the permanent 4X4 never had a problem with aquaplaning, still worth a read though thanks Ron.

I have done as you say and googled the topic and can't anything that debunks the story.What I did find was that the article I posted appears to be copied from an earlier article.What was the misinformation you were refering to ?

There are a number of popular vehicle models sold in Thailand with the cruise control option fitted but no chance of putting a number on that.

If you search on "A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago", you will see that this article has been around since mid 2000 and if you read a related article on Hoax Slayer, it will explain the "misinformation".

The source of the article you referred to goes back to a "chain letter".

I believe the crux of the matter is how a driver react to an unforeseen event and not the use of cruise control.

If you search on "A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago", you will see that this article has been around since mid 2000 and if you read a related article on Hoax Slayer, it will explain the "misinformation".

The source of the article you referred to goes back to a "chain letter".

I believe the crux of the matter is how a driver react to an unforeseen event and not the use of cruise control.

While it may be a chain letter we've all seen 100 times, according to Snopes it's still true: http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/wetroad.asp

i think the OP description of what can happen is not good, "take of like a plane" is not correct.....BUT cruise control is IMO considerably more dangerous than Joe Public thinks....there are a large number of single vehicle incidents in Australia and I think cruise control could be considered a factor in almost all of them.

If for any reason you have taken your feet away from the pedals, you have lost several seconds and even more metres of reaction time......and that's just for starters....

If You are Aquaplaning 4x4 ,ABS ,Traction or Cruise Control doesn't enter the Equation. A Prayer might help.

Actually it does - the ECU or whatever is controlling the brakes and diff realises there is no traction / torque on the wheels that have lost traction and all sorts of silly things can happen......it also doesn't no how fast the car is going unless it is taking the speed off GPS as well as the speedo....

i think the OP description of what can happen is not good, "take of like a plane" is not correct.....BUT cruise control is IMO considerably more dangerous than Joe Public thinks....there are a large number of single vehicle incidents in Australia and I think cruise control could be considered a factor in almost all of them.

If for any reason you have taken your feet away from the pedals, you have lost several seconds and even more metres of reaction time......and that's just for starters....

In my estimation it takes about the same time to take you foot off the gas pedal onto the brake as it dose to push the brake pedal from a rest position. Your foot wont be over your shoulder.

Besides that if you use C/C regularly you will find you have to look well ahead to take notice of what the other plonkers are doing. It makes you even more aware.

Whatever I find it a Buddha sent on long journeys. Gone is the ache on my already buggered right foot (skiing) that I always had after driving 500km in one go.

N/B never use it when it's raining, if it's bucketing down you cant see where your going half the time anyway. We have all been in the situation here where we almost have to stop till the rain eased.

It is what it says on the box a CRUSE Control, not a let's belt about like there's no tomorrow control.

Edited by fredob43

There has been a fair amount of good advice in the postings ... when in cruise control you have less contol over the vehicle and that is a fact. So when the road conditions are less than desirable it is unwise to be in cruise control.

There are aids to help you get out of trouble, or infact getting into trouble in the firstplace, but cruise control is not one of them ... even adaptive cruise contol.

In my estimation it takes about the same time to take you foot off the gas pedal onto the brake as it dose to push the brake pedal from a rest position. Your foot wont be over your shoulder.

Besides that if you use C/C regularly you will find you have to look well ahead to take notice of what the other plonkers are doing. It makes you even more aware.

Whatever I find it a Buddha sent on long journeys. Gone is the ache on my already buggered right foot (skiing) that I always had after driving 500km in one go.

N/B never use it when it's raining, if it's bucketing down you cant see where your going half the time anyway. We have all been in the situation here where we almost have to stop till the rain eased.

It is what it says on the box a CRUSE Control, not a let's belt about like there's no tomorrow control.

"In my estimation it takes about the same time to take you foot off the gas pedal onto the brake as it dose to push the brake pedal from a rest position. Your foot wont be over your shoulder."

Well, you are wrong....and whats more i'd suggest that the fact that you can't see that you are wrong makes you a potential danger on the roads.....

I use cruise control all the time it is fantastic and would never buy a car without it.

Are you in LOS......?..............laugh.png

I am and love my cruise control here.
I think you will have most of the peeps that don't have it C/C that is say that they don't like it or even it's crap, but once they do have it they will change their minds.

In England it's more than useless but here with our open roads, 'Not in BKK I grant you' it a Buddha sent.

"In my estimation it takes about the same time to take you foot off the gas pedal onto the brake as it dose to push the brake pedal from a rest position. Your foot wont be over your shoulder."

Well, you are wrong....and whats more i'd suggest that the fact that you can't see that you are wrong makes you a potential danger on the roads.....

Yes I will discuss your idea of why my foot in the rest position IE covering the brake is slower than pushing on the gas then onto the brake, May I just suggest that it'll be even quicker.

Up to you to show me I am wrong maybe using facts not just hearsay or your opinion.

Yes I will discuss your idea of why my foot in the rest position IE covering the brake is slower than pushing on the gas then onto the brake, May I just suggest that it'll be even quicker.

Up to you to show me I am wrong maybe using facts not just hearsay or your opinion.

No it isn't...what concerns me is how you'll find out.

The National Safety Commission Alerts

Safety is No Accident. Visit the National Safety Commission - America's Safety Headquarters for driver safety information, auto recalls and teen safe driver tips.

An automobile's cruise control is a valuable piece of technology. Along with saving gas, the benefit of cruise control is its ability to prevent a driver from exceeding the speed limit. A driver who sets the cruise control at the posted speed limit can pass police officers and cruise through radar sites without having to worry about whether or not they are speeding. Cruise control can save drivers a lot of money in gas and speeding tickets but cruise control can have a down side too. Someone who relies on cruise control too much may find themselves on "auto-pilot" and neglect to pay full attention to their driving. A driver still needs to devote full attention to the road and have a "seat-of-the-pants" feel for their vehicle. This is especially true when driving in the rain.

Rain presents two distinct dangers to a driver; both with essentially the same end result. After a dry spell of any period, accumulated oil, grease, and dirt on the road can create extremely slippery conditions. The roads are most dangerous just after it starts to rain when a light sheen of water is standing on the road. The oil, grease etc. rise up in a layer on top of the water creating conditions similar to ice on the road. It creates such a problem during the summer thunderstorm period in the southeast that it is referred to as "Florida ice." After a period of heavy rain, the oil and grease will wash off the road and the slippery conditions diminish.

Heavy rain however creates a separate and equally dangerous situation. When water stands on the road, it can become deep enough that the tires can’t squeeze the water through the tread fast enough. When this happens, the tires can actually rise up on top of the water and ride across the water like water skis creating a condition known as "hydroplaning." Hydroplaning can start at speeds as low as 35 mph and becomes especially dangerous at speeds above 55 mph. The higher the speed, the greater the chance of hydroplaning.

In either situation, the first step a driver should take to counteract skidding is to take his/her foot off the gas pedal in order to slow the car's speed. Unless you have anti-lock brakes, you shouldn't apply the brakes until you have the car under control and the speed is reduced. Applying the brakes in a car without anti-lock brakes only adds to the problem. Grasp the steering wheel in both hands, steer toward the direction of the skid and then steer to keep your car centered in your lane.

This is where cruise control presents a problem. Cruise control will want to keep your vehicle going at a constant speed and speed only adds to the problem. Cruise control is disabled when you step on the brakes but that is exactly what you don’t want to do in a skidding situation unless your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes. The safest thing to do when it starts to rain is to disengage the cruise control and lower your speed. Driving in the rain really requires heightened awareness and that seat-of-the-pants feel for the car. Save your cruise control for fair weather.

Hmm, funny this, it is saying the exact same thing I've been criticized here for, by saying that too much of a good thing ( I.E. technology) can be bad for your driving skills and drivers become complacent and too reliant on it essentially on auto pilot , guess I was right after all? whistling.gif In spite of the haters and critics.. Not likely to get apologies or credit for it though, that takes some people to admit they're actually wrong and man enough to admit it coffee1.gif .

Edited by WarpSpeed

C/G.

As usual nothing factual just your thoughts that you are right and nothing can alter that fact.

I ask YET again how can your foot move from one position to another be faster than just putting your foot in a downward manor.

If you cant come up with some facts or admit your wrong may I suggest you don't post utter rubbish.

At least if I'm incorrect as have been on several occasions in the past I will admit it and apologise.

Not by saying 'no it isn't' like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

Edited by fredob43