US should explain its harsh rights report on Thailand, govt says

Lite Beer

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US should explain its harsh rights report on Thailand, govt says

Which part on this list does the government not understand? smile.png

"The military overthrew a democratically elected government, repealed the constitution, and severely limited civil liberties," Kerry said. "Subsequent efforts by the military government to rewrite the country's constitution and recast its political intuitions raised concerns about lack of inclusivity in the process."

The report also stated that Thais no longer had the ability to change the government in a free and fair election, while noting that the junta had stifled academic freedom, ordered scholars not to speak to the press and cancelled academic seminars.

The junta had also restricted press content deemed critical, leading to widespread self-censorship.

The US also mentioned what it described as abuses by government security forces and local defence volunteers in the deep South.

Other rights problems included arbitrary arrests and detentions, overcrowded and unsanitary prisons and detention facilities, and insufficient protection for vulnerable populations, including refugees.

Why does the US never criticise Singapore. There is more freedom of the press in Thailand Than in Singapore. Demonstrations are not allowed nor is political dissent. It has been one party state since independence. The minute number of opposition members of parliament are a joke. Real opposition members like Jeyeretnam and many others were victimised and hounded and banned from parliament. Seow, a very decent journalist tried to form a political party and was jailed.

I was banned from Singapore for 10 years for suggesting In a news articleThat they Should have free and fair elections. I can assure you the they read all the forums and could never have anything like TV in Singapore. They would have deported at least half the members.

But of course the US has a very pally relationship With Singapore like it has with other dictatorships in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

The US stand about Thailand is completely full of double standards

Miami Bob just posted the truth- and along with myself- realise that it is almost hopeless for anyone other than the chosen elite to be elected in the United States. In the unlikely event that a person with integrity and not beholden to the wealthy did receive a forum and was able to get their message across- they would be eliminated. America is the land of greed. As much as Thailand operates on the same system- America is the master of it all. Everything is about money. Obama trumpets his health care reform as though it really is reform- absolute nonsense. He caved into every wealthy business person associated with healthcare and created a monstrosity in which the tax man now monitors whether you paid your health care premium and added 10,000 more revenue agents to do it. Guess who pays their salaries. The American people, of course. Ever wonder why a person's' illness should be a way for someone to make money. Healthcare is an inalienable right. Most of Europe has basic healthcare for its citizens. The American government ignored those systems that actually work and are fair and chose a system that rewards insurance companies. This is only one example of the chicanery that the US government hoists on its populace. Again, I am not anti American but to fix a problem , one has to admit it exists. And there are plenty more.

Were your welfare benefits cut off or are you just trying to suck up to your non-American friends?

Sounds like your one of the 9 % of Americans that poles show still approve of the US federal government. Americans have been waking up exponentially for the last 2-3 years but it's understandable that sometimes the truth about your own country can be very hard to accept.

hypocrisy has nothing to do with international relations...you can bring up all the points and counterpoints and mumble old sayings such as "glass houses, stones" etc from past transgressions that are completely irrelevant to this report on Thailand.

US and Human rights is not really synonymous so they should just shut up and sit down...

Kind of like Thai Visa. If you don't want to know don't read it. I don't think all Thais are forced to read the report; are they?

Miami Bob just posted the truth- and along with myself- realise that it is almost hopeless for anyone other than the chosen elite to be elected in the United States. In the unlikely event that a person with integrity and not beholden to the wealthy did receive a forum and was able to get their message across- they would be eliminated. America is the land of greed. As much as Thailand operates on the same system- America is the master of it all. Everything is about money. Obama trumpets his health care reform as though it really is reform- absolute nonsense. He caved into every wealthy business person associated with healthcare and created a monstrosity in which the tax man now monitors whether you paid your health care premium and added 10,000 more revenue agents to do it. Guess who pays their salaries. The American people, of course. Ever wonder why a person's' illness should be a way for someone to make money. Healthcare is an inalienable right. Most of Europe has basic healthcare for its citizens. The American government ignored those systems that actually work and are fair and chose a system that rewards insurance companies. This is only one example of the chicanery that the US government hoists on its populace. Again, I am not anti American but to fix a problem , one has to admit it exists. And there are plenty more.

Were your welfare benefits cut off or are you just trying to suck up to your non-American friends?

Sounds like your one of the 9 % of Americans that poles show still approve of the US federal government. Americans have been waking up exponentially for the last 2-3 years but it's understandable that sometimes the truth about your own country can be very hard to accept.

I'm not Polish and you're not a very good psychic.

But this is coming from a country which also tramples on the rights of its own citizens, invades other countries on the flimsiest of excuses, detains citizens of other countries without trial and those persons only defenders are appointed by the the US military. Some of those people have been arrested in countries other than the USA and many of them have been awaiting trial for years.

It regularly sends drones to kill people in other countries and worries little if anything about "collateral damage" to that countries citizens.

Civilians in the USA are regularly killed by the police forces within the USA.

It supports freedom of speech but when it comes to Wikileaks it wants to prosecute to the nth degree those people that expose the truth.

It supports dictatorial regimes in some parts of the world.

When you live in a glass house it is not always a good idea to throw stones.

I grew up in the US and i'm supposed to be proud to be an American...i don't know what to say theses days. I totally hate the US government now. They have lost credibility....so i totally agree with you.

When will it USA stop being the play ground bully and stop categorizing and criticizing the world on their own believe. Thinking their policy is best for the world.

Instead encouraging better understanding among humanity in the world, they choose to build division.

Civilization survive long before USA came along. Get over your machoism USA.

We are not talking about how the United States conducts it domestic and foreign policy.

This is about Thailand, a Country which relies on many others including the U.S, Japan, UK, etc for inward investment for the greater part of its economy and the jobs of millions of Thais.

We know what happened when Thaksin through his insults at the U.N and United States.

The Thai Administration can talk tough but needs to tread very carefully - they simply cannot afford to downgrade bi-laterals with their Allies any further.

But this is coming from a country which also tramples on the rights of its own citizens, invades other countries on the flimsiest of excuses, detains citizens of other countries without trial and those persons only defenders are appointed by the the US military. Some of those people have been arrested in countries other than the USA and many of them have been awaiting trial for years.

It regularly sends drones to kill people in other countries and worries little if anything about "collateral damage" to that countries citizens.

It supports freedom of speech but when it comes to Wikileaks it wants to prosecute to the nth degree those people that expose the truth.

All of those things are sort of subjectively true. But note also that it is due to the work of other American institutions, both within and outside of the government, that you know this. Because of the broad American committment to fairness and reason, we are free to discuss such things and would be even within the United States itself. As a result real information, however unattractive it may be, is usually available. Concerned citizens like billd766, informed by this information, may agitate for change in either policy or leadership without fear of retribution from on high, and like-minded officials are largely free to join them. The ballot box ensures that in the long term they must be listened to.

Democratic systems are not perfect. Consider that well and truly proven. But they are self-correcting and capable of autonomous improvement. Which is a huge improvement over the alternative.

Edited by cocopops

I grew up in the US and i'm supposed to be proud to be an American...i don't know what to say theses days. I totally hate the US government now. They have lost credibility....so i totally agree with you.

It's always more meaningful to derive pride from one's own accomplishments or the accomplishment of a loved one. I am American merely because my parents were

Maybe allowing your citizens the right to voice there opinion might be a good start and correct the US isn't squeaky clean and it's citizens will be first to admit it. But it is also reported freely in then media and threat of lawsuits to keep it quiet rarely happen.

I was a veteran in the U.S. Marine Corps and proud of it. But to now what is going on in Thailand has to be done. Corruption, drugs, bad police just to name a few and the new PM has all the bad people looking over there shoulders and wondering if they will be next. In Thailand you do not see riot and whole cities destroyed while the police get a order to stand down. I believe progress has been made in Thailand and will get even better if they fire the bad police instead of transferring them to another district. Thansin still has a police rank so the police brotherhood must be stronger than the military!

did you kill any innocent woman or children or old people

Are you off your meds permanently or just until your handler finds out?

so in your tiny mind it is not a fact that so many american soldiers suffer from a life of post traumatic stress due to having killed innocent people? ok, get back on your meds.

Actually, in my mind, Nobb, your delusionally imagined killer of innocent women & children, no doubt routinely accomplished more worthwhile in a single day than you have in your entire tiny life.

Actually, in my mind, Nobb, your delusionally imagined killer of innocent women & children, no doubt routinely accomplished more worthwhile in a single day than you have in your entire tiny life.

surely youre not denying it happened?

I am wondering where these wonderful countries are. Yeah, the US is a terrible place, but it has more political, military and financial clout than any of your pitiful countries. So, suck it up.

that is your measure of wonderful? lol

All of those things are sort of subjectively true. But note also that it is due to the work of other American institutions, both within and outside of the government, that you know this. Because of the broad American committment to fairness and reason, we are free to discuss such things and would be even within the United States itself. As a result real information, however unattractive it may be, is usually available. Concerned citizens like billd766, informed by this information, may agitate for change in either policy or leadership without fear of retribution from on high, and like-minded officials are largely free to join them. The ballot box ensures that in the long term they must be listened to.

Democratic systems are not perfect. Consider that well and truly proven. But they are self-correcting and capable of autonomous improvement. Which is a huge improvement over the alternative.

Princeton University disagrees with you. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/princeton-experts-say-us-no-longer-democracy

Yeah , right ! The US owes you an explanation about their actions/authority, like Eli Wallach, in a very old western film who said " we don't need no ----ing badges " !

Actually, it was the 1948 Bogart movie, Treasure of Sierra Madre. The line was, "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges," and it was uttered by Alfonso Bedoya a Mexican actor who played the bandit leader.

https://www.google.co.th/search=cast+of+Treasure+of+Sierra+madre&oq=cast+of+Treasure+of+Sierra+madre&aqs=chrome..69i57.14505j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Well, I will say it again. Reading and comprehension are not used by a lot of TV readers. If you have to Google something just to try and prove someone wrong and/or humiliate them, at least read and absorb all the information, before you try. Having read the 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (I still have the book) and seen the movie adaptation in black and white (several times). Those words you credit to the actor, were not the actual words he spoke. You are only quoting what you thought you needed, to further your agenda. So that is where you lack reading comprehension and the original poster quote was correct. The posters quote was from "The Magnificent Seven" starring Yul Brynner and Eli Wallach.

Edited by rapom

when the National Council for Peace and Order ended the political conflict.

A statement like the above ended the possibility of truth.

An Army General grabbing power at gun point is called ending a political conflict?

crazy.gif Aha, new view.

It's just more hypocrisy from the US, considering that the CIA Torture report has included US-sponsored terror torture camps in the South of Thailand. However, the US must continue to promote itself as a champion of human rights and has a duty to it's Democrat constituency that they will not sponsor more repression--as the Trans Pacific Partnership debate is hot news in the US, perhaps this reaction is the driving force behind this interest in human rights in Thailand.