Advice for driving BIG bikes in Thailand

kannot

I drove a full framed 'Big' bike between Chiang Mai and my home in Lamphun. On Highway 11, I'd drive in the middle of the left lane, and pass in the right lane. The law probably says that is illegal, but it's a idiotic law that no Thai with a big bike would ever obey. When I'm on my Honda Dream? I drive on the shoulder with all the other sub-200cc small frame bikes.

With that said, don't expect any Thai car, bus, or truck driver to respect you even on a big bike. I've been in some situation where I've had cars and buses bear down on my out of nowhere, when I was doing 90 to 100 in the left lane and they were doing god-only-knows how fast and they simply wanted me out of their way (you should be driving on the shoulder with the Honda 500 stupid non-Hi-So person). If you feel comfortable cruising at 120 to 140, well, your then traveling at the same speed as the 'big dogs'. Personally, with all the freaking stupidity I've seen on Thai roads, I'm not comfortable driving much above 100. The left lane is always a dangerous place to drive with idiots pulling out from nowhere without looking or caring.

If you can, find like minded riders, then drive in a group. You're less likely to have problems. Safe driving, mate!

Range of safe speed on highway here is 130-160 on a big bike. Less or more is dangerous most of the time

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a topic about this not too long ago.

I ride a 650cc here and before that a Harley and are riding scooters as well.

I don't like to ride on the left side (shoulder) on my big bike, you got all the potholes and gravel and so on. I normally stay app on the middle of the road so I have 2 ways to go.

Traffic lights are dangerous here, since many bump the red lights so if you stop you might get rear ended as you mention, check you mirrors again and again and position yourself where it's safe or consider bumping the yellow lights if safer to do so.

When I reach a red traffic light, I always try to get up front and manage that in +99% of the time. LOOK before you take off when green, since as above, many bumps the red lights so make sure it's safe to go.

In my area we don't really have anywhere where you have to sit on the middle of the road to turn right but U-turns, so I keep right there, close to the shoulder.

I normally ride slightly faster than general traffic but looks in my mirrors all the time so I know what is going on around me 360 deg.

Try to "blend" in with the Thai traffic and don't go too fast when there a small side sois branching the highway you are riding on, small scooters often cross and if you come at 200km/h, they don't see you coming.

What to you mean with your last sentence? Safer in a pick-up truck? Well maybe, it all depends, I have a pick-up truck as well but I enjoy the rides on my bike much more. In the truck I just sits in traffic jams and are not going anywhere, drives me nuts sometimes but I need the bloody thing since I have a family here.

A 650cc bike is a good choice for Thailand, the Honda's and Kawa's are made here so they are fairly priced and cheap to run.

Get a Class A insurance on your big bike, bail bond will be paid (hopefully not needed), theft, damage, fire, hospital bills and so on, all covered which gives you peace of mind when riding.

I like this post. Just one thing to add. I tend to get to the front of the pack at any stop light whenever I can. Thais may drive at 160kph but almost none of them know how to accelerate away from a full stop. Like guzzi850m2 mentioned, when the light turns green, do a 180 degree scan plus a glance in your mirrors then simply out accelerate the pack. Heck, I even do this on my Honda Dream. You can put anywhere from a half to a full kilometer between you and everyone else, then enjoy riding in what I call, the 'sweet spot', which is in a relatively traffic free area between the idiots in front of you and the idiots in back of you. Safe riding.

Very strange topic this one, you have an op that is phrased in such a way as to have people scratching their heads then you get the advice from the people who admit they do not ride as they are too scared of all the crazy people and then there are the ones that seem to think riding in Thailand is something akin to black magic, too weird for me I am out....

I wrote a essay designed for Riders who have done advanced Training in England on applying our system of Roadcraft in Thailand.

I hope you find it interesting https://thairoadcraft.wordpress.com/2015/06/09/motorcycle-defensive-riding-in-thailand/

I have also posted a couple of videos of my riding in Thailand.

Hope they help. Shame there are not the abundance of training schools and advanced instructors like we have in the UK.

I notice your riding in a group. It makes a difference. OP, check out the position of riding in the right hand lane close to the center line. On a good day the left lane in dangerous - watch all the traffic, pedestrians, dogs, motorcycles, parked cars, motorcycle vendors, food carts, vehicles pulling out all from the left. But then again, watch the traffic at the U-turns edging their cars into the middle of the right lane of a dual lane (4 lane) highway with a divider. I never trust u-turn driver either. To be honest, a lot of time, depending on what is behind you, driving just on the right or left of the center line may be the best position to drive, as it give you some discretion regarding your options to avoid obstacles.

Edited by connda

You are always going to get people who say the safest way is to not ride in the first place.

Best to ignore them. Just count yourself lucky that you are not banned from pubs for being a biker - used to happen all the time in England back in the 80's.

Well we are a rowdy bunch!

Of course everyone who has passed a vehicle test is an expert on riding, unfortunately that's a fact of life. It's to do with Human psychology.

It takes a better person to stand up and go "maybe I could do better? Be safer, improve my skills by learning from others".

It is nice to see people here doing exactly that.

Ignore the occasional "Bikes Kill" brigade member.

I have been a professional rider and driver for over thirty years. I have ridden in Snow, Ice, Hail and monsoons. It is my job.

The worst accident I have ever had was while driving a 7.5 ton lorry.

Thank you to all the posters for trying to help and keeping the chat civil. That's what it should be about.

Now I don't know about road design in Thailand. But I hope some of you find this interesting. Maybe you can tell me if the Thai's do the same?

Why do riders crash in corners? http://nosurprise.org.uk/2015/03/09/why-do-riders-crash-in-corners/

I notice your riding in a group.

Thanks for the post Connda, all makes sense. Just one thing "riding in a group?"

No both videos are just me and the other half. I was riding a ER6. Good bike. But missed my ZRX1100 from the UK. Want to take that round Thailand.

Other half is on a CB500. As we were spending three weeks riding and needed two bikes we chose mid range because of price.

We have since made some special friends and it's nice to know we will not have the same hire bike issues again.

As for group riding hows this - Samui Bike Week Ride out from 2014

Understood. It's just that "driving a bike" is generally the language of non-riders.

Sheeeeeesh I see its turning into a shitfest with some of the replies, probably driven ( who cares) more bikes than you've had hot dinners, heres just a few including the gsx 250 stripped down (nut n bolt) and restored after 20 years to concourse. me at 18 ( 1982) on it then restored in 2002

My Uncle was UK grass track champion 5 years running back in the 1950's before I was born, you can google "Bill Evans" Grasstrack. I don't feel the need to go with the herd

Wow ... I'm impressed .... and even with a restored 250 under your belt, ridden more bikes than wotsits name, a family history of "great bikers" and you still feel the need to ask those questions .... like I said before, stick to the scooter for a couple of years and you might pick up enough useful information to help you survive on a "big bike"!

I try to ride as defensively as possible, but it's still a challenge. Thailand is a place where you can be riding down a 2 lane road and see 3 lanes of traffic coming at you. Add in the other variables (crappy roads, animals, unskilled drivers, drunk drivers, weather) and at times it's more like Death Race 2000 than anything else.

I (generally) ride in the middle of the left lane and try to leave myself enough room that I can go left or right (or hit the brakes) as needed. If there are concerns (see above), I'll move over a lane (or two).

If I need to use the right lane I use it. If I know I'm making a right turn soon I get into the right lane sooner than later. Lot of accidents are reported as someone trying to dash across 4 lanes of traffic to get to a U-Turn or intersection. Better off to move into the lane when it's safe (the odds of getting ticketed for being in the right lane are not worth worrying about, especially if doing so means a safer ride).

When we ride as a group we tend to spend more time in the right lane. Mostly because we seem to be travelling faster than everything in the left lane anyways. If the road is clear and the traffic is light, we'll use the left lane. When we get to an intersection we always trying to work our way to the very front. We are faster off the line than most scooters and cages and if something is going to happen, we prefer it happens behind us, not right in front of us.

As others have mentioned though, you have to keep your head on a swivel and expect the unexpected, at - all - times. I like to keep a (fairly) safe distance between me and whoever is in front of me. I'm not just worried about what he may do, I'm worried about what whoever in front of him may do as well that could cause the guy in front of me to have to react.

Thanks for the sanity unlike some dumbass replies.

As you are finding out, replies are generally well related to the questions asked as in OP..ie dumbass queries will often get you dumbass replies..its quite obvious...Yes?

It is always a problem when you start talking bikes. I am including myself here. We all too easily get the "I am right you are wrong" attitude.

It does not stop whatever level. Currently there is debate about Roadcraft and the new ideas about "No surprise - no accident". Fortunately as professionals we can debate not argue the subject.

But on forums like this there will always be too apposed opinions with both often being right from different points of view.

We all are the sum of our own life experiences.

I have many biker friends all over the world. Some ride Harleys, some hate Harleys. Some ride sports bikes, others ride chops. Some try to get their knees down and do track days. Others ride hard tails and go to parties. Some wear Hi-vis, others wear club patches. Many are poles apart. But one thing brings us together and that is riding.

I live in a Sea Side Town in the west of England. In the 60's and 70's Mods and Rockers would fight each other over different lifestyles. These days we - Mods, Rockers, Bikers, Scooter Boys, Race Reps, patch members - all party together.

Well except for the patch club members, they tend to fight each other. One thing that Thai clubs don't do. When I started talking to my friends in the Samu-i about how English clubs behave they did not believe me.

I hope it stays that way.

We can have differences of opinion. But we all ride.

Edited by CarolJadzia

Not many of you mentioned the "right of way" in Thailand.big buses and big trucks rule the right A way they are kings.They always have the right of way.Next are medium sized trucks,they have the right of way after the large trucks buses etc. After that it's the larger cars ,

Small trucks,then small cars. After that is the large motorcycle,small motorcycle,then the bicycle and last the pedestrian.

And A motorcycle don't want to have A collesan with A bicycle or A person.This is the land of thailand roads.

If you don't believe me just watch A busy road,highway etc.

I ride my scooter daily around Pattaya and feel relatively safe. I take it easy and watch out because others not giving way, running red lights and travelling on the wrong side of the road is to be expected.

On my big bike out in the country side the biggest problem is Thias don't know about big bikes because there are so few so they see a single headlight and expect it to be a slow moving scooter in the scooter lane. Expect and be prepared for the worst. You have to avoid them because they will transgress.

But riding in the Northern mountains is absolutely brilliant. It is risky but what is life with no risk? Boring.

Good luck.

There was a topic about this not too long ago.

I ride a 650cc here and before that a Harley and are riding scooters as well.

I don't like to ride on the left side (shoulder) on my big bike, you got all the potholes and gravel and so on. I normally stay app on the middle of the road so I have 2 ways to go.

Traffic lights are dangerous here, since many bump the red lights so if you stop you might get rear ended as you mention, check you mirrors again and again and position yourself where it's safe or consider bumping the yellow lights if safer to do so.

When I reach a red traffic light, I always try to get up front and manage that in +99% of the time. LOOK before you take off when green, since as above, many bumps the red lights so make sure it's safe to go.

In my area we don't really have anywhere where you have to sit on the middle of the road to turn right but U-turns, so I keep right there, close to the shoulder.

I normally ride slightly faster than general traffic but looks in my mirrors all the time so I know what is going on around me 360 deg.

Try to "blend" in with the Thai traffic and don't go too fast when there a small side sois branching the highway you are riding on, small scooters often cross and if you come at 200km/h, they don't see you coming.

What to you mean with your last sentence? Safer in a pick-up truck? Well maybe, it all depends, I have a pick-up truck as well but I enjoy the rides on my bike much more. In the truck I just sits in traffic jams and are not going anywhere, drives me nuts sometimes but I need the bloody thing since I have a family here.

A 650cc bike is a good choice for Thailand, the Honda's and Kawa's are made here so they are fairly priced and cheap to run.

Get a Class A insurance on your big bike, bail bond will be paid (hopefully not needed), theft, damage, fire, hospital bills and so on, all covered which gives you peace of mind when riding.

This is all good advice. If I may add a few of my own experiences.

As much as you need to be very vigalent 360all the time and yes you will be looking where you are going, just be very careful of on coming cars and trucks, especially HILUX trucks, tend to pull out, to overtake, when you least expect it. (You think they can see you) 90% of the time, they think you are just another scooter bike. If you are doing anything over 100Kmh the shoulder can sometimes be very narrow.

So if you see an on coming truck with a tail of cars behind it, you can be sure someone in that tail will try overtake the truck regardless of where in the road you are. You are smaller you have to move. (The unwritten rule)

Dogs, kids on scooters, farmers on steel mules and vendors on bikes with side cars all present moving obstacles. The best advice I can give, is don't trust a Thai driver of any sort and always give yourself a huge gap to take evasive action.

Get to know the areas you ride in. Some areas will become known to you for having particularly stupid behavior, so slow down when you enter these areas.

Alcohol and bikes don't mix well anywhere, but its so much more true in Thailand.

Also if you get tagged. and you weren't in the wrong, you will still be in the wrong regardless of the circumstances, so expect to pay for the person`s that tagged you as well. ( I assume you are a Farang)

Lastly despite the challenges, its still great fun on a bike in Thailand. Enjoy !!

Cango? - Willgo! Collisions involve two road users attempting to occupy the same space on the road at the same time. Many accidents involving motorcycles are collisions with other road users, where the rider was taken by surprise but the collision was otherwise both commonplace and avoidable. The Cango?-Willgo! concept explains collisions in terms of prediction failure rather than the commonly-accepted explanation of rule-breaking or judgment failure. Cango?-Willgo! further extends the basic principle of No Surprise: No Accident.

———————-

Avoiding collisions involves making predictions about how other road users will move in our immediate vicinity, but just how we make those predictions is an area that’s undergone a radical rethink in recent years.

In the traditional view of the brain, it was thought that our brains always process the world around us from the ‘bottom up’ by absorbing information and processing it in a linear fashion, in such a way that we derive meaning and understanding. It was thought our brain would process the visual signals, then calculate paths and velocities and finally work out whether there was a risk of a coming-together. When accidents occurred, they were frequently explained in terms of deliberate breaking of rules designed to keep road users safe, or as failures of judgment by those road users leading to poor decisions, sometimes ending up with a loss-of-control crash.

In the last decade or so, many neuroscientists have shifted to a ‘top-down’ view of the brain, which they now see as a ‘prediction machine'; rather than process information in a linear, deductive fashion, we absorb the picture, compare what we see with what we’ve seen happen before, then guess what will happen next based on the closest-matching, most commonly occurring scenario in our memory. The error then becomes one of prediction; it turns out that what we thought was happening actually isn’t. The sudden surprise when we discover that the situation developing is not the same one we predicted frequently triggers the brain’s instinctive and inappropriate responses to danger, including target fixation, freezing or excessive inputs to the controls. An avoidable collision becomes unavoidable.

Full Article: http://nosurprise.org.uk/2015/01/15/cango-willgo/

Stolen from freebeerforyorky

IS This how YOU turn here on a bike at junctions on a BIG bike as this is what MOST scooters do to avoid getting rammed up the arse especially when turning off a big road to a smaller road.

In 30 years of scooter riding here I have NEVER made any turns in the way you show and have NEVER been rammed from behind. IMO turns as you describe are what cause accidents not avoid them.

IS This how YOU turn here on a bike at junctions on a BIG bike as this is what MOST scooters do to avoid getting rammed up the arse especially when turning off a big road to a smaller road.

When I first saw this picture about a year ago I though it was supposed to be showing what Thai Riders commonly do.

Not a teaching aid for how to ride.

The only information on that picture that is of any help is predicting what other riders will do.

Scooters don't ride like that to avoid getting rammed up the rear. They ride like that because they don't know any better.

The safest way onto the far side of the road is the quickest. Straight over from the junction.

Trying to pull away against the oncoming traffic would get you killed pretty quickly, as is often the case.

If your worry is getting rear ended then look at how you position yourself at the junction.

Trying to remove one danger by putting yourself in more danger is suicidal.

Understood. It's just that "driving a bike" is generally the language of non-riders.

Sheeeeeesh I see its turning into a shitfest with some of the replies, probably driven ( who cares) more bikes than you've had hot dinners, heres just a few including the gsx 250 stripped down (nut n bolt) and restored after 20 years to concourse. me at 18 ( 1982) on it then restored in 2002

My Uncle was UK grass track champion 5 years running back in the 1950's before I was born, you can google "Bill Evans" Grasstrack. I don't feel the need to go with the herd

Wow ... I'm impressed .... and even with a restored 250 under your belt, ridden more bikes than wotsits name, a family history of "great bikers" and you still feel the need to ask those questions .... like I said before, stick to the scooter for a couple of years and you might pick up enough useful information to help you survive on a "big bike"!

Why is it so difficult for you to understand that driving a bike in the UK is VERY different to driving one in THAILAND............I mean do YOU think its the same?

Ive already given you one example of how Thai scooters do a right turn at a junction with diagrams.............you would NEVER do this in the UK, stop being so sarcastic and actually add to the conversation, there is a big difference from what I see how scooters and Big bikes drive in Thailand.

When I first saw this picture about a year ago I though it was supposed to be showing what Thai Riders commonly do.

Not a teaching aid for how to ride.

The only information on that picture that is of any help is predicting what other riders will do.

Scooters don't ride like that to avoid getting rammed up the rear. They ride like that because they don't know any better.

The safest way onto the far side of the road is the quickest. Straight over from the junction.

Trying to pull away against the oncoming traffic would get you killed pretty quickly, as is often the case.

If your worry is getting rear ended then look at how you position yourself at the junction.

Trying to remove one danger by putting yourself in more danger is suicidal.

I read somewhere they did it to avoid being rammed up the arse, BUT I know they are really bone idle and want the shortest distance between where they have to go and where they want to be +no idea as you said, I know they will do this and many cars also cut the corners right off and many by me also think they have the right of way at a junction they are trying to pull out of that you are turning into off a main road.

I guess what I was asking is in that post do YOU do this or do it the way I would do in THAILAND as in the UK ie get into the right centre of the road and then turn right.

Edited by kannot

In 30 years of scooter riding here I have NEVER made any turns in the way you show and have NEVER been rammed from behind. IMO turns as you describe are what cause accidents not avoid them.

Oh fer GAWDSSSSSSSSSSSS sake I was asking if this is how people on BIG bikes drive IN THAILAND, this is how THAIS (NOTE THAI S)scooter drivers do it, I DONT think its safe BUT if Thai car drivers expect this and NOT the way I would do in the UK (right centre of road).

YOU might not drive like this BUT MANY THAIS do..........I think its crap BUT should I be following that way or not was my question, lets say I pull into the middle of the road and then get rear ended as Mr Thai expected me to NEVER do this.

I would advise you to ride the bike as if you "Don't Exist" - Seriously, as far as most Thais see it, you are not there! They will pull out on you ignore you, tailgate you.... you have to drive defensively.

One thing I would say about a larger bike here is that the locals do not expect the speed you are doing. They look at a bike like a scooter, plopping along at 30KM/H, they are totally unprepared for dealing with a machine on two wheels doing 120.

Me, I drive to suit the road, sometimes it is wiser to keep far left, other times it is better to block them and drive like a small truck, there is no hard and fast rules, you have to adapt or die.

This is the problem with the old ways of Teaching. Way to formal and rigid.

I used to use the set training routine for British Test Training.

Please note the following pictures are 20 years old and not advanced defensive riding or aimed at Thailand.

10258837_10153918119165828_1170591221256

11265554_10153918119145828_2240022381583

Yes you can learn a system, we have used motorcycle roadcraft as the standard advanced system in the UK for the last 75 years.

This is how we used to do Advanced Training:

The latest 2013 update is very different to the video. Things have changed a lot since when I started teaching people to ride.

I still think Roadcraft is a good read and recommend it to anyone wanting to learn how to ride defensively.

But the 'No Surprise - No Accident' thinking is Roadcraft is far too rigid in the formal ways it lays down a 'System for Motorcycle Control'.

At first I challenged it. After all I have taught something the same way for over 30 years, defending a system against challenges was my job.

However once it was put to me that what I taught was not Roadcraft but in fact I was sharing my personal Skills and Experience things started to make sense.

Lets give you an example. Here is a Instructor who calls himself Roadcraft (no connection to the police) trying to explain the vanishing point

Please try to stay awake!

So if you are still awake then you have learned you can adjust your speed and use the Vanishing point to control how you enter, stay constant through and then accelerate out of the corner.

Yes it does work on many corners, if you can see safely far enough ahead. But when you cannot. What then?

What about if the bend suddenly tightens half way through?

What happens in Thailand when you find a minibus coming towards you half way round the blind bend?

We know certain things will happen if we close the throttle, especially in a corner, the bikes reduction in speed will cause it to fall in, we can use this to some advantage but close the throttle or apply the brakes too sharply with the bike cranked over and you will be off. Just opening or closing the throttle mid bend can cause handling issues. We need to be in the right gear when we go in and be applying constant power through the bend. And more power to pull the bike up out of the bend. It has been taught by some that if you have to use a brake in a corner then use the back brake as trying to use the front can skip the front out and it is easier to control a rear wheel skid than a front wheel. However this has also lead to accidents where inexperienced riders have been riding around covering the rear brakes constantly in corners. Then when something goes wrong it the jab at the back brake that has lead to them coming off.

I think if there is one thing I would recommend remembering from all of my babbling here is look at the Right Turn Picture. Specifically the look marked as 'lifesaver' this is a final glance over your right shoulder to make sure nothing is passing you on the right. One of the loonies from the picture above for instance, or maybe an actress looking for a middle of the night feast?

That 650 is a handsome bike. I've been admiring them. I saw one done up with smaller signals, and more carbon fiber, stuff, and it looked great. I've raced a bit on bikes. Been riding since I was 16. And have a big beemer cruiser back home, and a CBR 600. Here in Bangkok, i was trying to decide what made the most sense, and I got a Vespa. It's fast enough, and as easy to lane split as most things. And it fits my lifestyle, where I need to go shopping in town here, don't want to get all geared up for a date, etc.

With all that said, to say I have some experience, you've gotten some good responses. And I think you should have a good plan. My two cents: My feeling about all intersections is to not be the first or last through them. I think the idea of lane splitting your way to the front, like you would on your scooter is a great plan. Preventing you from being rear ended. Which seems to happen a lot to bikes, all over the world. Seems like people are deciding lane splitting is definitely safer for bikes, see link below. I see guys riding bikes very aggressively here. Do what you want. I try to ride at about 80% of what I would feel comfortable doing. Always having a lot in reserve. Covering the rear brake all the time. On a big bike, I would probably drive in the middle and fast lane, until somebody comes breathing down my neck. Although I'm not sure of the legalities of that? I know scooters are supposed to stay left, as the local police stopped me and told me. But not sure about bigger bikes. I mean scooters are not allowed on toll roads here, but I think big bikes are. So for sure some different rules.

I would be very careful about driving at night on the big bike, out on country roads. One thing I have noticed in Thailand is they seem a bit cavalier about marking, for example, road work. Or a lane merge. Part of my 80% idea would be to maybe call it a day a bit earlier than you would normally. Maybe not driving in rain as often. Those sorts of things. I think and hope driving a bike here will be okay. But for sure you have to be more careful.

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/yes-california-let-motorcycles-ride-cars/

Oh fer GAWDSSSSSSSSSSSS sake I was asking if this is how people on BIG bikes drive IN THAILAND, this is how THAIS (NOTE THAI S)scooter drivers do it, I DONT think its safe BUT if Thai car drivers expect this and NOT the way I would do in the UK (right centre of road).

YOU might not drive like this BUT MANY THAIS do..........I think its crap BUT should I be following that way or not was my question, lets say I pull into the middle of the road and then get rear ended as Mr Thai expected me to NEVER do this.

Your language is not so polite. Why would BIG bike and Scooter be any different? The law for both is the same. Follow the law and you'll not go far wrong. It is those that don't follow the law that end up in trouble/injured/dead. I don't care what any driver expects me to do especially those that expect me not to follow the law and good driving sense. I'll back off until it is safe for me to proceed in a lawful fashion.

Night riding: nice thing up north at night is that you can see oncoming headlights in the twisters much better than seeing cars from blind turns in daylight. So it's just a pleasure to ride late night. Early morning also avoids congestion especially existing Bangkok. We usually leave before 4 am.

For a big bike the bigger the better and make sure there are auxiliary lights to distinguish from slow scooters.

Use high beam during daylight hours.

When slowing down before u turn sections use dual flashers to warn cars behind you.

Tollways are still off limits for any two and three wheeled vehicles.

Riding in the outside fast lane is still illegal for motorcycles but the law is clearly an ass and therefore in this case better ignored in the interest of safety.

Edited by Mr Wonderful

One of the best advises I recvd and from a police motorcyclists is better that you move through traffic rather than the the traffic move through you.So yes whichever country I ride in I apply that rule regardless of rules or laws, that are not in my intrest of safety.you pay your tax disc so you entitled to use what ever part of the road that's deemed safe for your path.iam 58 years of age and have survived without an accident on all ranges of bikes , by using your wit,commonsense, skills and road craft. No policeman has ever booked me anywhere for disregarding rules if my safety is involved. So good riding and keep your eyes open.

Your language is not so polite. Why would BIG bike and Scooter be any different? The law for both is the same. Follow the law and you'll not go far wrong. It is those that don't follow the law that end up in trouble/injured/dead. I don't care what any driver expects me to do especially those that expect me not to follow the law and good driving sense. I'll back off until it is safe for me to proceed in a lawful fashion.

"follow the law" Ok so when \I get to an ISLAND I will stop for vehicles on the right which is correct then Mr SOMCHAI will drive right into the back of me as he thinks people entering the island have the right of way. Following the law here you will end up DEAD for sure you have to try and do what Somchai expects or is the relative norm, if Somchai doesn't think I will stop in the middle of the road to turn right as hes never seen it before he could kill me but "I" don't know if this is how Big bikes turn here I have only seen scotters doing what I illustrated in the diagrams, I have not ventured onto any main highway here on my scooter as I have no need, its just to run to the local shops an back and I don't see many big bikes on the road so this is why Im asking about BIG bikes

Big bike and scooter riding IS very different big bikes don't cower at the edge of the road and as one person mentioned I think BIG bikes can go on the tollways although this was going to be one of my questions. If you don't se Thais driving how is pictured in my photo of them doing turns etc you must have been driving round with blinkers on, this IS normal practice for them

Do YOU have a big bike? I don't need to know if you drive a scooter I just need to know "how" you drive a big bike , as they are much faster they will generally I reckon be in with the cars on most roads whereas scooters wont so there is a difference, ive never seen a big bike driving down the small hard shoulder.

"follow the law" Ok so when \I get to an ISLAND I will stop for vehicles on the right which is correct then Mr SOMCHAI will drive right into the back of me as he thinks people entering the island have the right of way. Following the law here you will end up DEAD for sure you have to try and do what Somchai expects or is the relative norm, if Somchai doesn't think I will stop in the middle of the road to turn right as hes never seen it before he could kill me but "I" don't know if this is how Big bikes turn here I have only seen scotters doing what I illustrated in the diagrams, I have not ventured onto any main highway here on my scooter as I have no need, its just to run to the local shops an back and I don't see many big bikes on the road so this is why Im asking about BIG bikes

Big bike and scooter riding IS very different big bikes don't cower at the edge of the road and as one person mentioned I think BIG bikes can go on the tollways although this was going to be one of my questions. If you don't se Thais driving how is pictured in my photo of them doing turns etc you must have been driving round with blinkers on, this IS normal practice for them

Do YOU have a big bike? I don't need to know if you drive a scooter I just need to know "how" you drive a big bike , as they are much faster they will generally I reckon be in with the cars on most roads whereas scooters wont so there is a difference, ive never seen a big bike driving down the small hard shoulder.

Simple answer:

Drive your big bike like it is a supercharged pickup truck.

Except it's NOT allowed on the toll way.