Camper vans/RVs?

kurtmartens

whistling.gif I haven't seen any in Thailand, I suspect it isn't a Thai thing.

I don't think the idea of buying a RV, driving somewhere, and camping there for a while is not very popular in Thailand.

Probably there are some people in Thailand who would do it, but it just isn't part of the Thai psychology.

For example, when I worked in Iceland, every year hundreds of people would come from places like Sweden or Denmark during the Summer with RVs and camp out in the hills for 2 or 3 months.

Never seen such a thing here from non Farangs, just not a Thai to do basically.

I had one in Thailand for a couple of years. Used it 3 times. Wouldn't recommend it. Get a decent pick up and stay in the thousands of cheap rooms available to suite any budget.

There are no facilities for them and I found they charged more than a room due to their unknown quanitiy and use of electricity. Had generators but not convenient. Sold mine at a great loss.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide.

..better to hire a car and driver via word of mouth. You will want a safe driver, skip the wanna be race

car drivers.

Stay at hong pak--ห้องพัก---memorize the Tai script. You will see the sign everywhere. Good bargain, great rooms.

If you wish to "caravan"---head to Europe. I would recommend against it in USA as is it 2-3 hard days of driving to get anywhere.

Easy to get car sick in an RV btw...rock n rolling motion.

Best of luck. How did you ever get the RV idea in your head to begin with?

It's bad enough driving a car on the narrow, congested Thai roads. Driving an RV would be a nightmare, and where to park?- no camp grounds outside National Parks that I know of.

Suppose you could be like truck drivers and park on side of the road.

Open all night gasstations (like PTT with 7/11's) are pretty good places. I slept a lot of times in my car there. (just like the Thai do).

I do see the appeal of an RV . Instead of sleeping in sh-tty pampam motels or expensive hotels , you have a good , clean cheap mini home with you. And no filling out TM xx for immigration...

But in this heat , that's like driving around a big oven. (or sauna in the humid south).

And Thai roads have nowhere to stop , where it is nice. From asfalt right into the dirt & bush , wrecking your tyres.

• 4 months later...

MY 2013 Toyota Vigo 2.5Lt M/T 4,xxx km

3 power supply system, 220v land line, Inverter, and power generatio 2.5kva (sufficient to activate 220v a/c)

Refrigerator, Microwave, Toilet, water pump, back up batteries for invertor, water reservoir for 80 ltrs

Satellite TV

Modified rear suspension together with Air Suspension