KFC Becomes First US Fast-food Chain in Myanmar

Jonathan Fairfield

KFC Becomes First US Fast-food Chain in Myanmar

YANGON:-- Hundreds of excited and hungry customers ate at Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) in Yangon on Tuesday, as Myanmar's first-ever major U.S. fast restaurant chain opened in the country's largest city.

Before opening for lunch, several dozen people lined up, some waiting for hours to purchase the famous Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Most customers had a positive review, posing for selfies (self-portrait photos) with their large buckets of chicken and fountain sodas.

KFC is one of several Western brands to enter the Myanmar market since direct military rule ended in 2011, leading to an easing of U.S. and European sanctions.

Crowds flock to Burma's first KFC

Security guards stationed at Rangoon restaurant as first major western fast-food chain opens outlet in formerly isolated country

KFC has opened an outlet in Burma, the first major western fast-food chain to launch in the once-isolated country that was ruled by the military for nearly half a century.

Crowds pushed into the restaurant at lunchtime on Tuesday to eat fried on-the-bone chicken and spicy “Zinger” burgers. As the counters were overburdened with orders, security guards closed the glass doors and customers waited outside, holding umbrellas in the tropical rain.

KFC is now able to operate in the former capital of Rangoon after the US lifted sanctions in 2012 following moves towards a partially civilian government.

I thought the move to a partially civilian government was a positive move for Burma, and then, KFC.

I suppose 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

There are KFC's in 118 countries including 4,500 of them in China. Colonel Sanders did well for himself and many other people.

How successful are you? whistling.gif

Passed that KFC branch on Sunday and seriously considered stopping and gorging myself on wings and mashed potatoes since Burmese food is crap. They do make some good beer though (kind of like the opposite of Thailand).

I thought the move to a partially civilian government was a positive move for Burma, and then, KFC.

There are KFC's in 118 countries including 4,500 of them in China. Colonel Sanders did well for himself and many other people.

So it's fine with you that this spewer of garbage is a success due to the fact that people enjoy eating rubbish?

I have been very successful in my endeavours to date, thank you.

My life at the moment is very good, much better than Col. Sanders, given the fact that I am still alive.

Have a nice day.