ANTI-LOCK Brakes on Honda CBR-150?

burnalot

Hey there, those of you who are motorcycle / mechanically inclined:

I'm wondering if it is possible to install antilock brakes on a 2014 Honda CBR-150

I've been renting bigger bikes, and I am slowly realiizing that I NEED those anti-lock brakes.

I need to decide whether to sell my bike for something bigger, or if I should cough up the dough. Knowing if it is even possible is the first step, so hopefully someone can answer this question?

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure that even if it were possible it would be way too costly. The wheels, braking system, computer and who knows what else would have to be replaced. Also since the work is not factory, I would be extremely concerned about the safety and reliability. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it would be cheaper to sell your current bike and buy one with anti-lock brakes.

Edited by cmth

I agree with the others; just not a practical proposition...

On the plus side, the CBR250 prices have come right down since the 300s were released. you can easily pickup a 2011 model 250 with ABS for around 60,000 Baht - a bargain in my opinion. Still cheap to run and maintain, but with much more go than the 150 version.

see http://www.kaidee.com/c149-motorcycle/?q=cbr250 (open in Google Chrome and have it translate for you, if you don't read Thai)

BTW, I have a 250 and it really is well suited to Thailand. Enjoy!

Agree with what has been said thus far and would also add that as time goes on you will probably start yearning for a bigger bike if you stay with your current 150.

I had a DTracker 150 and it was fun for about 6 months, then it just got too small for me and I moved to the CRF250m. Most people I talked to said get the 250L version but as most of my riding is on the road I went the M version. Its a great bike but a year on Im now looking at something with a bit more punch. Will my quest ever end??? In saying that the 250 is probably big enough for my trips (Around Mae Rim and Chiang Mai surrounds)

The CB250 has the same engine as the CRF250 but with a few minor mods. They can be had at a very fair price as has been said and with ABS.

Good luck with your endeavor...

I would believe that fitting ABS to your bike would be quite costly.

But try posting in the Bike Forum and you will get more knowledgeable people than me to answer your question.

Sorry....there is a "Bike Forum" on Thaivisa?

I agree with the others; just not a practical proposition...

On the plus side, the CBR250 prices have come right down since the 300s were released. you can easily pickup a 2011 model 250 with ABS for around 60,000 Baht - a bargain in my opinion. Still cheap to run and maintain, but with much more go than the 150 version.

see http://www.kaidee.com/c149-motorcycle/?q=cbr250 (open in Google Chrome and have it translate for you, if you don't read Thai)

BTW, I have a 250 and it really is well suited to Thailand. Enjoy!

Thanks Jim.

I need to say though, the difference between the CBR250 and CBR150 is almost NONE.

If you haven't ridden a CBR150, you will find yourself shocked and amazed.

I believe that the new 300cc version came out for this exact reason. The difference in torque between the 250cc and the 300cc is massive.

Comparing the 250 to the 150: They BOTH have the same top speed, the same frame, so outside of the 250's anti-lock brakes, in my opinion, it's hardly an improvement.

In defense of the 250, it will carry a passenger much more easily without noticing a performance hit.

But your advice still stands true: upgrading to a 250 would indeed get me those anti-lock brakes.

If money were no option, I wouldn't think twice about the 300. I rented it a few weeks back, Holy Fun, Batman!!

CMKiwi

"Will my quest ever end" is a very true reality when it comes to bikes. (Same with computers, strangely enough)

After riding the Honda CB500X, getting back on my scooter made me feel like I was driving an electric wheel chair!

After renting the CB300F, it took me 2 weeks to enjoy riding my CBR150 again.

I rented the CB650F, and i think this is the closest I have ever come to God.

Everything about that machine is built for fun, with 66 NM of torque, it's next to impossible to keep that back wheel on the ground.

I think after it's all said and done, selling my bike and upgrading to a CBR250 MAY be the most cost-effective thing to do.

My CBR is a 2014 model, and I still have all the warranty stuff with it, and it's hard to say good bye to that warranty.

Thanks to all who posted, you guys rock.