Drought crisis abates in 27 provinces

Lite Beer

Drought crisis abates in 27 provinces

BANGKOK, 5 July 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation says drought problems in 27 out of 40 affected provinces have abated thanks to the efforts of different agencies.

According to Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Director-General Chatchai Promlert, 13 provinces across the country remain heavily affected by the prolonged dry season.

The situation in many provinces has eased as provincial interior offices, the military and related agencies mobilized their resources to come up with emergency measures, including the dispatch of water trucks to severely-affected communities, the survey of new water sources, the rain enhancement operations and the launch of discount product fairs, said Mr. Chatchai.

A low pressure trough which has reached The Gulf of Tonkin will cause rainfalls in the upper North and upper Northeast, while a southwestern monsoon will bring thundershowers to the western part of the North, the South and the central region during this period, the Department Chief added.

It is expected that the forthcoming cloudbursts will help alleviate the impact of the dry season.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-05 footer_n.gif

If the drought crisis has abated, why have people in the villages surrounding mine been waiting several days on a water truck to fill empty tanks? The water delivered is drained from some unknown source and is likely to contain parasites and impurities which render it impossible to drink.

The main water hasn't run at all now for 8 days.

To the dumbass political halfwits spouting such nonsense, come and live in the NE of Thailand and see for yourself before making such outrageously ridiculous statements.

Get of your backsides and do something for the people living in 45C everyday without water.

If the drought crisis has abated, why have people in the villages surrounding mine been waiting several days on a water truck to fill empty tanks? The water delivered is drained from some unknown source and is likely to contain parasites and impurities which render it impossible to drink.

To the dumbass political halfwits spouting such nonsense, come and live in the NE of Thailand and see for yourself before making such outrageously ridiculous statements.

Get of your backsides and do something for the people living in 45C everyday without water.

From the OP: According to Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Director-General Chatchai Promlert, 13 provinces across the country remain heavily affected by the prolonged dry season.

Perhaps you live in one of the 13 provinces across the country that remain heavily affected by the prolonged dry season. They never said the drought was broken but that some provinces had gotten some relief. This is good news for some but not all. I'm sorry to hear you are in one of the 13 provinces that got no relief from these rains. It will take a lot of rain to break the drought and a whole lot more to refill the dams. It might be 2017 before plentiful rains return to Thailand.

Texas, which is nearly the same size as Thailand, got enough rain in May to break a seven year drought where most reservoirs were almost completely dry. There was enough rain in one month to cover the entire state with 8 inches of water. This is due to the El Nino effect and Thailand gets the opposite of Texas during an El Nino weather event. I don't expect any real relief for Thailand until next June or July when the El Nino is forecast to dissipate.

Edited by rametindallas

So, you are sure that you live in one of the 27 provinces that have seen their crisis abated and not in one of the 13 provinces which the article clearly states are still suffering severly from the drought? Dumbass halfwits you said? cheesy.gif

"A low pressure trough which has reached The Gulf of Tonkin will cause rainfalls in the upper North and upper Northeast, while a southwestern monsoon will bring thundershowers to the western part of the North, the South and the central region during this period, the Department Chief added"

This is the only real hope for relief, the rest is just words.

Even when there is no drought I wouldn't drink the tap water!

And maybe if some dumb arse farmers had actually LISTENED to the irrigation dept etc. Then there WOULD be more water for domestic use!

Sorry to inform you... The water distributed thru the system is only surface water from an nearby water reservoir ( probably empty by now) The tap water has never been "drinking water" as we know in the rest of the world...

Imagine that some people around here in the Isaan, they prefer to drink the water from the big stone tanks... talking about germs and diseases....

Some villages have some degree of filtering, even adding chlorine, but i would never consider it as "drinking water"

Buy some bottles for drinking and cooking i would say...

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong National Park and we have had no water from the government pipes since mid January, some 6 months now and you are whining about having no water for only 8 days.

There are many villages in the same position my wife goes to the Tessaban 6km away and asks for a delivery of water as does everybody else. The local fire trucks are going to a source of water and delivering to the houses in the order from the list and they are out 5 and sometimes 6 days a week. The water deliveries are coming every 2 to 3 weeks depending on how many people are on the list and not just waiting several days.

Will you please explain where you live and where it is 45C every day as that is most unusual in Thailand and would certainly merit a mention on both the local and intrernational news networks.

People in local authotities ARE getting off their backsides and doing something for the people of Thailand and have been for at least 5 months that I know of up here in rural Central Thailand.

Do you think that living in the NE of Thailand is any different from living in most of the North or Central Thailand or do you believe that living there makes YOU any more important than anybody else?

I would venture to suggest that you are the dumbass for spouting such nonsense in your post.

As I like telling the Texans, You should go to Alaska and see the sign, where they show just how many

states the size of Texas , fit into the state of Alaska. Well that's my bad joke of the day!

It sounds bad for some parts of Thailand, and I do hope the rains come to them before the

monsoon season is over. I have visited the NE, in the Isaan part of Thailand and seen that it

can be pretty dry during parts of the year. Good luck to all of the people in Thailand who are

suffering from drought conditions. I have also been to Khampaeng Phet and seen it both dry

and wet so I can see where people there also have concerns.

In the western part of Canada, there are some drought areas as well. Lots of forest fires are burning in

the 3 western provinces, and Vancouver island, to the west of Vancounver B.C. is getting close

to a critical situation for its drought condition. The problems is that we are not in Monsoon season over here

so it may get worse.

Just letting you in on the worldly news from this part of Earth.

I think the 'Dumb ass' slogan should be applied to those that live in areas where drought can occur but fail to keep enough rain in storage tanks when the rain comes. Ongs are cheap to buy if you don't have enough money for plastic or stainless steel tanks.

As I like telling the Texans, You should go to Alaska and see the sign, where they show just how many

states the size of Texas , fit into the state of Alaska. Well that's my bad joke of the day!

It sounds bad for some parts of Thailand, and I do hope the rains come to them before the

monsoon season is over. I have visited the NE, in the Isaan part of Thailand and seen that it

can be pretty dry during parts of the year. Good luck to all of the people in Thailand who are

suffering from drought conditions. I have also been to Khampaeng Phet and seen it both dry

and wet so I can see where people there also have concerns.

In the western part of Canada, there are some drought areas as well. Lots of forest fires are burning in

the 3 western provinces, and Vancouver island, to the west of Vancounver B.C. is getting close

to a critical situation for its drought condition. The problems is that we are not in Monsoon season over here

so it may get worse.

Just letting you in on the worldly news from this part of Earth.

Thank you for the information. I know that the USA is suffering from drought in many states but I din't realise Canada was affected also. Fortunately (he says touching wood) we are not affected by forest fires that much.

I think the 'Dumb ass' slogan should be applied to those that live in areas where drought can occur but fail to keep enough rain in storage tanks when the rain comes. Ongs are cheap to buy if you don't have enough money for plastic or stainless steel tanks.

The only problem with failing to keep enough water in storage is how much storage is necessary. I have 20 ongs cross connected with another 7 ongs in reserve. That gives me about 40,000 useable litres of water for the 4 of us here. This year however we have had no government water for nearly 6 months, neither has anybody else around here.

What I would like is to build some semi-underground water storage tanks each of 10 x 4 x 2 metres giving me perhaps 75,000 useable litres of water to be filled from the government water supply when it is available. I figure that to give me enough storage I would need at least 2 of them and my best estimate of the cost is around 160,000 baht for the two.

They would take up 80 square metres but for that price I could buy another 160 ongs. That doesn't include the necessary pipework or pumps, the concrete base for the ongs or the fact that it would take up the best part of 800 sq/m or half a rai. We have plenty of land space available but we are on a slope with rocks and granite less than 2 metres under the surface. This also knocks a borehole out of the plans.

It all depends on the annual rainfall, El Nino and La Nina. If it is a good year I don't need so much, a bad year and I do.

This year is the worst year since we moved up here 11 years ago.

I keep a daily log of KPP weather and the trend over the last 3 years is less rainfall so next year may be worse.

We have a fishpond of about 500,000 litres and in 2011 it was overflowing by the end of November. By the end of the rainy season of 2014 it was only about 75% full and dry as a bone by mid January.

I lived on rain-fed tank water in Oz for many years. Fibreglass tanks up to 45,000 litres available most areas, current cost about B2.5 per litre capacity.

I bought 2 of these to supplement the woefully inadequate 22,000 litre concrete tank came with the house.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet next to the Mae Wong National Park and we have had no water from the government pipes since mid January, some 6 months now and you are whining about having no water for only 8 days.

There are many villages in the same position my wife goes to the Tessaban 6km away and asks for a delivery of water as does everybody else. The local fire trucks are going to a source of water and delivering to the houses in the order from the list and they are out 5 and sometimes 6 days a week. The water deliveries are coming every 2 to 3 weeks depending on how many people are on the list and not just waiting several days.

Will you please explain where you live and where it is 45C every day as that is most unusual in Thailand and would certainly merit a mention on both the local and intrernational news networks.

People in local authotities ARE getting off their backsides and doing something for the people of Thailand and have been for at least 5 months that I know of up here in rural Central Thailand.

Do you think that living in the NE of Thailand is any different from living in most of the North or Central Thailand or do you believe that living there makes YOU any more important than anybody else?

I would venture to suggest that you are the dumbass for spouting such nonsense in your post.

people need water, no doubt,,,just never make the mistake to think that the fire trucks deliver drinking water.

How ever, people in rural areas drink this water anyway.....

short film about the fire truck picking up and delivering water that i made for our foundation (HOAT):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNXZP4LY0Q

Edited by goltec

people need water, no doubt,,,just never make the mistake to think that the fire trucks deliver drinking water.

short film about the fire truck picking up and delivering water that i made for our foundation (HOAT):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNXZP4LY0Q

Where did you get the idea that rural folks would think this is drinking water?

Nobody around here does nor do they drink it.

They usually pay about 10 or 20 baht per 20 litre bottle of drinking water delivered to the door or buy from the 7/11.

They may not be that well educated but they aren't that stupid either.

Thanks for the video link.

We have 27 ongs in total with 20 interconnected giving about 40,000 litres of usable water in total. In a normal (whayever that is) year we may get the ongs filled perhaps twice but this year the government water supply was cut off in mid January and has not come back yet.

The water that the fire truck delivers is not that clean and goes through two filters before it is used and we only use it for general around the house stuff. If we cook with it then it is boiled and for drinking water we have 2 x 3,000 stainless steel tanks for collecting rainwater from the roof but only after about 5 days of heavy rain and after the gutters and pipes have been flushed.

At my sons school in Khampaeng Phet they used the 20 litre bottles for drinking.

Even when there is no drought I wouldn't drink the tap water!

And maybe if some dumb arse farmers had actually LISTENED to the irrigation dept etc. Then there WOULD be more water for domestic use!

Possibly if some dumb ass Govt hadn't deliberately lowered the major dams to 50% 0f capacity after the 2012 floods in spite of an El Nino weather pattern being predicted that would bring droughts rather than floods. The dams never recovered from those low levels.

If the dumb asses who live in cities didn't take water for granted and waste so much washing their cars, filling their swimming pools, flushing their toilets several times a day and generally wasting a precious resource there would be more for everyone.

Where did you get the idea that rural folks would think this is drinking water?

Nobody around here does nor do they drink it.

They usually pay about 10 or 20 baht per 20 litre bottle of drinking water delivered to the door or buy from the 7/11.

They may not be that well educated but they aren't that stupid either.

Thanks for the video link.

We have 27 ongs in total with 20 interconnected giving about 40,000 litres of usable water in total. In a normal (whayever that is) year we may get the ongs filled perhaps twice but this year the government water supply was cut off in mid January and has not come back yet.

The water that the fire truck delivers is not that clean and goes through two filters before it is used and we only use it for general around the house stuff. If we cook with it then it is boiled and for drinking water we have 2 x 3,000 stainless steel tanks for collecting rainwater from the roof but only after about 5 days of heavy rain and after the gutters and pipes have been flushed.

At my sons school in Khampaeng Phet they used the 20 litre bottles for drinking.

Maybe the locals are cleverer over the north/west compared to the north/East!

Good post. Our village doesn't even have mains water yet, next year they say, just like they said last year, thankfully we have an aquifer and seemingly limitless mineral water to extract.

The only problem with failing to keep enough water in storage is how much storage is necessary. I have 20 ongs cross connected with another 7 ongs in reserve. That gives me about 40,000 useable litres of water for the 4 of us here. This year however we have had no government water for nearly 6 months, neither has anybody else around here.

What I would like is to build some semi-underground water storage tanks each of 10 x 4 x 2 metres giving me perhaps 75,000 useable litres of water to be filled from the government water supply when it is available. I figure that to give me enough storage I would need at least 2 of them and my best estimate of the cost is around 160,000 baht for the two.

They would take up 80 square metres but for that price I could buy another 160 ongs. That doesn't include the necessary pipework or pumps, the concrete base for the ongs or the fact that it would take up the best part of 800 sq/m or half a rai. We have plenty of land space available but we are on a slope with rocks and granite less than 2 metres under the surface. This also knocks a borehole out of the plans.

It all depends on the annual rainfall, El Nino and La Nina. If it is a good year I don't need so much, a bad year and I do.

This year is the worst year since we moved up here 11 years ago.

I keep a daily log of KPP weather and the trend over the last 3 years is less rainfall so next year may be worse.

We have a fishpond of about 500,000 litres and in 2011 it was overflowing by the end of November. By the end of the rainy season of 2014 it was only about 75% full and dry as a bone by mid January.

The right company can drill through granite, no idea if there are any in your area, but they do exist. Where I come from every borehole is through 50+ meters of granite, no problem with the right rig,