Leaving Thailand / Entering UK with a Thai & British Passport?

Hi all,

My wife has dual Nationality and currently holds a Thai and British passport. We have just booked flights to the UK and I wanted to check the following:

1. Should my wife present both her Thai and British passport upon check in in Bangkok and likewise when we arrive in the UK?
  2. We are taking my step children (Thai) who have just been granted their tourist visas, however, should my wife go with them through the Non- British passport control when we arrive at Heathrow and then show her British Passport?

I just want to avoid any confusion so I know exactly what to do when travelling.

Thanks for your help

Henry.

I

As to number 2 you can all go through the EU passport control with no problem. Children would not be expected to be separated from their parents. As to number 1 this has been the subject of many threads on this forum. At the UK end show the British passport. At check in at Bangkok also show the British passport to the airline staff otherwise they will want to see a visa in the Thai passport. At Thai passport control show the Thai passport and keep the UK passport out of sight.

As to number 2 you can all go through the EU passport control with no problem. Children would not be expected to be separated from their parents. As to number 1 this has been the subject of many threads on this forum. At the UK end show the British passport. At check in at Bangkok also show the British passport to the airline staff otherwise they will want to see a visa in the Thai passport. At Thai passport control show the Thai passport and keep the UK passport out of sight.

Thanks bigyin.

Can you just explain keeping the UK passport out of sight at Thai passport control please? Would they not look into her passport for the visa as Presumably that would have been done on check in.

Coming back to Thailand would be the same I suppose? Show both Thai and Brit passport at Heathrow and enter Thailand on Thai passport? If questioned, show them the British passport.

I just want to avoid a moron who is not clear on dual nationality and keeps us waiting around at immigration for hours.

Thanks again.

She is a Thai citizen and doesn't need any form of visa to live in Thailand (or the UK for that matter) so she will not have a visa in her Thai passport and the airline staff should be happy seeing the UK passport as that absolves them from any worries about visas to the UK. I don't really understand your reference to Thai Immigration looking in her Thai passport for a visa as there is no visa. They don't need to know anything about her UK passport as it will only complicate matters. Having said all that there is always the chance that you will encounter someone who makes a problem but really there is no need for anyone be it Immigration at either end or the airline to know about the dual nationality. Equally leaving the UK she just needs to show her Thai passport at check in to again avoid any visa questions. At any rate this is my understanding of how it should all work but someone else may correct me if I am wrong.

I have done this on many occasions with my wife and daughter with dual nationality and its not a problem and is easily done as above

But now i do have a problem

anybody know if my wife and daughter can leave Thailand on their British passports, then enter Japan as British nationals and then re-enter Thailand on their Thai passports without any hassle

(This is because their Thai ones are running out of date with only 4 months on them and AirAsia require 6 months)

If they leave Thailand on their British passports then they will have problems with Thai immigration due to there not being any entry stamps in their British passports.

Checking in with the airline using their British passports should not present a problem; unless Japan requires British passport holders to have a visa; which I don't know. If so, then they would need to get the appropriate visas in their British passports or the airline will refuse to carry them.

Do Thais need a visa for Japan? Again, I don't know.

Can't they renew their Thai passports before the trip?

ok thanks

trying to renew their passports today and it been a disaster due to my daughter never having been on a thai house book as we have only just moved to thailand. the rude bloke at sattahip govt office said it will take 3 weeks to process the book after 1st saying it will be done today, we travel on 23rd july so we are screwed

If they leave Thailand on their British passports then they will have problems with Thai immigration due to there not being any entry stamps in their British passports.

Checking in with the airline using their British passports should not present a problem; unless Japan requires British passport holders to have a visa; which I don't know. If so, then they would need to get the appropriate visas in their British passports or the airline will refuse to carry them.

Do Thais need a visa for Japan? Again, I don't know.

Can't they renew their Thai passports before the trip?

Sotonfarang...you have no problem.

British passport holders do not need a visa for Japan assuing normal tourist and sightseeing or visiting friends.

see

http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/visa/temporary.html

"

UK and Irish passport holders are NOT required to obtain a visa if they wish to enter Japan for the purpose of journey described above for a period of 6 months or less. (Note 1, 2)"

As our little friend Kamornwit has discovered certain items in the luggage will cause problems.

Your situation is simple. Check in at Bangkok using UK passports with airline. Clear immigration with your wife on her Thai passport and then she will show her UK passport prior to boarding.

There is no problem having two passports and dual nationality. Immigration officers see this every day and it is routine.

The regular posts I read here make me smile. There is no need to hide passports!

With four months left on your family Thai passports I cannot see a problem.

You can all return to Thailand on either UK or Thai passports.

Bon Voyage

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

Regarding the post above there is nothing to smile about. When I said 'hide' that was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words. Do not walk up to Thai Immigration waving both passports might have been a better choice of words. As you say it is routine but there is no point in drawing unnecessary attention to the 'other' passport.