Moving to Chiang Mai- Hiring Season for International Schools?

elephantime

Hi all, I am new to the forum so sorry if this topic has already been covered in the forum. If so, please direct accordingly.

I am a teacher from Chile (but native English speaker) with 1 year international school experience (IB curriculum). I am pretty set about moving to Chiang Mai with my boyfriend (also a teacher but currently getting certified). I finish my current school year in December, so I would be available to move starting January for the second semester of Chiang Mai's Intl Schools. I am applying to schools through email but I am pretty determined that if I don't get a job from here (I don't know if it's likely), I will pack my things, take the leap and apply personally while I'm there.

My question is: what is the best time to arrive if I want to be hired at an International School? I know they start in August but would it be better to arrive June- July or earlier?

Also, if anyone is working at an International School, would you mind mentioning if I seamed qualified to get a job there and what expected salary can be?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

It is not about when you should arrive to get hired.

It is about getting hired before you even buy a ticket to come.

Most of the better jobs are taken in Feb and March for the school year starting in August. Few openings for the semester starting in Jan/Feb

There is a new requirement to screen you (whether you are male or female) for paedephilia.

You should figure that into the process.

Have no idea how long that will take.

There isn't a new requirement for police checks. There's always been this requirement; however, it has been largely ignored as it's quite difficult to enforce.

This is how the report in the Nation started:

"The Education Ministry has warned education institutions across the country to be aware of unqualified English teachers having child sex abuse records in their home countries but coming to work in the country."

And how do you screen for pedophilia? Many of the worst offending pedophiles in the UK have no police records. In fact, people like Lord Janner, Cyrile Smith, Jimmy Saville and Leon Brittan were protected from prosecution.

It is not about when you should arrive to get hired.

It is about getting hired before you even buy a ticket to come.

Most of the better jobs are taken in Feb and March for the school year starting in August. Few openings for the semester starting in Jan/Feb

Thanks Dante99, getting a job before I get there is certainly my plan A. I just thought it might be easier and necessary to be there.

Do you think It's viable to land a job by emailing CV and a Skype interview?

Edited by elephantime

Prem is the IB school. Have you checked it out? There is also an elementary program

Sorry, digital problem......program at Atlantic-pacific , I believe.

Hi! Thanks for your response. I looked at Prem and plan on applying.

I've heard that Prem has terrible work load though... any thoughts on that? I am moving there to Chiang Mai to have a simpler, more fulfilling quality of life.

A simpler, more fulfilling quality of life while you "learn the Natives ow speek proppa Englitch" Eh ?

I'm not trying to be "smart" but please ensure you have a job confirmed before you fly in. If you have never been here and expect to find a "simpler life," you may be in for a rather rude shock!

Best of luck!

A simpler, more fulfilling quality of life while you "learn the Natives ow speek proppa Englitch" Eh ?

I'm not trying to be "smart" but please ensure you have a job confirmed before you fly in. If you have never been here and expect to find a "simpler life," you may be in for a rather rude shock!

Best of luck!

Thanks, I understand. But hey, we have to take some chances no?? I am looking for a place with nicer weather, nicer people, more things to do and where I can get more for the money I earn as a teacher. I can always fly back home and land the same old job, or go somewhere new...I just think Chiang Mai would be a good place to start the adventure of finding a nicer place to live.

I've heard that Prem has terrible work load though... any thoughts on that? I am moving there to Chiang Mai to have a simpler, more fulfilling quality of life.

As a primary or middle-school teacher, you should plan to spend 7-9 hours a day at the school, and be willing to spend 2-4 hours a night at home correcting papers and prepping for your next day's lessons. This is what a good teacher will do. Anything less is not being fair to your students. If you are not prepared to put in these sorts of hours, PLEASE... don't take up space that a good teacher can fill. The student's future is in your hands. That is an awesome responsibility, not something to be taken on lightly just because it's 'there.'

As a primary or middle-school teacher, you should plan to spend 7-9 hours a day at the school, and be willing to spend 2-4 hours a night at home correcting papers and prepping for your next day's lessons. This is what a good teacher will do. Anything less is not being fair to your students. If you are not prepared to put in these sorts of hours, PLEASE... don't take up space that a good teacher can fill. The student's future is in your hands. That is an awesome responsibility, not something to be taken on lightly just because it's 'there.'

Hi, thanks for your answer. I agree with you and i'm afraid i've been understood. I consider myself a good teacher and I put in the hours that are required for my students to succeed. When I asked if the workload was "terrible", I meant unreasonable. At the school where I work at (and it's a characteristic of my country's work culture in general), I spend a ridiculous amount of time doing things that are not helpful to my students, just because of bureaucracy or decisions by coordinators that don't know what it's like to be inside a classroom. As an example, I just spent 22 hours completing mid year report cards, I don't think that's a reasonable time to spend... don't know how you feel about that. In a nutshell, teachers feel like they are not appreciated where I work, and I am looking for a job somewhere where I can feel appreciated and where my humanity is respected. I´m sorry I wasn't more explicit, but I still think your hour expectations are a bit too high..that would be 13 hours of work + 8 of sleep, that would leave 3 hours to live life out of work. Sounds a bit unreasonable.

...................................SNIP for brevity..................................... I wasn't more explicit, but I still think your hour expectations are a bit too high..that would be 13 hours of work + 8 of sleep, that would leave 3 hours to live life out of work. Sounds a bit unreasonable.

Ten to fourteen hours a day. As an educator, that was the sort of hours I put in for your children's education. If you aren't willing to do the same, please don't teach my children. Sometimes at low pay, sometimes at high pay. Teachers aren't in it for the income. We're in it for the outcome. That outcome requires time. Teaching is a profession. It's not a part-time temporary job. There are too many young people today who see teaching as 'an easy way to see the world' and not have to work very hard. They want the time to 'play and travel.' Hey... If you want the time to play, get an office job. 9-5 with no overtime. Please don't do it at the expense of a child's education. It's too important. Don't demean the role of the educator in the future of our kids.

If you are interested in Chiang Mai you might want to check out Saras Witead. It is a private school in Chiang Mai that has a fair number of English speakers on staff. My son goes there and I have talked with several of the teachers who come from the UK or the Philippines. I have no idea of what the salaries are or how hard it is to get a job there but you could Google the school then send them an email and inquire as to availability of positions.

Check out Search Associates. They have placement fairs around the world, including several scheduled in Bangkok. Years ago I attended one of their fairs in Dubai. It's a good way to meet many school administrators in one setting. Also, once you sign on, they have continually updates listing of openings.

At one time they had an office in Chiang Mai. Not sure if that's still true.

http://www.searchassociates.com/About-Us/About-Search-Associates.aspx

post-145917-0-33919200-1436412054_thumb.

Well, as you know, there are trade offs in life and likely nothing will be all better or all worse. I live outside of a small city south of CM and we have several foreign English teachers. There seems to be a yearly turnover - maybe a gap year sort of thing. They come through an agency and I think earn about 20,000 baht per month, lodging included free, and do not seem to work too hard. 8-4 and I doubt anything beyond that, 5 days a week. They are not professional teachers, though they are college educated and seem bright and have a good appearance. I mention it as it might be a good way for you to start, to stay together with your boyfriend as others do here, and give you a year to explore opportunities. There are not many foreigners in my area and I think the local teachers have very much enjoyed the taste of a less touristed area, though the trade off might be lacking in some foreign restaurants and amenities… hope this helps a little.

It will take a LOT of LUCK to just show up at the end of summer and get a job at an International School in Chiang Mai.

Search Associates is a long process that should be started a year in advance.

There are so many foreigners 'living' in Chiang Mai now that you will face a great amount of competition.

Prem hires 4-6 months in advance.

Your best bet is to send your CV to all of the schools, hope for a last minute teacher cancellation. You can also ask to be a 'substitute' and that will atleast get you on their lists.

Check bilingual schools and jobs ads on website AJARN

Just remember - living in Chiang Mai is amazing - working in Chiang Mai is NOT

Your best bet is to send your CV to all of the schools, hope for a last minute teacher cancellation. You can also ask to be a 'substitute' and that will atleast get you on their lists.

How does one get a work permit as a substitute teacher?

And still find time to whinge and moan on TV biggrin.png

And still find time to whinge and moan on TV biggrin.png

And many of the "whinge and moan on TV" people have never even taught in Thailand, much less Chiang Mai.

To the OP: I would suggest trying to find out which people have or are taught/teaching in Chiang Mai to get the best information.

Hi Elephantine

You probably didn't come to the most helpful forum for what you're looking for. Let just say that as a sample of the farang population in Chiang Mai, this one is heavily overweighted in angry,elderly cranky males. Lots of free floating hostility here and nothing draws it like someone being open and honest and young. Did I mention envy? You might have better luck in the education forums. If you do come here, you can always get a job at first teaching English at one of the tutoring schools. As you become familiar with Chiang Mai you'll find your way to a job you like. You sound like somebody we could use.

How does one get to spend all day making pointless comments?

I have a free bicycle for you to use - get away from the computer

...................................SNIP for brevity..................................... I wasn't more explicit, but I still think your hour expectations are a bit too high..that would be 13 hours of work + 8 of sleep, that would leave 3 hours to live life out of work. Sounds a bit unreasonable.

Ten to fourteen hours a day. As an educator, that was the sort of hours I put in for your children's education. If you aren't willing to do the same, please don't teach my children. Sometimes at low pay, sometimes at high pay. Teachers aren't in it for the income. We're in it for the outcome. That outcome requires time. Teaching is a profession. It's not a part-time temporary job. There are too many young people today who see teaching as 'an easy way to see the world' and not have to work very hard. They want the time to 'play and travel.' Hey... If you want the time to play, get an office job. 9-5 with no overtime. Please don't do it at the expense of a child's education. It's too important. Don't demean the role of the educator in the future of our kids.

I think the tone of your posts is uncalled for. You have no idea who I am, how I teach or anything for that matter, about how I do my job. So please don't disrespect me by insinuating I am a mediocre teacher. Thanks for your time.

Hi Elephantine

You probably didn't come to the most helpful forum for what you're looking for. Let just say that as a sample of the farang population in Chiang Mai, this one is heavily overweighted in angry,elderly cranky males. Lots of free floating hostility here and nothing draws it like someone being open and honest and young. Did I mention envy? You might have better luck in the education forums. If you do come here, you can always get a job at first teaching English at one of the tutoring schools. As you become familiar with Chiang Mai you'll find your way to a job you like. You sound like somebody we could use.

Thank you so much for that comment. Made me feel better :) :) .

How does one get to spend all day making pointless comments?

I have a free bicycle for you to use - get away from the computer

Please explain how asking how a substitute teacher is going to get a work permit is a pointless comment.

As far as I know, in order to qualify for a work permit, one needs to have a business that will sponsor it. Are you suggesting that a school is going to sponsor a substitute teacher? And if not the school, who then? Or are you perhaps suggesting that she should work without one?

I think the tone of your posts is uncalled for. You have no idea who I am, how I teach or anything for that matter, about how I do my job. So please don't disrespect me by insinuating I am a mediocre teacher. Thanks for your time.

Please excuse me if I seem to care about the quality of education. You are the one who was worried about 'a heavy work load' at one of the schools.

When I stated that a teacher needs to put in a much longer work day than an office worker, your response was basically that you didn't need to.

In your words, it "Sounds a bit unreasonable." At your job interview, would you say that to the school administrator?

Sorry, but that just doesn't sound very professional to me. Obviously this is just my opinion. You may well be the world's greatest teacher. But I wouldn't hire you with that attitude.