Reserve water sufficient for Chiang Mai until rainy season

webfact

Reserve water sufficient for Chiang Mai until rainy season

CHIANG MAI, 8 July 2015 (NNT) – The current volume of reserve water in dams in the northern region will be able to provide continuous water supply until rainy season, while farmers are asked to postpone their cultivation for one more month, said official.

Chief of water allocation and irrigation system development of the Chiang Mai Provincial Irrigation Office Kueakul Manasampansakul has revealed that the northern region is now suffering from the most severe drought situation in 40 years, but the amount of the water reserves in the two major dams is still in the adequate amount to ensure no water shortage.

The water volume at Mae Ngat Somboon Chon Dam now remains at 57.47 million cubic meters, of which 47 million cubic meters are defined as releasable. With a monthly consumption rate of 15 million cubic meters of water in Chiang Mai, the current amount of water will be able to feed Chiang Mai until more rainfalls come after August.

Meanwhile, Mae Kuang-udomtara Dam is now storing 30 million cubic meters of water. Part of the water will be used to make tap water during July to August, while 6.5 million cubic meters of water will be released into Ping River for the purpose of environment maintenance, and for cultivation in the lower districts of the province.

The official also mentioned that the rainmaking operations from the Royal Rainmaking Unit have helped restore the dampness for planting areas. However, farmers in Hang Dong, Doi Lor, and San Pa Tong district are asked to postpone their cultivation due to water shortage, while other districts in the upper area continue their cultivation plan as the water is sufficient.

He concluded that the overall situation in Chiang Mai Province was not as severe when compared to the central region, but the public should cooperate by using water wisely and postpone rice cultivation by one more month pending more rainfalls.

The Minister Attached to the Prime Minister’s Office ML Panadda Diskul is scheduled to visit the Mae Ngat Somboon Chon Dam on 8 July 2015 to observe its water management operation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-08 footer_n.gif

This government are totally ignoring El Nino and the fact that there will not be as much water this year in the wet season as other years and so the reservoirs will have absolutely no chance of recovering sufficiently to enter the next dry season. It is not all about this year which is bad enough as it is, it is all about next year where this country could be a ticking time bomb to a disaster.

So carry on Gevernment, keep telling the people to use water as normal. Forget about all the big global met offices who are ALL saying the El Nino has already triggered and will peak in September and October.... Just totally ignore that lot because they are not Thai person so they not know Thai.

You control the masses by telling them what they want to hear and that is what they are doing. Very few Thai's will be taking any notice of 'World weather forecasts' as to the majority of Thai's only words spoken from Thai mouths mean anything, and anyway Thailand is 'The World' and nothing outside of it is worthy of note. If the authorities were to tell the truth (almost unheard of) then it may well start some kind of uprising by the masses, which is not exactly what the current rulers want, so bullshit will continue to be spread in ample thickness across the Nation to keep the Natives quiet.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

a little unrelated but maybe close enough. I'm not so concerned about getting to the next rainy season without water, as I can see the canals are quite high and flowing but not so sure about the air in spite of all the efforts to stop it. i.e. I saw rice field burning just outside my village just this morning.

if someone sold indoor air cleaners that use an electrostatic plate, instead of filters you have to replace all the time, I think it would be a good sales item. I have never seen any at Homepro or Global House but have suggested they do carry them, but they don't.

all you do is wipe a plate, not replace a filter which is a bit expensive and "my paw peyueng".

I wouldn't have an air cleaner at all otherwise. but...... when you see how bad the air can be without realizing it, and here it gets so bad you can see it.....it is a little disconcerting to see what the plate looks like when you clean it. I used to live just east of the Harbor Freeway in LA, I know I had one there.

there was one cold/hot season just a few years back where I thought we all might have to abandon Chiangmai whether we want to or not.... I haven't forgotten it. but that idea is all but impossible no matter how unhealthy it gets, at least for me it is. so I'm still waiting for someone to make these or sell enough at a good price in Thailand so they don't cost an arm and a leg to get.

Edited by maewang99