Small Investors Treated Like Scum

Errm....US$75,000 is peanuts when it comes to foreign investments.

And how does you home country ease the plight of foreign investors with as much as US$75,000? Allow them to stay 12 months of the year and let them do visa runs?

the careful observer will note that if the new rules are as described in the latest offering, the thai gov't still lets non-investors do visa runs.

the careful observer will also note that $75,000 in new york is a middle class salary, you're just getting by. how many thais do you know who make that much, before taxes, in a year? more importantly, what percentage of the population are they?

there are probably good arguments against the 3MM investment visa, but comparing it to western visa requirements isn't one of them. i dont know if you noticed this yet, but thailand ain't that much like my home country (USA) and probably not much like yours.

And how does you home country ease the plight of foreign investors with as much as US$75,000? Allow them to stay 12 months of the year and let them do visa runs?

the careful observer will note that if the new rules are as described in the latest offering, the thai gov't still lets non-investors do visa runs.

the careful observer will also note that $75,000 in new york is a middle class salary, you're just getting by. how many thais do you know who make that much, before taxes, in a year? more importantly, what percentage of the population are they?

there are probably good arguments against the 3MM investment visa, but comparing it to western visa requirements isn't one of them. i dont know if you noticed this yet, but thailand ain't that much like my home country (USA) and probably not much like yours.

My point was that when it comes to foreign multinationals, US$75,000 isn't a lot of money.

Forget comparative wages. Let's try purchase power parity. US$75,000 might let you open a shop, or, some other small business. Does your home country allow indefinite visa runs for aliens that can open a small business of the equivalent in Thailand? I don't think so.

My point was that when it comes to foreign multinationals, US$75,000 isn't a lot of money.

Forget comparative wages. Let's try purchase power parity. US$75,000 might let you open a shop, or, some other small business. Does your home country allow indefinite visa runs for aliens that can open a small business of the equivalent in Thailand? I don't think so.

In my country, a foreigner, outside EU, who open a legit business and can keep it alive will not have visa run, he will simply get a 10 years card + a visit to Police station the nearest of his residence every 3 or 6 month.

More, a foreigner , still outside EU, who can enter legally will often get 3 month visa, during that time he will be able to SEARCH a job , it will be up to firm to do the paper work and if not the firm is legally guilty (not the foreigner who is considered in a position of over stayer 'in goodfaith'). If during the 3 month you want a prologation, the foreigner have simply to go to the main Police station of the city (before visa expiration). If the foreigner is fool enought to create a business (any size) then case 1 explained above apply, he will simply have to go to the main Police station to have a visa change.

The only thing who sucks is the time it took : almost 2 hours to have a prologation, and (a terrible shame on the french administration) about 1 month to get a a modified visa from tourist to 10 years(aslong as you have all documentation).

Does your home country allow indefinite visa runs for aliens that can open a small business of the equivalent in Thailand? I don't think so.

my home country offers a green card--does thailand?

Yes, it is called an "Immigrant Visa" also more commonly referred to as "Permanent Residency". I know several foreigners who have this.

Again; comparing Thailand with countries where a long-stay permission (Visa/green card Etc.) also gives you rights in regards to social services, un-employment benefits, medical services, pension, library access , all paid by the tax payers, is just plain silly.

Cheers!

Again; comparing Thailand with countries where a long-stay permission (Visa/green card Etc.) also gives you rights in regards to social services, un-employment benefits, medical services, pension, library access , all paid by the tax payers, is just plain silly.

Cheers!

what he said.