Wife wants to open a clothing shop in Pattaya

flyingsaucersarereal

The Uneducated Thai women usually want to open a food stall, a dress shop or a beauty salon. All of which Pattaya has way to many. In general Location of any business is the key as foot traffic is the must. This is why the malls get the big rents as they are busy. The cheapest way to market clothes is on a moving motor bike stall which goes past all the bars each night. Low over head and no rental agreement. If you step into a rental you will have to pay key money and a deposit and monthly rent which the 100,000 won't cover. If it was me I'd send her to school either for massage or beauty salon, then she hads a skill she can use anywhere without bearing the responsibility financially and she will be busy

good luck

P.s. I have lived her 10 years have had mates do these things and learn the hard way out of about a dozen ..NONE have lasted more then about 6 months.

The Uneducated Thai women usually want to open a food stall, a dress shop or a beauty salon. All of which Pattaya has way to many. In general Location of any business is the key as foot traffic is the must. This is why the malls get the big rents as they are busy. The cheapest way to market clothes is on a moving motor bike stall which goes past all the bars each night. Low over head and no rental agreement. If you step into a rental you will have to pay key money and a deposit and monthly rent which the 100,000 won't cover. If it was me I'd send her to school either for massage or beauty salon, then she hads a skill she can use anywhere without bearing the responsibility financially and she will be busy

good luck

P.s. I have lived her 10 years have had mates do these things and learn the hard way out of about a dozen ..NONE have lasted more then about 6 months.

You can add bar and laundry to that list as well.

Hi there,

So my wife wants to open a small clothing shop in Pattaya. I gave her 100,000 baht when we got married and she wants to use that money to open a clothing shop.

In my opinion this doesn't seem to be enough money to have a fashion shop and I am worried that she is going to get in over her head on this.

Does anyone here have any experience with there wives owning a small business.

It seems like to me that it wouldn't generate a lot of money. I just would like to see her not throw all her money down the drain. Opinions.

Thanks!

I think it's a great idea

To lose the whole lot

Forget it, think again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

near the corner of Pattaya Klang and third road on the left side of Klang itself not far from the TOT office building is a woman's dress shop with enormous signs plastered all over the windows advertising 50% off everything!facepalm.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

near the corner of Pattaya Klang and third road on the left side of Klang itself not far from the TOT office building is a woman's dress shop with enormous signs plastered all over the windows advertising 50% off everything!facepalm.gif

There are just too many people doing it.

Too much competition

If your wife is in the shop 10 hours a day, who's going to cook your dinner and keep the house clean?

She won't be working in the shop. Her mum, sister and aunt will be working, and now that she's a business woman, it's off to the hairdressers and nail salon.

Until mother, sister & aunt have hidden the 100k & then nobody will be working there

It's ridiculous

Clothes shop

Hang in a mo, I've had an idea, guaranteed money maker, easy money, I'm going to buy a bar, this time next year I'll be millionaire

Ask her why, with all the clothing shops and market stalls in Pattaya, what will it be about her shop that will make people buy her clothes as opposed to going somewhere else.

I never liked the idea of going into retail: a lot of $$ up front for inventory, thin margins, and another dozen things. If things don't fly she'll need more money. Careful of getting a hole in your pocket.

I agree seems like won't make much if anything. Told her if you run out of money don't come to me because I won't give you more.

You might as well throw the 100k down the toilet and save all the hard work that is going to go into losing it.

Considering the extreme oversupply of clothing shops/stalls in Pattaya, and how low this low season is, it's the silliest idea I've heard in a long while. She won't even be able to afford rent until the high season commences, assuming it will.

Edited by tropo

Ask her why, with all the clothing shops and market stalls in Pattaya, what will it be about her shop that will make people buy her clothes as opposed to going somewhere else.

I never liked the idea of going into retail: a lot of $$ up front for inventory, thin margins, and another dozen things. If things don't fly she'll need more money. Careful of getting a hole in your pocket.

I agree seems like won't make much if anything. Told her if you run out of money don't come to me because I won't give you more.

You might as well throw the 100k down the toilet and save all the hard work that is going to go into losing it.

Considering the extreme oversupply of clothing shops/stall in Pattaya, and how low this low season is, it's the silliest idea I've heard in a long while. She won't even be able to afford rent until the high season commences, assuming it will.

Too true.

About six years ago my TGF hassled me enough to invest in a food stall after years of nagging to variously buy a bar, a laundry and a beauty shop. I decided to agree to the food stall and gave her 30k and told her she would be lucky to last 3 months.

It was almost three months to the day that she went broke or should I say I lost my money.

It was a great investment for me because every time she comes up with another hair brained scheme of a business I remind her of that failure.

Last year she started back with the idea of a massage shop. I mean you gotta laugh really but she was dead serious. She wouldn't give up on it and get on to me about it and eventually I told her to get a bank loan and mortgage her house if she was so sure it was going to succeed.

I haven't heard anymore on that one.