Thai national with Belgian mother - VISA rules

Dear and O revered Thaivisa,

Please help advise about the following situation.

1. I am 32 years old with Thai nationality.

2. My mother is Belgian.

3. I wish to take care of her here, she is about to reach 55 years old.

Can I apply for a special visa as she is my mother, what are the requirements ?

Also, if she wishes to work here by selling food or whatever, can she work for me ?

Thank you for your advice.

Lifedrainer

There is no special visa. But she can apply for an extension of stay, cost Bt 1,900 at Thai immigration, with your birth certificate, house registration ID. She will need to obtain and non-imm 'O' visa first. She can;t legally work unless you can get a work permit approved, but that has high requirements.

Your mother can apply for a non-O visa, being he mother of a Thai national. A copy of your Thi birth certificate should do the trick.

Once in Thailand your mother can get yearly extensions of stay as your dependent. As your dependent she cannot legally work and will not easily get a work permit. The requirements for that are too high to make that viable for a small business.

Mario2008/PAZ... Is what you are saying also valid if the parent was a father??????

Glegolo

Either parent of a Thai can apply for an extension of stay based upon that. It does require 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income.

The newest police order also has a new line in it that allows for a parent that is over 50 to be supported by their child with no financial proof needed. No reports yet of this being done..

• Like 1

There is no special visa. But she can apply for an extension of stay, cost Bt 1,900 at Thai immigration, with your birth certificate, house registration ID. She will need to obtain and non-imm 'O' visa first. She can;t legally work unless you can get a work permit approved, but that has high requirements.

Thank you all for the replies.

Let me go back on this one, it seems getting non-imm visa will be easy with my thai ID.

Then you mean, she needs to have 400K in a bank account at the moment she renews her visa on a yearly basis ?

Exstention of stay costs 1,900 for a year ?

That's all I wanted to know thanks.

With 400,000 in the bank OR an income of 40,000 a month (which can be from abroad) it will not be a problem for her to get an extension.

if going for the 400,000 option the money needs to be in the bank for 2 months prior to applying for the extension. The extension costs 1,900 baht.

As said, it might even be possible without the money, but that rule is still unclear.