electric bike retrofit

hougourou

I've been wanting to put an electric motor on one of my mountain bikes to see what it's like. I'm in Chiang Mai and found Mong Bikes on Chang Moi Road has some nice kits, in which the motor lives on the rear hub, but only suitable for 7 speed cassettes. I did more research and found a website in Bangkok which is selling mid-drive systems (remove bottom bracket and front derailleur, motor goes there), but they told me their 36 watt motor was best for level ground. I'm looking for something that will help me on long climbs. Pedal assist, or pedalec, is the buzzword. More research led to the Bafang BBS-02 48 volt 750 watt mid-drive kit. Looks like just what I'd like (the battery is another story). I can order this from China for a bit over $500, shipped.

Does anyone have an idea of how much customs duty I'd get to pay once this reaches Thailand? I looked at the customs website and see they talk about 60% duty on bicycle parts. Ouch!

Otherwise, does anyone know one someone selling the Bafang kit in Thailand?

Any input greatly appreciated.

There are a lot of electric bikes for sale in Thailand. There is a company in Bangkok which I think it's called Dukes motors or some such thing. I did check their prices and also ones from China. The Chinese ones do seem cheaper even with freight but you are at the mercy of the customs and also if you need spare parts they might not be available in Thailand. So I advise you to buy one here with a guarantee.

There are a lot of electric bikes for sale in Thailand. There is a company in Bangkok which I think it's called Dukes motors or some such thing. I did check their prices and also ones from China. The Chinese ones do seem cheaper even with freight but you are at the mercy of the customs and also if you need spare parts they might not be available in Thailand. So I advise you to buy one here with a guarantee.

Thanks for this gamini, but when I Google dukes motors bangkok I get only leads to a hamburger restaurant or a KTM motorcycle dealer. Any further tips as to the company's name?

Thanks and best.

Thanks for these helpful suggestions, impulse. I found the best selection here: http://ebikr.com/store/electric-bike-kit/

The Bafang is currently is not stock but some of their Golden Motors kits (hub motors) look interesting. The owner, Chana, seems helpful.

Good luck with your recumbent!

Thanks for these helpful suggestions, impulse. I found the best selection here: http://ebikr.com/store/electric-bike-kit/

The Bafang is currently is not stock but some of their Golden Motors kits (hub motors) look interesting. The owner, Chana, seems helpful.

Thanks for the source,and for the encouragement.

Do they post pricing on their website? I didn't notice any, but Google translate was having a hard time on my internet connection today.

Thanks for the source,and for the encouragement.

Do they post pricing on their website? I didn't notice any, but Google translate was having a hard time on my internet connection today.

No pricing on website, but they were responsive, as was servovision, which you suggested. I also found e bikes Chiang Rai on Facebook, which could be interesting if you're in the North.

If you do retrofit your existing MTB, get at least a 1000 watt motor capable of at least 48 volts... Lots of kits online that include batteries... You will be disappointed with anything less...

If you do retrofit your existing MTB, get at least a 1000 watt motor capable of at least 48 volts... Lots of kits online that include batteries... You will be disappointed with anything less...

Problem with 1000 watts and 48 volts is the amperage, which will exceed the battery's rating- generally 10 amps for the type of batteries used in e-bikes. (Watts / Volts = Amps)

That can cause the battery to overheat and reduce miles per charge and battery life. Of course, just because you have 1000 watts on tap doesn't mean you have to use it...

I have had 450 watt, 350 watt and 250 watt e-bikes in China and Thailand. The 450 watt was a 48V e-scooter and it had plenty of pep, (though none of them was a screamer). The 350 watt (20" folding bicycle) was 36 volt and it got around fine. My current 250 watt, 36 V (LA 24" Ebike) is okay for getting around, but I'd prefer 350 or 450 watts to pull away from intersections here in Bangkok.

I've never owned a higher power ebike, so I can't speak to the benefits of going bigger (and perhaps only using the extra power for bursts of acceleration) I'd like to try it.

BTW, none of the 5 ebikes I've had would make a decent trail bike under electric power. Not enough oomph for going up and down, and accelerating and decelerating. But great for straight and level.

My plan was to use the motor to make long climbs more feasible and turn it off on the flat stretches, but I've learned that hub motors have a lot of drag when not in use. Maybe using the lowest level of pedal assist on the flats is a better idea. Does anyone know if the mid drive motors also have drag when not in use? Less than hub motors?

Thanks!