Australian woman, jailed over Facebook post, deported from Abu Dhabi

webfact

Australian Jodi Magi, jailed over Facebook post, deported from Abu Dhabi
Josephine Tovey

SYDNEY: -- An Australian woman arrested and jailed in Abu Dhabi after posting an image to Facebook has been deported from the country and says she is heartbroken at the treatment of other women by the Gulf state's justice system.

Ms Magi had been found guilty and told she would be deported and needed to pay a fine. When she arrived in court over the weekend to pay the fine she was detained, jailed and not told how long she would be held in detention.

Ms Magi wrote on Facebook early on Wednesday morning (AEST) that she was taken to the airport late on Tuesday and flown out of the country.

"After 53 hours in custody, having been shackled at the ankles, strip-searched, blood tested, forced to sleep on a concrete floor without a mattress or pillow and having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils, I can happily say I AM SAFE & OUT OF JAIL AND ABU DHABI!" she wrote.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-jodi-magi-jailed-over-facebook-post-deported-from-abu-dhabi-20150714-gice7j.html

smh.jpg
-- Sydney Morning Herald 2015-07-15

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If she doesn't like the Arab way of life, why did she go to Abu Dhabi? Why is she complaining about having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils? Arabs wipe their buttocks with the left hand and eat with the right hand. This is why thieves have their right hands cut off.

If she doesn't like the Arab way of life, why did she go to Abu Dhabi? Why is she complaining about having no access to toilet paper or eating utensils? Arabs wipe their buttocks with the left hand and eat with the right hand. This is why thieves have their right hands cut off.

She took a picture of someone parking over two disabled car spots.

What's that got to do with which hand you wipe your arse with?

Edited by samran

Several middle eastern countries and their people, have some of the thinnest skin and apparently some of the lowest self-esteem, of anyone on the planet. The number of things that they forbid is a mile long. A society without joy is no society at all, in my book. You can't drive. You can't listen to music. Have fun? Forget about it. Criticize us? We can't handle it. We are not real men. We are half men. We cannot take anyone saying anything bad about us. And put in jail without the most basic of comforts? That is 13th century barbarism. Shame on these super freaks. And I am a tolerant man. But, some lines should not be crossed. They should know better. I would expect something like this from the Saudis. But the Emirates?

Edited by spidermike007

I think you'll find that if it happened in Thailand in particular, or any non-Muslim country in general, the outrage would be on the other foot, so to speak, and the country would be condemned. But since it is Muslim, it's the victim's fault.

Seems a bit strong for taking a photo of a parking offence. If you have ever been to this place you will know everyone has no care where they park. So I don't get what the big deal is.

I doubt they would have reacted to a photo of a car parked across two disabled spots and the reg plate blurred out unless she made some derogatory comment about Arabs in the process.

Smacks to me of the poor Australian "mother" (drunk) who stole the beer mat, abused and insulted the police and got banged up in Phuket.

It's never their fault.

Edited by Chicog

I doubt they would have reacted to a photo of a car parked across two disabled spots and the reg plate blurred out unless she made some derogatory comment about Arabs in the process.

Smacks to me of the poor Australian "mother" (drunk) who stole the beer mat, abused and insulted the police and got banged up in Phuket.

It's never their fault.

The lady turned up at court to pay the $3K fine and then was arrested on the spot. Seems to me she was taking it on the chin and fronting up for the responsibility.

Several middle eastern countries and their people, have some of the thinnest skin and apparently some of the lowest self-esteem, of anyone on the planet. The number of things that they forbid is a mile long. A society without joy is no society at all, in my book. You can't drive. You can't listen to music. Have fun? Forget about it. Criticize us? We can't handle it. We are not real men. We are half men. We cannot take anyone saying anything bad about us. And put in jail without the most basic of comforts? That is 13th century barbarism. Shame on these super freaks. And I am a tolerant man. But, some lines should not be crossed. They should know better. I would expect something like this from the Saudis. But the Emirates?

My friend's gf just finished working in Dubai. She was treated like a civilized country would call slavery. $40 a week, 16-20 hours a day, 7 days a week and with that money she had to buy food once every two weeks if they let her or live on white bread. Last month she was deafly ill for a short while and they would not let her go to the hospital and insisted she cook for the family. Why western countries support countries like this who have no regard for anyone but themselves is beyond me. They even held her passport as security. If UAE is supposed to be one of the more liberal countries in that region, then good luck with the rest.

Edited by steve654

It's never their fault.

The lady turned up at court to pay the $3K fine and then was arrested on the spot. Seems to me she was taking it on the chin and fronting up for the responsibility.

She obviously didn't think it was that serious.

Probably the picture posted, maybe even without a comment, was of some illegally-parked big shot's car.

Maybe it was the chief of the Abu Dubai prison system?

Seriously, all it would probably have to be is a female posting something that could be considered derogatory about a male (or anyone else?).

What kind of internet activity monitoring is going on in that place? Anyone?

Edited by MaxYakov

My friend's gf just finished working in Dubai. She was treated like a civilized country would call slavery. $40 a week, 16-20 hours a day, 7 days a week and with that money she had to buy food once every two weeks if they let her or live on white bread. Last month she was deafly ill for a short while and they would not let her go to the hospital and insisted she cook for the family. Why western countries support countries like this who have no regard for anyone but themselves is beyond me. They even held her passport as security. If UAE is supposed to be one of the more liberal countries in that region, then good luck with the rest.

I see the exact same happening here with cambodians, burmeese and laotian...

When was the last time you saw one locked up for a very mild post online? Really?

Probably the picture posted, maybe even without a comment, was of some illegally-parked big shot's car.

Maybe it was the chief of the Abu Dubai prison system?

Seriously, all it would probably have to be is a female posting something that could be considered derogatory about a male (or anyone else?).

What kind of internet activity monitoring is going on in that place? Anyone?

It's just a given that every phone call, email, text, internet activity, etc. is monitored (or can be).

....................."If she doesn't like the Arab way of life, why did she go to Abu Dhabi?"........................

For the same reason so many foreigners go to live in Thailand and spend the rest of their lives bagging the place on internet forums. (Only joking, Gk) biggrin.png

She had been working there since 2012 and probably had no issues with toilet paper, eating utensils, being strip searched or being forced to sleep on a concrete floor until she was locked up when she went in to pay the fine.

Edited by mikemac

If you don't respect the rules and ways of the country why the flippen hell go there !

Why do you have to respect the laws. Obey them yes, but respect them?

I doubt most would be aware that it was a deportable offence to post a pic of a car in a disabled spot.

Are you aware of all the laws in your country?

It's never their fault.

Keep digging fella.

If you don't respect the rules and ways of the country why the flippen hell go there !

Why do you have to respect the laws. Obey them yes, but respect them?

I doubt most would be aware that it was a deportable offence to post a pic of a car in a disabled spot.

Are you aware of all the laws in your country?

I doubt that was the offence.

It's never their fault.

Keep digging fella.

Digging what? I live here. What do you know that I don't?

Same thing happens to South Asians (Indians, Bangladeshis, etc). They get treated like crap in Middle East too. Many deaths.

samran, this quite legitimate question should be addressed to Arabs of Abu Dhabi.

geriatrickid, did you post this same question on Facebook for the silly Australian woman to answer?

OK here's how it works:

ABU DHABI: An Australian woman was deported from the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday after being arrested and fined for “insulting” social media posts, according to a judicial source in Abu Dhabi.

Jodi Magi, 39, appeared in an Abu Dhabi court and was taken into custody on July 12 before being placed on a flight to Bangkok — her “destination of choice” — on Tuesday evening, the same source said.

The trouble began in February, when she posted on her Facebook page a photo of a car illegally parked between two places reserved for disabled drivers near her apartment in Abu Dhabi.

The picture was accompanied by “insulting, degrading remarks”, said the source.

It was a European's car that she photographed, but my guess is that she slagged off the Arabs.

By the way, she was deported to Bangkok, so keep an eye out.

Maybe she can shed some light on why she didn't just leave when they delicately hinted she should.

They quite often give people an out before sentencing them, just to get rid.

The car parked across the disabled parking spaces may have belonged to a powerful sheikh or government official.

She did the right thing. She pointed out a violation of the law. That's what it means to respect the law.

Laws must be applied equally to all. I seriously doubt it was here.

People who keep visiting these retarded countries still amaze me !

Even for free in a 5stars hotels I would never visit any Muslim country and I am proud of my smart choice !

Why?

The money's pretty good for long term, as for visiting........people like to tick boxes!

What about Malaysia/ Oman/ Brunei? Wonderful places to visit, don't limit yourself!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So back on topic, it's not really clear why she was arrested or how it was discovered...........if she had made a post (without diligent privacy settings) that went moderately 'viral' and it contained a picture of a car with registration plate, then maybe the owner got wind of it somehow?

Facebook proving again how it's becoming more worthless, with people feeling the need to become amateur journalists in their spare time and getting into trouble for it.

Arabs wipe their buttocks with the left hand and eat with the right hand. This is why thieves have their right hands cut off.

No they dont. They use the left hand to wash their buttocks with water and then wash both their hands with soap. Far more hygenic than wiping with paper and then disposing it in a trash can beside you which is already full and overflowing as in some public toilets in western countries.