fiber on a high condo floor

jtbobway

I live on a 13th floor in pattaya of an older building. The building seems to have lots of trouble with the copper and coax wiring. I would like to switch to fiber from TOT. I know that TOT and 3BB dont want to do fiber to any floor above the 3rd floor. Why is this? Is this becasue the fiber cable cannot handle the load of hanging up 60m? My building has cabling shafts that I have easy access to. I was thinking that I could just tie off of the fiber cable at each floor, this way the hanging load on the fiber cable is limited to 4-5 meters per tie off. Anyone have expereince with this? I know I must clear this with the building first, and yes they will want money. That is not my question, I am in fact looking for feedback from someone who understands the technical limitations of the fiber cable. I am guessing the light doesnt have any problem to travel up 13 floors :-) Thanks!

Fiber Cables are supported by a steel cable that runs with the fiber part, only the last segment that goes into router, the steel part is removed, so there should be plenty of support. The providers use private contractors, who mostly do a horrible and lazy job to run cables. I always stay with them, arrange conduits or tools or even dig out ditches, where needed to run underground. I insist the provider sends the contractor to check location first and I have succeeded with extra pay of a few thousand Baht cash to run it into condos 4 or 5 fl. up / they told me 1 fl. possible only and i paid extra underground in 100 m long conduits. These cables are actually quite tough, remember one case where 2 guys pulled them through the long conduit with major efforts. No damage done. Full signal when we tested. Good luck. However lately TOT & 3BB disappoint with mediocre speed on several of my accounts. MS>

Edited by moonseeker

Quite often the issue is with the condos themselves... most have pre run internal cables which providers hook onto and running new cables is often against rules.

Plus fibre is pricy compared to copper and by the time you go from the street master modem, through the designated building entry point and up 13 floors you have a long length that you would typically need to pay extra for.

No problem running fibre to higher floors in my building. An installation charge of about 3000B applies.

True also wont do anything higher than 3rd floor but it has nothing to do with any technical restriction as all the cabling in a condo is done through conduits/false ceilings from the inside.

I think that these companies just apply blanket rules without understanding or wanting to understand, which I suppose is common enough here.

I had to negoiate with an engineer from 3BB to get cable installed in my condo after being told by each company that 'no condo can have cable' without any explanation as to why this was the case.

I got the contact at the 3BB shop in Big C in Klang but the 3BB one in Tescos on the Suk gave me a straight "NO"

Right now I have a download speed of 37.56 & upload of 11.57 with a ping of 7ms.

I had to get a letter from the condo to allow me to change providers from TOT to 3BB.

I did not tell them that I was installing cable just that I wanted to change & that was enough