3BB and Router Security

Rasseru

Looking to change my ISP, today I visited a 3BB sales office. After confirming that they would let me use my own modem-router if I wished, and being told that they would set the user name and password, based on their lists of same, I suggested that of course I would be able after that to change the password to one of my own. Absolutely not, I was told. I was stunned, as in my research into router security issues I have read over and over that it is critical to change, immediately, at least the password (and good to change, if possible, the adminstrator name too).

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge they can about this issue, particularly concerning 3BB, but beyond that to other ISPs in Thailand?

I believe they're referring to the password that's used to login to 3BB when your router connects to their service using PPPoE, that requires a preset username and password which 3BB need to know as it's how you authenticate to their service.

You can of course change any other admin passwords on the device itself.

Thank you, ukrules. I wish I could understand whether what they are saying cannot be changed is the same or different from what the security boffins say absolutely needs to be changed.

You should change the admin login details accessible via http://192.168.1.1 which is normally in my experience set to username 'admin' and password '3bb'

They won't know or care about what you set this to but it's what allows others to meddle with your network so it should be changed.

YES, make sure you change the webconfig password !!!

We're starting to have reports of people who've found their CPE Router's Primary DNS server setting has been modified/edited to use and unknown DNS Server out of Singapore.

This could allow the DNS Server operator to log/watch what connections you're requesting (via DNS lookup/resolve function) and even redirect connections to rogue servers at will.

So far my test router has been edited TWICE. Once using the default TOT Password applied at provisioning, and a second time using an alternate default TOT Password. No changes recorded so far using a user-created password.

Two different IP addresses have been supplied in the edits.

128.199.201.187 Digital Ocean AS AP

188.42.254.62 SERVER.LU - Singapore Branch Webzilla Singapore Pte Ltd