Samsung closes hard-disk-motor plant in Korat, lays off 1,400

webfact

So you are saying that Samsung which is a Korean company and is no longer in the business of motor driven hard drives are closing down and it is the fault of THIS government and country for not moving with the times.

Now I would have thought that the company who actually manufactures those hard drives which are no longer used made that business decision and NOT Thailand which is merely where they were built and very profitably for a few years.

Samsungs business decision NOT to retool and produce SSDs would have been because they are getting out of that side of the business and for NO other reason and nothing to do with Thailand.

I doubt it's that simple, Samsung have been moving manufacturing to Vietnam because it's better for business than where they are. China has lost out, now Thailand is losing out, but they should have seen it coming. The next 10 years in mainland SE Asia is likely to be all about Vietnam, and that includes tourism. First it was TV's, now it's HDD motors packing their bags and leaving.

Unless of course you are suggesting that TV's are no longer used so that isn't Thailand's fault either? That might not fly.

As for HDD not being used now, imho that's nonsense, most of the 'cloud' (in reality just another network) is still run on spinning disk drives, and SSD's are still too expensive per GB to represent a threat to HDD's for bulk storage for another few years.

Samsung left because it believes VN is a better place to do business than TL, I doubt it's any more complicated than that.

TL is systematically pricing itself out of the market and has shown it's not a stable enough country to attract inward investment on the scale it used to do when it had a democratically-elected government. If that were not the case, the Thai economy and investmnent climate would not be taking the kicks it's currently being given. In that sense, this loss of confidence in TL of the world at large is directly Prayuth's fault - or whoever ordered him to oust a democratically elected government for the 19th time in TL

We haven't seen the worst consequences of that yet, and I suspect the eventual payback will be so awful for the ringleaders, their collaborators and the instigators that this will be the last coup d'etat TL will see. Or perhaps the second last.

Edited by Down the rabbit hole

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The global downturn has certainly impacted Thailand and this is another blow for its citizens.

The Junta have done a wonderful job in guiding the economy through it, but unfortunately it cannot shield the country from outside market forces.

Lets hope the economy rebounds soon.

The Junta failed completely in all economic aspects with export and consumption slump.

They have no idea on how guiding the economy , and this has nothing todo with outside market forces.

How successful you have ever been Djjamie ?? I bet you don't have a clue about economics !

Lets hope Thailand become a democracy soon, so we can all clime up again against the down spiral the Junta caused !

The Junta failed completely in all economic aspects with export and consumption slump.

They have no idea on how guiding the economy , and this has nothing todo with outside market forces.

How successful you have ever been Djjamie ?? I bet you don't have a clue about economics !

Lets hope Thailand become a democracy soon, so we can all clime up again against the down spiral the Junta caused !

Lets hope indeed. Worldwide slowdown my ass, that's for consumption of Thais to save face for Prayuth.

I fail to see how the following is the fault of foreign countries:

* Tourists: see also air safety, USA and EU getting ready to say Thai aircraft are not welcome.

* FIshing: EU getting ready to say they don't want Thai products.

* TIP: Nobody seems to think USA will find TL actions adequate. The Govt thinks it will fail again but that there won't be sanctions. I think the USA will do almost anything to hasten the demise of Prayuth, Oh mouth, why have you grown so big? Oh brain, why have you grown so empty? It seems he's better at writing bad songs, throwing banana skins at professional people and digging latrines than he is at managing a country and a now-failing economy. As it continues to slide, wait for the crime rate to go sky high, it's begun already.

* Investment. TL is haemorrhaging investment, money is leaving TL as fast as its little legs will carry it. VN welcoming at least some of it. get out while you can is the cry.

* Water: The archangel of TL packed up and went. Drought now, to be followed in Autumn by floods. The govt can't do a thing about it except a rain-dance or two and a few muttered incantations. See also a building farmer rebellion and wait for the first soldiers to have the bejasus kicked out of them for confiscating farmers water pumps..

* Democracy. Anyone who thinks Prayuth is going somewhere is (I think) a sandwich short of a full picnic. He'll leave when they drag him out kicking and screaming to face a firing squad for treason while serving in the Thai people's army. That the Thai people pay for.

Just not up to the job is all.

and so on...

Entertaining really, you couldn't make this stuff up. I watch with great interest and not a little amusement.

The global downturn has certainly impacted Thailand and this is another blow for its citizens.

The Junta have done a wonderful job in guiding the economy through it, but unfortunately it cannot shield the country from outside market forces.

Terribly sorry my friend, but facts have proven you wrong.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/indicators

Admittedly exports have greatly reduced according to the facts I present in the link and facts cannot be denied so that cannot be debated. I agree. Export are down. Facts show that. No argument there.

That can be related to global economic conditions though. Look at Australian unemployment, exports, growth rate and inflation...Had Prayuit been the PM in Australia you would be all over that like white on rice...

And after the failed rice policy of the last govt there is plenty of white on that rice in the warehouses rotting away.

Have a great evening my friend and remember facts over ride beliefs.

Terribly sorry my friend, but facts have proven you wrong.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/indicators

Admittedly exports have greatly reduced according to the facts I present in the link and facts cannot be denied so that cannot be debated. I agree. Export are down. Facts show that. No argument there.

That can be related to global economic conditions though. Look at Australian unemployment, exports, growth rate and inflation...Had Prayuit been the PM in Australia you would be all over that like white on rice...

And after the failed rice policy of the last govt there is plenty of white on that rice in the warehouses rotting away.

Have a great evening my friend and remember facts over ride beliefs.

I didn't even need to say the above..

I could have just given you this link..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/841294-samsung-closes-hard-disk-motor-plant-in-korat-lays-off-1400/?p=9631473

This was the root course of the argument.

FACTS - The PTP's greatest enemy. Excuses (which we will no doubt see from you) their greatest friend.

SSD's are already here. Old HD's belong in the museum and with them, the production plants. No manual work needed when bonding memory chips to PCB's.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Thailand.

I wish I were as wealthy as you so that I could replace all my museum pieces (HDDs) with very expensive SSDs.

BTW, let me know when I can buy a 5TB SSD for $125.

Edited by rametindallas

"Admittedly exports have greatly reduced according to the facts I present in the link and facts cannot be denied so that cannot be debated. I agree. Export are down. Facts show that. No argument there.

Have a great evening my friend and remember facts over ride beliefs."

Odd how its always someone elses fauly isn't it. I read where some fool blamed it on Greece. He was a Thai of course.

Global economic conditions my ass. check the exzchange rates...

Dear oh dear. None so blind as those who will not see. None so daft as those who have learned not to think for themselves. None so ridiculous as those who do see their own prejudices and wuishful thinking. God bless them for they are the delusionsal and its not really their fault.

"Admittedly exports have greatly reduced according to the facts I present in the link and facts cannot be denied so that cannot be debated. I agree. Export are down. Facts show that. No argument there.

Odd how its always someone elses fauly isn't it. I read where some fool blamed it on Greece. He was a Thai of course.

Dear oh dear. None so blind as those who will not see. None so daft as those who have learned not to think for themselves. None so ridiculous as those who do see their own prejudices and wuishful thinking. God bless them for they are the delusionsal and its not really their fault.

Yet I have provided undeniable facts through the link and you keep providing beliefs.

Have a lovely evening my friend.

Yet I have provided undeniable facts through the link and you keep providing beliefs.

Have a lovely evening my friend.

Anyway, back on subject so as not to degrees.

http://www.thaivisa....1400/?p=9631473

I was right. AGAIN!!!

"

Anyway, back on subject so as not to degrees.

http://www.thaivisa....1400/?p=9631473

I was right. AGAIN!!!"

I wasn't going to respond but then you go and provide a link to one of your own posts and claim it is evidence in support of your somewhat eccentric world-view, so my usual determination not to engage in pointless conversation was not what it should have been. I recall the sage advice not to wrestle with pigs, because I would get dirty and it just annoys the pig.

Anyway, I don't think we will agree so we'll likely just have to await events and then we will seee whether you were right or not to put your faith in what bears a striking resemblance to a bunch of fascist thugs.

Bon chance, I won't be reading much less replying to any more of your posts and I strongly suspect I am not alone in that. Have a nice day and a beer on me.

Fabio is back ! whistling.gif

Dear, oh, dear!

None so blind as those who will not see my Thaksinista point of view

None so daft as those who have learned not to think for themselves but should be rather like me and get all my talking points from the Little Red Shirt Schoolbook

None so ridiculous as those who do see their own prejudices and wuishful thinking just like me

God bless them Down the rabbit hole for they are he is the delusionsal propagandist and its not really their fault it really is his choice to be one.

Hypocritical, much, Down the rabbit hole?

@ikke Have YOU ever been a successful corporate business consultant advising companies like Samsung on which countries to invest in and what they should manufacture?

Do you have any idea about international economics, are YOU far sighted enough to be able to spot the next trend in computers and electronics 5 years into the future?

Do international companies flock to you begging for information?

If you can answer yes to any of those questions why are you posting crap on Thai visa? You should be a $, £ or Euro millionaire by now.

Samsung (and everyone else) are leaving (to start new plants in Vietnam) due to fears of civil unrest following the military overthrow of democracy.

Nothing to do with global economic downturn.

Nothing to do with military what a stupid statement, it's the economy stupid, rising wages, Greedy landlords and tea money .

Samsung (and everyone else) are leaving (to start new plants in Vietnam) due to fears of civil unrest following the military overthrow of democracy.

Nothing to do with global economic downturn.

Nothing to do with military what a stupid statement, it's the economy stupid, rising wages, Greedy landlords and tea money .

And your knowledge is better than that of other obseervers why?

<deleted>

uh, no. noone buys HD with motors in them any more. Samsung made a decision which is foreign to most Thais called "future financial prediction". Thainess only knows "financial manipulation".

THink carefully about the last time you bought a cluncky motorizes HD... the last time i bout one was right after wifi was "public" aka invented(slow applaud to Australian patient trolls) 2009. Thats right monkeys, SSD is here. so.... honestly the plant management should have seen this one a mile away. Why didnt he think about upgrading his equipment?.This isnt something you just pour concrete on. Blame him for not thinking.... ahead.

Plus... THainess is currently quite harsh on many korean companies recently. THere are many great thai public servants out there doing a great job. but the bad guys, The hidden mob hidding in the government, seems to be singling out companies with unusual fines. Wouldnt it be fun if someone finds out why?