If You Are Planning A Trip To Thailand Now

ThaiPauly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After todays Coup?

Especially if your holiday was mainly focused on Bangkok?

My tickets arrived this morning and my first week of a months stay is in Bangkok where I am due to meet a certain female.

I don't travel for another couple of weeks and have no plans to cancel.

Hoping that it will remain a bloodless coup and things will have calmed down by that time.

I predict it will be business as usual for all us tourists. I'm coming next week and have no intention of changing my plans. Not a bit of worry on my part over the situation.

If it can remain bloodless your probably right. The handful of friends I have spoken with are fairly apathetic about the whole thing. They seem a little confused. Some are not happy some are saying about time but most seem to be saying they will just have to see what comes next. I have a trip planned and do not intend on canceling. If bullets start flying than that will change. I can wait for things to settle. I hope things do settle. The problem will be if Thaksin truly believes he is what is best for Thailand and that his being in power is required. He is a bit of an eglomaniac so it wouldn't surprise me if he still feels that way and chooses to act on that belief. Hopefully he just bows out now.

As I am due to arrive in BKK at the end of the month, I am concerned by this turn of events and would probably cancel my trip if there is any signs of violence. There are reports that the pro-Thaksin military forces may make a move against Sonthi... and put up a fight.

That's about the crux of it. I doubt the Thaksin supporting military units will do anything as he and his family are out of the country . . . looks like abandonment.

Will be in Thailand again on my weekly visits on Sunday - unless bullets start flying

The first time I came to Thailand, I had been in a very violent coup in the Philipines shortly before and was on my way here at an airport in Korea when they announced on CNN that there was a coup in Bangkok. I asked a couple of Thai gents if I should cancek my trip to Thailand.

They started laughing and said, "We do this all the time in Thailand, no problem"!

You know what? They were right. :o

I'm leaving in a few days and the only physical restraint will stop me from returning next month for another year in this wonderful if slightly unstable country. Looking at today's xrates I think my AUD is going to go a bit further as well.

The first time I came to Thailand, I had been in a very violent coup in the Philipines shortly before and was on my way here at an airport in Korea when they announced on CNN that there was a coup in Bangkok. I asked a couple of Thai gents if I should cancek my trip to Thailand.

They started laughing and said, "We do this all the time in Thailand, no problem"!

20-odd times in the last 70 years or so? Stability, thy name is . . . NOT Thailand

What kind of violence Ullysses?

Bombs, rifles, planes.

The usual. :D

My early seventy year old grandparents are due to arrive on 3 October. I've called them and told them under no circumstances to worry and cancel their trip. Business as usual in Thailand!

They may even get more value for their money if the baht drops!

Wanted to go on a business trip next week. I also planed to look for a house to rent rent and move to bkk with my family. But now, everythiing looks different. I will probably not go , and I am not sure if we will move there next year. Will have a company emergency meeting in an hour , and we probably put our whole 10 million $ thailand project on hold until further news.

My early seventy year old grandparents are due to arrive on 3 October. I've called them and told them under no circumstances to worry and cancel their trip. Business as usual in Thailand!

They may even get more value for their money if the baht drops!

If the Thai baht really drop I will lost half of my pant :o

Bombs, rifles, planes.

The usual. :D

Did somebody died? (The last time I checked, our 'coup de etats' back home [the Philippines] has always been known not to be violent!)

probably put our whole 10 million $ thailand project on hold until further news.

Probably a good idea, considering the difficulties and frustrations that you have already had already finding Ayutthaya / Hi-Tech Industrial Estate, and communication with Thai people / no Thai person to help with your ten million dollar Thailand project.

Wanted to go on a business trip next week. I also planed to look for a house to rent rent and move to bkk with my family. But now, everythiing looks different. I will probably not go , and I am not sure if we will move there next year. Will have a company emergency meeting in an hour , and we probably put our whole 10 million $ thailand project on hold until further news.

If you considering abandoning your project how about selling it for .10 cents on the dollars?

I know there are plenty of idiots on this board, what I am always surprised about is the level of stupidity and ignorance.

There was a military coup, Thailand is ruled by a moslem general now, the new illegal government has taken over power by military force and has declared martial law , that means the constitution or any other laws are not valid anymore.

You must be really smart business men to invest in thailand now .

What should I do...What should I do?

We have our house up for sale, and in the process of packing so we can move to thailand with the 20 foot container. Now the thai embassy in LA has all my original paper works for both of my personal and business for 2 weeks , and so far havn't heard any from them about my papers or non-O visa. I need those papers back because the thai labor dept is in the process of issuing me with "the working permit clearance"-no working permit needed in my case.

Should I be worry?.... or Should I take my home off the market for now and wait to see what happens next?....or Should I put off my current plan and go next year instead?

BF and I are flying to BKK this Friday. I don't think anything is going to change the plan *unless* the situation becomes unstable.

I don't think it's going to have much impact on tourism (yet), as I checked my flight minutes ago and it is still full. My favorite seat is occupied by someone else :o

I will be there 11-7 through 12 -6.

Unfortunaely Doc I will not be allowed to bring your vino as no liquids allowed even in stowed luggage.

Still like to meet though if possible. I'm sure we can find a taste of the Red that won't be too bad.

I bought a bottle of some Bordeaux, St. Emillion while on vacation in Hua Hin last year.

It was quite expensive and not as fresh as could be but it tasted quite good while sipping on the the beach at sunset.

Cheers,

Pepe

I know there are plenty of idiots on this board, what I am always surprised about is the level of stupidity and ignorance.

There was a military coup, Thailand is ruled by a moslem general now, the new illegal government has taken over power by military force and has declared martial law , that means the constitution or any other laws are not valid anymore.

You must be really smart business men to invest in thailand now .

Surely as someone who was looking to invest 10 million dollars here you must have known that investing in any developing country has its risks?

"that means the constitution or any other laws are not valid anymore."

Seriously as someone with 10 million dollars to invest, you really believe that all the laws regarding everything have just been revoked?

Thailands a very new democracy, I personally don't see any difference in the risks involved here now than 2 or 3 days ago, The fact the general is a Muslim has nothing to do with the situation - if that's how your mind works I'm pretty sure Thailand probably wasn't the place to invest your 10 million dollars, or to relocate to.