Thai wine. Where is the good stuff?

Spaniel

About a year and a half ago I asked this same question as I was going to the USA for a visit and I thought for something different I would take a couple of bottles of Thai wine as a gift. All the replies back then were negative so I passed on the wine. Maybe the wine situation has improved since then. If their is one, can anyone recommend a decent Thai wine and where I can purchase it?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have treid and tried to find a wine over here, but found nothing but gut rot. I cant understand why! they have wonderful, weather mountains, and also seem to grow a fantastic amount of grapes

I really know nothing about making wine,or the grape required, but have visited vinyards all over France Italy and Germany,and love good wine.

Come on Thailand Get your Fingers Out ( a Prince Philip Quote )

I have treid and tried to find a wine over here, but found nothing but gut rot. I cant understand why! they have wonderful, weather mountains, and also seem to grow a fantastic amount of grapes

I really know nothing about making wine,or the grape required, but have visited vinyards all over France Italy and Germany,and love good wine.

Typo= Tried

Certainly limited knowledge about wine...

Wonderful weather? Too humid,too wet in rain season not much temperature difference between night and day.

Furthermore any business have to be learned though give them time...

To the OP:try monsoon valley vineyard nearby Hua Hin ...ain't bad and German cellar master...

Wonderful weather? Too humid,too wet in rain season not much temperature difference between night and day.

To the OP:try monsoon valley vineyard nearby Hua Hin ...ain't bad and German cellar master...

As I said I know nothing about making wine. I <deleted> love this type of poster.

Anyone who tries to make you believe that he knows all about wines is obviosly a fake

PS You seem to of got it all wrong!! one min you say its too wet and humid,Then you say they make good wine in Hua Hin made by a German

SO what are you trying to say? German wine is as far as I am concerned mostly gut rot anyway. Cant compare with French etc

Tried a few of their wines at a Thai food festival in Europe where they had a display.

They were ok and drinkable, as you say.

Lots of experts here....

First, there are some amazing white wines in Germany. Ever had a glass of Riesling??

Second, even Thailand has some great wines. The 2 I personally know and like are PB Valley from Khao Yai and the one from Village Farm in Wang Nam Kiaw.

PB has 3 different reds in 3 price classes. I would avoid the cheapest called Sawasdee and go for the middle (around 800baht) and the premium. You can find them at Italasia and Wine Connection. They're actually so good that I feel confident to give a bottle to my friend who's an expert wine maker in Italy.

Village Farm also makes a nice dry and full bodied red.

So, don't believe the haters. They probably choose bottom shelf bottles and then complain about the taste.

Not surprisingly, you are getting comments from those posters that would not know a good wine, how wine is made, what can or cannot be added, growing methods, or climate zones. As an expert in wine, I can tell you that the Shiraz from SilverLake Winery in Pattaya, (8 miles south), is an excellent wine to share with your friends at home. They also do a very nice Chenin Blanc. I would not buy their Cabernet Sauvignon. Enjoy!

PS You seem to of got it all wrong!! one min you say its too wet and humid,Then you say they make good wine in Hua Hin made by a German

SO what are you trying to say? German wine is as far as I am concerned mostly gut rot anyway. Cant compare with French etc

I believe that you generalize way too much.... For me french red wine is superior german red wine.... But when it comes to the white wine, the germans they do make REALLY great wine, REALLY great!!!! So they know their stuff too..

Glegolo

I went on a tour around GranMonte Asoke Valley vineyard. A trip well worth the effort, you can have a reasaonable lunch, sample the wines and meet the family who set the whole thing up- very pleasant people.

The wines are excellent , but not cheap. The crazy thing is that you have to pay the same ( import ) tax on home grown wines - why not promote Thai products.

All quite hi-tec with remote stations that monitor weather , soil moisture levels etc throughout the vineyard.

So look out for GranMonte- a range called Spring is the entry level, then heritage Syrah etc. They have an excellent Rose and a dessert late harvest wine.

My local Family Mart stocks Spring and Tops stock a range. The production is quite small, so limited availability.

thais wines are undrinkable, one would think the improved vinegar.

The only one that would be about right, the pink Monsoon Valley and very very fresh. But very expensive for average, 800 baht.

Wine Loei tastes like sour wine, 800 B too.burp.gif

grapes grown under natural conditions are used for making wine unfortunately grapes grown in Thailand are grown in unnatural conditions water fed so you don't get a natural taste in fact you get very little taste .

You guys talk about grapes..........But that is sooo hard to even find here among thai wines... Are there really any thai wines based on grapes????? 99,9% of them is fruit wines and they mostly taste like shit, and after 1-2 glass you are so full of it....

Glegolo

Lots of experts here....

First, there are some amazing white wines in Germany. Ever had a glass of Riesling??

Second, even Thailand has some great wines. The 2 I personally know and like are PB Valley from Khao Yai and the one from Village Farm in Wang Nam Kiaw.

PB has 3 different reds in 3 price classes. I would avoid the cheapest called Sawasdee and go for the middle (around 800baht) and the premium. You can find them at Italasia and Wine Connection. They're actually so good that I feel confident to give a bottle to my friend who's an expert wine maker in Italy.

Village Farm also makes a nice dry and full bodied red.

So, don't believe the haters. They probably choose bottom shelf bottles and then complain about the taste.

Ah, beware the bottom shelf drinkers.

I have never found a good Thai wine. I tried a Cab. Sauv. from a selection of reds from a maker that goes by the name of Black Horse ( I think it was Black Horse ) It was a bit like Cab.Sauv. but not as we know it and it was 600B. I now get my wine in a box from Makro.

It is sad to see that the perception of Thai Wine; I mean real wine produced from wine grapes grown and produced in Thailand is so bad. Since many years several Thai Wineries produce red, rose and white wines which have received international recognition from institutions like Decanter Magazine, AWC Vienna which is the largest yearly blind wine tasting in the world and others. Obviously there are restriction because of the climate thus not all kinds of grapes can be grown in Thailand but wines produced from local grown Syrah/Shiraz, Tempranillo, Chenin Blanc, Colombard grapes are excellent and have received Bronze, Silver and Gold Medals from aforementioned institutions.

The biggest hindrance of making Thai wine more successful on the local market is the taxation as local produced wines are taxed the same way as imported wines and are more expensive than cheap wines from Chile, Italy, Spain etc. Come to visit and have a tour of the wineries in Khao Yai and Hua Hin taste the wine and I'm sure you will be converted - cheers

Absolutely right.

And great suggestion about visiting the wineries. The 2 I mentioned earlier (PB Valley and Village Farm) are beautiful and relaxing places and they have great wines and food.

If you know others, I would be happy to know!

I did ask a Professor of Agricultural Science at Chiang Mai University why Thai wine was not palatable. His response was the climate and soils are unsuitable.

I have worked in a wine laboratory in Australia. While I'm no expert, the technology is extremely complex, with a large range of fining agents and enzymes being used by winemakers to produce drinkable wine. That's in addition to the wild yeasts on the skins which kick off fermentation.

Smoke taint is a major issue. It only takes about 40 parts per billion of certain smoke contaminants (guaiacols) to render a wine undrinkable, and we all know there is a smoke season in Thailand.

While there must be some regions of Thailand which can grow decent grapes, I suspect the Thai industry doesn't have the technologies or knowledge available as yet to control flavour production. So any Thai wine that is drinkable is probably a fortunate accident.