Bank Of Thailand Governor Reportedly Accepted To Become The Prime Minister

Thaising

Also from The Nation today:

Supachai approached for interim PM's post

Unctad boss set for talks with CDRM; Admin Court chief Ackaratorn also in the running

The search for an interim prime minister has extended across the globe, with Dr Supachai Panitch-pakdi, secretary-general of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, emerging yesterday as a top candidate alongside Supreme Administrative Court president Ackaratorn Chularat, highly placed sources said.

Earlier reports yesterday said the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM) had decided on Ackara-torn and that the appointment could come as early as today. But it was reported later that he had asked for time to think about the offer.

Ackaratorn refused to say yesterday whether he was ready to become premier, noting that he already had his hands full with his current job.

"I have no idea. My hands are full. If they have [asked], I would have said so,'' he said.

Asked if he would accept the top job if asked to, he replied: "I am carrying out my duty. One has his own duty."

The sources said if Supachai agreed to take the post, he would become the first choice. One source said Supachai's wife had confirmed that the CDRM had asked Supachai to take up the premiership.

The CDRM launched a successful, bloodless military coup on Tuesday night to overthrow the Thaksin government.

The source said Supachai, a former director-general of the World Trade Organisation, is scheduled to fly to Bangkok soon to discuss the offer with members of the CDRM, led by General Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

Over the past two days, speculation has been running wild in the local media about possible candidates to take over as Thailand's next prime minister. The names include MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, the Bank of Thailand governor, and Ackaratorn.

Sonthi has promised that a new civilian government would be up and running within two weeks. At that point he and the CDRM would step into the background to allow democratic reform to proceed.

At least two of Supachai's close friends have confirmed reports that there had been talk of appointing Supachai, who is well-respected in the international arena, as prime minister.

One of his friends said: "Yes, he is one of the candidates."

Another friend asked: "How come the news has spread so fast?"

Supachai was not available for comment. His friends said he was travelling outside Geneva, where Untac has its headquarters.

Supachai's credentials make him a strong candidate because he has an international reputation that would lift the country's standing during this time of political transition. And his economic background should see him well accepted by local business circles.

Supachai was previously a deputy prime minister under the Democrat Party, but is now seen as a neutral figure. He has not worked for the Democrat Party since his appointment to the WTO.

Bank of Thailand Governor Pridiyathorn has also been at the front of nominations for the next premiership. People in the business and financial communities have broadly welcomed news that Pridiyathorn might take the reins.

A source close to him said it was not certain whether Pridiyathorn would eventually get the job because it also appeared that he might be offered the finance portfolio.

Supreme Court President Charnchai Likhitjittha and Privy Councillor Palakorn Suwannarat are other candidates to be PM.

Supreme Court secretary-general Charan Pakdeethanakul said that if Charnchai were approached, it was likely that he would accept the proposal because a request from the CDRM was like a command from His Majesty the King.

Charnchai could not comment on the matter because he strictly observes protocol, he said. However, Charan said he believed Charnchai would be a suitable choice and could carry out its associated duties.

Other possible candidates to take up ministry portfolios include General Panthep Phuwanat-nurak as defence minister. The former Forth Army Region commander is close to Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda.

Former defence ministry permanent secretary General Ood Buangbon could become interior minister; while Piyasvasti Amranand, former secretary general of the National Energy Policy Office, may become energy minister; and Krirk-krai Jirapaet, former permanent secretary for commerce, could be commerce minister.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I agree to join Surayud's cabinet : Pridiyathorn

30015184-01.jpg

Long speculations on the political future of Central Bank Governor MR Pridiyathorn Devakul ended on Monday as he accepted an invitation to join the interim government of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

Pridiyathorn met with newly appointed Surayud Monday morning on the premier's first day in office at the Government House.

"I have met with Surayud who asked me to join his cabinet," he said, "I accepted the invitation but did not yet know what post he would be given to me."

"The post is up to Surayud," said Pridiyathorn.

Surayud, a former army commander in chief and privy counsellor to the king, was named Thailand's 24th prime minister on Sunday.

Earlier Pridiyathorn, who was the central bank's chief since 2001, was among top candidates to become the new prime minister after the military ousted Thaksin Shinawatra in last month. Now that Gen Surayud is named the premier, speculations continued that Pridiyathorn would possibly be appointed as the deputy premier and finance minister to oversee the economic policies.

Source: The Nation: 2 October 2006