Thailand's EC ready to implement electronic voting system

webfact

EC ready to implement electronic voting system

PNPOL580723001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 23 July 2015 (NNT) – The Election Commission of Thailand is now ready to implement an electronic voting system.

Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn said that the EC meeting on the election system development has already looked at the plan to adopt the electronic voting system that involves short-, medium- and long-term plans, in order to allow for the use of this new option for the upcoming public referendum of the draft Constitution.

According to Mr. Somchai, two prototype machines are now ready to be used at two polling stations of the Rajthevee district of Bangkok, where they will serve about 1,600 eligible voters.

Voters will have the opportunity to choose their preferred system while the EC will be able to test the electronic voting system in order to gain trust and demonstrate the potential of future polling stations, he said.

He went on to say that the meeting also discussed the idea of an election application for smartphones which can be developed to facilitate voters.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-23 footer_n.gif

An App? Seriously? Given how well built their websites are, that's just asking for problems.

I see however a further delay in the upcoming "early 2017" elections, as this system must be implemented first, and that's going to take a while, so they'll push them back another couple of years lol ...

When the system is chosen and implemented (same as the solution to Bangkok's floods and other areas in Thailand) corruption will have yet another venue into which thrust its ugly head. Then, when rigging is discovered it will be blamed on innocent "electronic glitches".

Or it may go down the path of trying to divine the intention of the voter (a la sour-grapes-Al-Gore in the heavily Democrat county of Palm Beach in Florida) and thus, adjudicate those questionable results to a chosen candidate of the Ammart or whoever is being favored by the "powers that be".

This will come to substitute the direct buying of votes, by all parties, that has been ongoing for eons in Thailand as it is integral part of its semi-feudal system of patronage and appointed officials. Same, same but now online.

Is there a difference?

Electronic vote?

because the EC want everybody to vote... ummmm I don\t think so... there are rural areas where there is scarce access to internet or computer...

But what I can smell is that some people might be interested in replicating or copy the Venezuelan's model. Just read about the last 15 years of venezuela election history... Electronic vote is eassly to manipulate and hence to change the population will!

For the sake of god, be more creative!!! someone already did this 15-20 years ago... People are already aware of this. Yes, still some people read news, and watch news on TV.

BTW, they opposed fiercely the policy "one student, one table", HOWEVER, they want to implement 'electronic vote" something that is going to be use once every 4 years ... and is going to be very expensive.... ummm ummmm this really smell fishy!!!

Edited by Homeropec

You may recall that Azerbajian's Central Election Commission released an app on October 9, 2013 showing the election results with their dictator the massive vote-getter. Unfortunately, October 10 was Election Day. Oops. C'mon, Dear Leader, get those election results ready -- but wait one day, ok?

My personal view is a twist on the old "no taxation without represenation" becoming "no vote without evidence of taxation paid".

That would sort a few people out...not only just in Thailand.

Oh my lord. And u reckon the sitting govt won't have the administrator password. I would believe this as an idea if it was run by an overseas firm via Facebook......

If you read the wiki about the Indian system. The units are hard coded, they are just collection devices.