What is this?

While out and about this lunchtime my friend and I noticed this contraption. Anyone know what it is? Photographed it from 2 angles in case it helps with identification. My friend is also helpfully pointing out the device in one of the pics. post-187692-0-51327800-1437650386_thumb.

post-187692-0-00413500-1437650486_thumb.

Well - my 4x4 club would say it's the remains of a Land Rover after one trip to the seashore and it would be hard to disagree...

But the square wood blocks would tend to suggest the remains of a car parked in Brooklyn NY or Oakland CA or New Jersey for too long, (Los Angeles doesn't leave you the wooden blocks).......

But this thing - hard to say - meant to be stationary - and the motorcycle rims hold a barrel or half of one in place....Possibly an umbrella holder in the circle?......Not much else if there is nothing moving a from the half wheels.....Looks like ash around the base under the half wheels....Not sure about the horizontal shock/dampener in the front.....

Maybe a prototype for building a better mouse trap......or bbq them.....

Edited by pgrahmm

Is that a sort-of trailer hitch on the sharp end? The threaded rod midway looks like it could accommodate one or a pair of wheels. If a guy has a particularly gordo g.f., he could strap her on and take her 'pai teeo' a few times around the block - behind his motocy.

I recon its a seed thrower.

Thrown by a tractor, it had a horizontal hopper, (with seed in) and at the end, (the round bit) there is the seed thrower, this 'seed thrower' spins....... Or a land mine layer.....

Edited by Tonto21

I recon its a seed thrower.

Towed by a tractor, it had a horizontal hopper, (with seed in) and at the end, (the round bit) there is the seed thrower, this 'seed thrower' spins....... Or a land mine layer.....

Just what we needed...another seed spitter on walking street....

Thanks for those suggestions. Of those seed spreader sounds best to us. We wondered if the cylindrical type thing in the background of one of my pictures might fit onto the contraption. post-187692-0-43197400-1438268755_thumb.

So we tried it out and found it was the wrong size.

post-187692-0-57910300-1438268860_thumb.

We reckon the contraption may have started life as some kind of seed spreader. But think it may have been modified later so it could be used as a mobile BBQ - possibly with one of those cut-off half oil drum type BBQs attached to the brackets. The brackets by the way appear to be a bicycle wheel cut in half and then fastened to the seed spreader.

We also turned the device on its side for further clues but found none.

post-187692-0-54747300-1438269123_thumb.

Don't think it was ever a seeder....The back wheel does't spin....Probably some kind of vendors cart somewhere in it's lifetime.....The cut half rims look to be a second life addition.....Maybe some kind of box was fitted first.....The keyway in the fixed rounded wheel section is for something stationery possibly a big umbrella for shade and vending display....Who can guess how many reincarnations it's gone through.....The axle is for smallish wheels/no springs with all the weight on top field work is impractical while vending would fit with no big tires in the way.....Made to be mobile at slow speeds.....The hitch looks like it's made for those 2 wheel dolly things.....No sign of wiring or license display - probably lived in a market = my guess.....