What's Life Like In Phuket.. Leaving Bangkok

ourmanflint

Tried using search today to no avail, I need a bit of help possible relocation to Phuket from Bangkok, what are the realistic rental costs for 1 bed and or 2 bed apartments, and which areas would you recommend I start with? I like a bit of nightlife, but I also like a bit of greenery.

Is it possible to walk everywhere in Phuket or would I need a bike??? Hate bikes but what are my options? I guess everything else will fall into place.

Cheers

:o

Tried using search today to no avail, I need a bit of help possible relocation to Phuket from Bangkok, what are the realistic rental costs for 1 bed and or 2 bed apartments, and which areas would you recommend I start with? I like a bit of nightlife, but I also like a bit of greenery.

Is it possible to walk everywhere in Phuket or would I need a bike??? Hate bikes but what are my options? I guess everything else will fall into place.

Cheers

:D

Phukets a great place to live it has everything you expect of Thailand in one island. And it has the beaches. Phuket island is bigger than it looks on the map and its hilly, you will need transport I think. for the nightlife then try to locate around Patong there are other places depends what you want? I take it from your post that you have not been to Phuket, if thats the case then I would suggest a visit. :o

Take a taxi to the airport, the driver will know where it is.

I never officially lived in Phuket but that rent figure looks a little low to me. I know Thais who are paying 5-6000 for a one-roomer. The nightlife IS indeed good and the gals are prettier than in Bangers. Get ready for the same touting you saw at Panthip. Sure the beaches are nice, beaches are always nice. Get the salesmen outa there and they'd be even better. Careful driving, the streets are narrow and you got suicidal Thais and drunk farang everywhere.

if you plan to live here you will need transport.

Public transport is hopeless and almost non-existent outside of the main areas. Even where it does exist it is limited to:

- motorcycle taxis: dangerous, can't transport very much

- beach buses: slow, uncomfortable and not that regular, dont run at night

- tuk tuks: rip-off, slow, uncomfortable, annoying and quite often dangerous, controlled by the "tuk tuk mafia" - scumbags of the highest order.

- airport "limousines" - ripoff, see tuk tuk mafia above.

- air-con bus: limited to Phuket Town and only run 2 routes.

If you plan to just hang around 1 area, such as Patong then a motorbike is fine. If you will be going all over the island, buy a car. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, I've seen some perfectly drivable suzuki jeeps or small mazda pickups going for around 50,000 baht. Repairs here are very cheap so you can keep an old banger going much longer than in the West.

I am living in Kathu, it's 5 minutes to Central, Tesco, BigC or Makro, but in a very quiet and green area:

Please have a look:My house

2bedrooms, livingroom, kitchen, air, ADSL line, UBC(1500.-Baht a month), hot water and a nice landlord plus a huge garden: 10000.-Baht a month.

Next to me is another house nearly the same but only 1 bedroom, they just moved out and I don't know if they have someone for this house(same landlord).

Just come down and drive around with a small bike to look in the small sois or ask one of the locals to find a place.

Good luck!

Gerd

I never officially lived in Phuket but that rent figure looks a little low to me. I know Thais who are paying 5-6000 for a one-roomer. The nightlife IS indeed good and the gals are prettier than in Bangers. Get ready for the same touting you saw at Panthip. Sure the beaches are nice, beaches are always nice. Get the salesmen outa there and they'd be even better. Careful driving, the streets are narrow and you got suicidal Thais and drunk farang everywhere.

so maybe the figures from people that actually live here are more accurate and up to date??

FYI you can get "one roomers" for just over 2000 baht per month, slightly better ones with aircon for 3000 month, single apartment size houses for 6000 a month. Of course you could always spend 100,000 a month on a nice villa overlooking the sea as well...........

of course these are not in the area where all the "gals" are. Perhaps in these haunts you have to pay more for the "easy access" the "nightlife"

for those of us that live here and are not sexpats the houses and apartments that are quite far away from the "nightlife" tend to be the ones that are popular.

I am living in Kathu, it's 5 minutes to Central, Tesco, BigC or Makro, but in a very quiet and green area:

2bedrooms, livingroom, kitchen, air, ADSL line, UBC(1500.-Baht a month), hot water and a nice landlord plus a huge garden: 10000.-Baht a month.

Next to me is another house nearly the same but only 1 bedroom, they just moved out and I don't know if they have someone for this house(same landlord).

Just come down and drive around with a small bike to look in the small sois or ask one of the locals to find a place.

Good luck!

Gerd

almost speechless..... that is one hel_l of a place you have there..... cheers!!

Good luck!

Gerd

Just checked out (my house) you have a nice place, I have to ask whats the dogs name, the caption?? I have a Rotti think we have bitches from the same litter :o

so maybe the figures from people that actually live here are more accurate and up to date??

FYI you can get "one roomers" for just over 2000 baht per month, slightly better ones with aircon for 3000 month, single apartment size houses for 6000 a month. Of course you could always spend 100,000 a month on a nice villa overlooking the sea as well...........

of course these are not in the area where all the "gals" are. Perhaps in these haunts you have to pay more for the "easy access" the "nightlife"

for those of us that live here and are not sexpats the houses and apartments that are quite far away from the "nightlife" tend to be the ones that are popular.

I've lived here for 5 years and 2,000 baht a month for a livable room? I don't even know any Thai's who only pay that - The cheapest rooms I've seen are around 2,500 baht and 8 square metres or so total. Add in the fact that these are not in nice neighbourhoods.

I think for an apartment/condo with minimal western facilities and aircon, you are looking at 8,000-10,000 baht a month.

I have friends in 1 BR bungalows spending less than 6k / mo

my 2br HOUSE with yard <that the owner takes care of> is 9k/mo

Gerd's house (with nicer yard etc ...) is 10k a month .... but not in a beach town .....

Edited by jdinasia

Good luck!

Gerd

Just checked out (my house) you have a nice place, I have to ask whats the dogs name, the caption?? I have a Rotti think we have bitches from the same litter :o

His name is "Max", may be we know us from the dog shows in Chumpon or Surat?!

His mother is Ultra Crni Lotos.

His brother is "Bandit" and sister "Bella"

Cheers,

Gerd

Good luck!

Gerd

Just checked out (my house) you have a nice place, I have to ask whats the dogs name, the caption?? I have a Rotti think we have bitches from the same litter :D

Cheers,

Gerd

Thanks for reply. My dogs in the UK, :o you have a good looking dog, I thought it was a bitch hence the comment they look well alike :D

Good luck!

Gerd

Sorry I realise I'm well off the original supject :o

Just checked out (my house) you have a nice place, I have to ask whats the dogs name, the caption?? I have a Rotti think we have bitches from the same litter :D

Cheers,

Gerd

Thanks for reply. My dogs in the UK, :D you have a good looking dog, I thought it was a bitch hence the comment they look well alike :D

Life in Phuket sucks big time.

Lovely beaches, beautiful women, great street food and weekend markets, delicious food, great Korean restaurants, Subway sandwiches, no snow, no 1.5 hour ride to work in heavy traffic.

Anyone care to add more horrible items to this list?

Man, it is horrible here. I would avoid it if I could!!!

Hey

Just out of interest, does anyone have any idea of a reasonable price to pay for a house with a pool, within 30 minutes by car of Phuket Town.

Also, would your recommendation be to rent a nice condo with facilities or a house, given that I like to swim daily.

I have looked several times at the house in phuket website and have seen several properties on there at substantially above the price I had seen them elsewhere, so I would like to get the 'feel' for prices by you guys on the ground.

Kind Regards

Peter

I've lived here for 5 years and 2,000 baht a month for a livable room? I don't even know any Thai's who only pay that - The cheapest rooms I've seen are around 2,500 baht and 8 square metres or so total. Add in the fact that these are not in nice neighbourhoods.

I think for an apartment/condo with minimal western facilities and aircon, you are looking at 8,000-10,000 baht a month.

i wasnt aware that the OP had asked for a "nice area". what do you mean by nice anyway. There are rooms in the aprtment building down near Chalong circle for 2350 a month. Is that a non nice area?

is it not a nice area if it happens to have no "farangs" living there?

the Op asked what the actual costs of apartments etc are. Obviously there are differnt levels ranging from hovels to palaces. Just because you personally do not like the areas that cheap accommodation is in does not mean that other people won't.

For instace I personally hate the areas that are full of whinging Farangs saying how tough it is over here with having to comply to rules etc and would hate to live in a "condo" or housing area that was full of "them"

everyone has there own tastes. Liveable room?? to some people that would have to have the 50 inch plasma etc etc, other just might want a clean room in a quiet area with no air con cos they are on a budget.

hopefully coming down tomorrow, staying at Sun Hill Hotel, Patong Beach I think, as recommended on another thread, so I'll start there and work my way out, all sounds too good to be true after looking at what you can get for 10,000Bt per month in Bangkok, all I need is a good airport link and Air Asia and I'll be happy.