Building A House (Isaan)

If i was going to have a house Built in loei, would i be able to get a decent palce for 400-500,000 Baht, Thats for the house , not the land.

I dont want anything Flashy, just a normal house. I know my ex missus and her hubby built a real nice place in Mukdahan for 350,000, bungalow style, 2 bedroom. That was about 2 years ago

What you reckon? :o

You could probably build something modest for 500K, dependant on finishing.

There's a couple of Isaan houses on the photo albums of this forum - one in Korat (with the blue roof) and the other in Surin - built by Dutch and Jayneram respectively.

Both members get on the chat forum frequently - suggest you look out for them and have a chat, both very helpful guys.

Mine was built for a total price of Bht 800,000.00 or thereabouts. It's single storey, three bedrooms/two shower rooms (110 sq m without car port). Large kitchen (by Thai standards) with European style units, hob, hood, etc. Concealed electric cables, earthed and 35/100 A supply. No A/C at the time but hot showers. Price also included floor to ceiling tiles in kitchen and shower rooms, approx 1.00 m wide tiled pathway around perimeter, a 20 x 5 metre concrete drive, about 80 metres of 1.50 metre high rendered breeze walling, 30 metres of steel fence/gate, and what was considered by the Khmers to be a garden (250 sq m of 'lawn'). All external and internal painting, wallpaper in the living room and curtains throughout (Bht 50,000 for wallpaper and curtains) included in the price.

It was completed around 4 years ago. I was told by a Thai/Chinese builder's merchant at the time that I should expect to pay around Bht 5,500.00/sq m for the house itself but that would have been to Thai standard so I always anticipated paying a bit more.

It looks like what you are looking at could now be built for, say, Bht 6,000/sq m but as soon as you go for Grade A1 materials, which I'm sure you will, this may increase somewhat.

Just one word of advice - watch them like a hawk and don't leave the site whilst they're building.

Cheers

I saw the Blue roofed housee in the pictures, thats a big house, not sure i want anything that big, Going by your 800,000 baht house which sounds very nice indeed i think my 400 - 500,000 will make a nice place, probably end up spending more but its like a base figure, or a "i could have done it for" figure.

As far as being on site, i work overseas now, 3 months on, one off, so i may not be able to be there much, cant i pay the Father in law 10,000 a month to make sure things are going ok, and only 4000 a month if he Fux up? :o

i may not be able to be there much, cant i pay the Father in law 10,000 a month to make sure things are going ok, and only 4000 a month if he Fux up?  :o

Sounds like a sure-fire way of falling out with the in-laws. I'd wait 'til you spend more time there.

i may not be able to be there much, cant i pay the Father in law 10,000 a month to make sure things are going ok, and only 4000 a month if he Fux up?   :D

Sounds like a sure-fire way of falling out with the in-laws. I'd wait 'til you spend more time there.

Well i have decided just to leave it up to the Missus, besides, its her house so i am sure that she will make sure things are done properly, or at least as good as what she wants. For 500,000 baht i am certainly not going to worry about things too much.

Best i leave it up to her, then i will be free of worry, free of responsibility, i only have to pay for it, a good trade off as far as i am concerned :o

I called her today, she already has a headache with all the different people wanting to sell land, i am better off out of it i think.

By not indicating the size of the house, how can you talk price. Your words regarding what you want are so vague as to be unfathomable.

Before you spend a half million baht for a "nice" house in a foreign country, do your homework, or you will sure to be disapointed.

Whoever builds your house, will certainly have a different idea of what "nice" means.

The post that indicated 6k a sq. meter is a good start. I built my high end custom house in Chiang Mai last year for 6500 a sq. meter, but the euro kitchen and high end fixtures were extra.

If you are buying a house in Thailand expect the front door to open out, the bathrooms and kitchens to have 4-5 cm lower floors(a true tripping hazard), unenclosed showers, bathrooms that have small openings to the outside, etc.

single phase electric, no air-conditioning, etc.

If you want a comfortable western style house, wait untill you get here and work from building plans.

No matter how wonderful your Thai lady is, she has no real concept about building a house and to expect her to get one built that you will like is asking a lot. Even with architectual plans, I had to be on the job twice a day with my Thai speaking friend and it was still a nightmare to get it halfway right. I am talking about a single level, two bedroom, two bath house with a great room. The house measures 200 sq. meters. The plan called for 180 sq. meters but they measured wrong and built it larger than the plan. Windowless rooms and walls intersecting windows were just some of the mistakes made during construction.

After a few months of haggling with "The Thai family" I (or should I say the G/F haggeling with her family) is getting a house built for 300,000 baht........ when It was first suggested to me it was going to be about 1,000,000 but that was going to be one of the large concrete houses with three bedrooms. We are now having a 2 bedroom house made in thai style out of wood etc. I have seen the plans and they look pretty impressive.

The girlfriends uncle is supervising the build with local cheap labour. i realise I will never actually own the place, and Im not really botherd at least everyone is happy. :o

We are now having a 2 bedroom house made in thai style out of wood etc. I have seen the plans and they look pretty impressive.

The girlfriends uncle is supervising the build with local cheap labour. i realise I will never actually own the place, and Im not really botherd at least everyone is happy. :o

Nice one @ london Guy, hope it all works out well for ya.

Same as me, i know i wont never own it either, i think you are thinking like i am, i am not paying for a house for me, its for the other half, keeps em happy, gives some security which is what everybody wants. And lets face it, it ain't a lot of money is it.....................Imagine building a house for just over 4000 Pounds in England, lol, jesus christ, ..............unreal aint it, a months wages buys a house...i think thats why most guys reel in Horror at the thought of not having their name on the House deeds, cos they are thinking in European terms moneywise,but for the type of Money we are talking about it just don't matter.

Good luck with the House.....where did you get the plans from?

where did you get the plans from?

G/F uncle works as a builder and nicked them off his last job (always trust a Thai)

Not sure if it is going ahead at the moment just had a rather large domestic.... yes thats right over money " I dash her dreams and those of all her family" just because I have to get the car repaired this month.... and cant spare so much money. :o

Jayenram the Swiss cottage is the thing in the middle of the road at Swiss cottage. Prefer Kilburn myself always good for a laugh on a friday night :D

• 2 weeks later...

If I were you, I'd do the accounting myself and check the prices. A buddy of mine just had a one br, 2 bath with a beauty shop, very small, 500,000 land not included.

It looked to me like he got fleeced. My Sister in law had a 200 sq meter, 4 br, 2 bath house build in Bangna for 700,000. Land not included.

Good luck. I'm having a house build in a subdivision in Bangsaen, Chonburi. I would write a small book about that ###### nightmare, and it's only about 20% finished, 2 Million + land not included. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have been lucky, I have built two houses in Buriram one like a palace for 2 million Baht, and the other a bungalow with 5 Rai of land, my wifes family built them, now my brother in law is in great demmand by other ferrangs in Buriram.

It was built 4 years ago, so no idea what it would cost today, check it out on my site.

www.gandajones.co.uk

Edited by Thaicoon

Here's a link to pics of my house--building and land around 2mil. The land was fairly expensive because it's on a gated resort community.

http://www.davidclary.com/phupimarn.htm

I agree with the earlier poster about color coordination. My wife left all that to her brother and I'm not real crazy about some of the tile choices. But I love the woodwork on the overhang of porch and the railings.

Hi,

My wife, kids and I are currently building a house in Udon (hopefully live there permanent in 2 more years), it has cost us 3.7 million baht with the land. the land size is 16 Rai and the house size is 600 sqm. The land cost us 1 million baht, the house 2.2 million baht and the pool 500 thousand baht. The house is massive, with 7 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, media room, office, two kitchens (imported white goods and cook top/oven) and it is also double brick.

The prices I originally got were ridiculous, but after 9 months of looking around we found a lovely old Thai guy who was very straight with us. I am as happy as ###### with the outcome and only had a few small problems with the Orbator along the way, 20 thousand baht and the problems were gone :o

Congrats SB. Any chance of some photos?

thank you pnusted!

I have quite a few photos and will gladly post them here, how do I do it?

Thanks!

Orbator is the local mayor? or someting of that nature. He was the guy who we went to for building permission. We actually went twice and then the third time, he asked for a donation :o The house should be totally finished in around 2 more months. My family will move there whilst I am working away and then I will retire there in around two years. That is the plan anyway :D

Here's a link to pics of my house--building and land around 2mil.  The land was fairly expensive because it's on a gated resort community.

Hi Dave,

You've built a beautiful house in Thailand. And you have a wonderful view in at least one direction. I can see the fields far away with the mountains in the background. I really envy you that view. We have built our house in the middle of a village with houses and trees around us. Nice in many ways but impossible to look very far away!!

It looks like your house is built in different levels. Is the floor of some room(s) higher or lower than the rest? If so, do you have any more pictures from the inside to show this? What kind of kitchen do you have? Western or Thai?

How many rooms do you have and how many m2 are your house and your garden each? 2 milj baht for all that seems cheap to mee.

Good luck to you and your beautiful wife (yes I've looked in your private photo album too!! :o )

Y

It looks like your house is built in different levels. Is the floor of some room(s) higher or lower than the rest? If so, do you have any more pictures from the inside to show this? What kind of kitchen do you have? Western or Thai?

How many rooms do you have and how many m2 are your house and your garden each? 2 milj baht for all that seems cheap to mee.

Kind regards,

ThaiFarmer®

Thanks, TF.

Since it's going to be sometime before we actually occupy it fulltime, we're not putting in any appliances or A/C yet. So for now the kitchen is bare with a lot of tile counter space. This is where I thought the color choices were the most questionable so I didn't even put it on the website! :o My brother-in-law is supposed to send me a CD with a lot more detailed pictures.

My wife owns land in her village outside of Korat (Ban Thanot) and we may still build something small and simple there so we'll have a comfortable place to stay if the family has made me drink too many Chang's to drive home!

I have quite a few photos and will gladly post them here, how do I do it?

You need to go to Members' Thailand Photo Albums at the foot of the forum, then log-in. Not done it myself but I think it's straightforward.

Hi,

My wife, kids and I are currently building a house in Udon (hopefully live there permanent in 2 more years), it has cost us 3.7 million baht with the land. the land size is 16 Rai and the house size is 600 sqm. The land cost us 1 million baht, the house 2.2 million baht and the pool 500 thousand baht. The house is massive, with 7 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, media room, office, two kitchens (imported white goods and cook top/oven) and it is also double brick.

Hi Sickbuffalo,

First I must congratulate you to your house. It's incredibly cheap for a house of 600 m2. I've never heard anything like it. Just like Pnustedt I'm looking forward to see some pictures of this house. Exterior and interior please. If you don't have a website of your own you can upload your photos here http://www.thaivisa.com/gallery/ .

My experiences about house building are as follows (year 2003 prices):

A house of "high quality" (Scale: 1=simple Thai style, 2=medium, 3=high quality, 4=palace style) can cost around 10.000-12.000 baht/m2. This is only the house. Not the land!! No garden costs and no wall/fence around. All the material in each category of the best, or near the best, possible quality.

Measure rooms inside, behind 4 walls, under roof (=living area) and exclude the floor space covered by the walls (net area).

Made of concrete and one layer of bricks - foundation, pillars, beams and ground floor of reinforced concrete made on site. The "floor of the second floor" made of prefabricated reinforced concrete (for a two-storey house). Roof tiles of coloured concrete (blue is popular!). Metal windows with sunglass. All doors of solid carved wood. All floors covered with ceramic tiles (price around 300 baht/m2) (no marble or granite). All walls outside and inside painted (no wallpaper inside). Foot lists of solid carved wood. (One) western style kitchen fully equipped. One bathroom/floor western std with wall tiles all around, nothing extra or fancy. Electricity and water. Roof fans in some rooms and no AC.

Cost: Around 10.000-12.000 baht/m2 (work + material).

Work only: Around 10-15% of the total cost. I think a worker is paid around 150-200 baht/day.

With my figures your 600 m2 with so many bathrooms should cost at least 600x12.000=7.200.000 baht........!!!!! :o Only the work for this house should be 900.000 baht. And you paid 2.200.000 baht for all. Well, what a bargain :D .

If I calculate backwards: 15% of 2.200.000 is 330.000 baht for the work and then it remains 1.870.000 baht for the material! For a house of 600 m2!!! All together 3.700 baht/m2......... hmmm. Are you sure it's Thai Baht we are talking about?

But once again. Congratulations to you Sickbuffalo! I think many of us now want you to tell us the name of your construction company and your material suppliers. If it's possible to build this cheap then I will start to build luxuries houses and sell them to farangs at twice the price instead of farming.........!! :D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...