Overstand coffee shop

Ulysses G.

This is a newish place that specializes in gourmet coffee, snacks, sandwiches and salads. It is an unusual restaurant for Chiang Mai. They use the best ingredients available locally, so a little pricey, but, IMO, not for the quality that you get.

The cook seems to put his own spin on simple, classic foods and it does not have a big menu, but there are a few specials every day. Everything is recognizable, but not always exactly what you were expecting and sometimes that is a good thing.

They are only open until 2 PM. On Rachamanka Road, soi 2 behind John's Place

I had breakfast with my wife there last week- the coffee was great, and the food was decent as well (though I was expecting more after they were voted 'Best Breakfast in CM' on an FB page that rates and reviews CM restaurants)- they've got some interesting sandwiches on the menu that I'll head back to try for lunch someday.

I visited while on holiday back in Jan this year and was really impressed. The coffee was great and the food excellent I was with a group of half a dozen friends who were all pleased with their orders. The owner came over for a chat and let us try a few of his locally sourced pickles and smoked meats. I hope they do well as it's fantastic to see places like this. Unique, well managed and enjoyable.

The reviews are good, and he is putting a lot of effort into it. He is going for quality; not quantity, so don't expect large portions. It is correct that he closes at 14:00, and I also believe he is closed on Tuesdays. He is currently "hiring," and that can be good or bad....I wouldn't go in if it was packed.

Please don't post a picture of my house when your talking about me.

Bit of an invasion of privacy I think since the restaurant FB page doesn't have his name or pictures of his home.

If you got it from his personal FB page then definitely. If somewhere else even more so!

I had breakfast with my wife there last week- the coffee was great, and the food was decent as well (though I was expecting more after they were voted 'Best Breakfast in CM' on an FB page that rates and reviews CM restaurants)- they've got some interesting sandwiches on the menu that I'll head back to try for lunch someday.

Sorry but anyone who trust facebook is crazy. You do know you can buy likes and followers on facebook from third party companies. Facebook does not do a thing against this. So likes votes ect.... they just don't represent the truth on facebook.

Sorry but anyone who trust facebook is crazy. You do know you can buy likes and followers on facebook from third party companies. Facebook does not do a thing against this. So likes votes ect.... they just don't represent the truth on facebook.

Well, 'crazy' is a stretch- there were reviews from Chiang Mai residents who had been there (not just 'likes'), but I didn't find the food quite up to my expectations based on them- it was still a nice place, though, and- as I noted- the reviews of the coffee were spot-on, and I would try it again for lunch. While there may have been some biased or solicited reviews, I think most people gave their honest opinion. I am referring to the 'Chiang Mai Eats' page, which is a pretty good local source for restaurant reviews and information- sure, some people do what they can to help their friends out, but, by-and-large, I'd say it's legit.;)

He's referring to a poll done in a Facebook discussion group, not to people clicking "like" on an commercial facebook page. That discussing group is similar to ThaiVisa 's Chiang Mai forum except that it is only about food and the contributors are not anonymous.

He's referring to a poll done in a Facebook discussion group, not to people clicking "like" on an commercial facebook page. That discussing group is similar to ThaiVisa 's Chiang Mai forum except that it is only about food and the contributors are not anonymous.

Different story then.. but the fact that one can buy likes and so on severely undermines anything promoted on Facebook.

Archived